Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist

Sagging floor along curbside wall Rockwood 8280ss

I'm finding this to be a bit disturbing.

Was cleaning up and servicing our Rockwood 8280SS getting it ready for some fall camping. While mopping the floor I noticed the floor sagging along the curbside wall from the entry door, under the big side window back to the kitchen cabinets. It's as if the floor has "folded" along a crease. There is a channel for wiring made into the floor right along where the crease is.

When I measured the sag with a square, there is enough room to get a pencil under the square.

Does this happen often? There doesn't seem to have ever been any water egress. (at least not here, anyway) While I'm not at all happy with it, this is a 2008 built trailer and I'm wondering if it's worth worrying about. Or will the curbside wall someday just fall off into the yard?

Anybody else with this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0119.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	119465  

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
Site Team

While it may be disturbing, it's really nothing to worry about unless it gets a lot worse.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
While it may be disturbing, it's really nothing to worry about unless it gets a lot worse.
I hope not. Have you seen this before?

Our attitude toward this camper, since we like it so much, is we are going to drag it around until it rots off the frame. (or falls off, which ever comes first.) We are hoping this problem doesn't shorten that length of time.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #4
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
No problem with our 2010 8280 floor .....yet!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:06 AM   #5

Our 2016 WindJammer developed a soft area in the kitchen that was growing. It felt like only the linoleum was holding me up when I walked across it. I contacted the factory and they said the floor was delaminating, which happens occasionally. It was a defect in materials. I made an appointment and took the trailer to the factory in Millersburg, IN. First we had to remove all of our property and store it. They detached everything above the floor and raised it as an assembly with a special hoist, then replaced the whole floor assembly. Of course since my trailer is less than a year old, there was no question it needed to be repaired under warranty. I don't know if your RV is under an extended warranty. I was pleased that Rockwood made the trailer whole again.
Full-Time since 10/29/15
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:38 AM   #6

As long as the floor is still solid in that area I wouldn't worry to much about that. When I went through the tour, The first thing they do is bring in the frame, Then they lay the floor which is one whole piece then bolt it to the frame, then they flip the whole unit 90 degrees and do all the wiring and duct work while it is on it's side. The person might have just tightened the bolts a little to much on that side. Then the walls are installed. They sit on that floor. and bolted down. They could have also had the edge of the press with more pressure when they doing the delam process. As fast as they do this I'm surprised they come out as good as they due. I have a slight high spot in mine, but there is really nothing that can be done. Just make sure it's not a soft area and I think you will have many years of good camping... I'm not a fan of everything from the floor to the walls to the ceiling/roof all being laminated. I much would rather have a solid 3/4" plywood floor system.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
As long as the floor is still solid in that area I wouldn't worry to much about that. When I went through the tour, The first thing they do is bring in the frame, Then they lay the floor which is one whole piece then bolt it to the frame, then they flip the whole unit 90 degrees and do all the wiring and duct work while it is on it's side. The person might have just tightened the bolts a little to much on that side. Then the walls are installed. They sit on that floor. and bolted down. They could have also had the edge of the press with more pressure when they doing the delam process. As fast as they do this I'm surprised they come out as good as they due. I have a slight high spot in mine, but there is really nothing that can be done. Just make sure it's not a soft area and I think you will have many years of good camping... I'm not a fan of everything from the floor to the walls to the ceiling/roof all being laminated. I much would rather have a solid 3/4" plywood floor system.
Well W/D your Floor Wish "Almost Came True" the month before the Goshen Rally,Rockwood/Flagstaff started installing "5/8 Plywood T&G Floors!! This so far is JUST on the units made at the Plant that makes Windjammers/V-Lites/TT and 5 th Wheels,this does NOT apply to other Rockwood/Flagstaff Plants at the Present Time! They now use bat insulation under the floors instead of Styrofoam also! Just a Update! Youroo!!
Old 09-10-2016, 05:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Well W/D your Floor Wish "Almost Came True" the month before the Goshen Rally,Rockwood/Flagstaff started installing "5/8 Plywood T&G Floors!! This so far is JUST on the units made at the Plant that makes Windjammers/V-Lites/TT and 5 th Wheels,this does NOT apply to other Rockwood/Flagstaff Plants at the Present Time! They now use bat insulation under the floors instead of Styrofoam also! Just a Update! Youroo!!
That's good Youroo, atleast they are moving in the right direction, I hope they discover how much better a TT comes out with that. That's awesome that they are now finally installing real insulation under it. Maybe some light blinked on in there design team....Thanks for the update, nothing but problems with everything being laminated together....

Old 09-11-2016, 11:10 PM   #9

Now I understand how the floor in my WindJammer delaminated. Deb had us come by the plant to select linoleum since our original is out of stock. We met with service manager Floyd and saw the new floor already built and ready to assemble to the trailer. I was surprised to see the plywood floor because I have never seen plywood delaminate as our floor had. So the new floor is better than the original. I also noticed our floor vents are clean; the original vents had lots of construction debris. Rockwood did a great job on the repairs.
Full-Time since 10/29/15
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Now I understand how the floor in my WindJammer delaminated. Deb had us come by the plant to select linoleum since our original is out of stock. We met with service manager Floyd and saw the new floor already built and ready to assemble to the trailer. I was surprised to see the plywood floor because I have never seen plywood delaminate as our floor had. So the new floor is better than the original. I also noticed our floor vents are clean; the original vents had lots of construction debris. Rockwood did a great job on the repairs.
One thing about FR, when you have to go back to the factory and do a repair like that or a roof it always comes out better then when you purchased your unit. I know my new roof could not have been put on with more care and detail then coming down the line...

Old 10-20-2020, 12:47 AM   #11

We have the same issue with our 2013 8280WS. How is yours holding up. Has your problem got worse? Did your walls fall off!?
cachencouple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, rockwood