Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #1

Satellite radio question

We just purchased a 2012 8281SS and are very excited! We're heading out this weekend for the maiden voyage.

Our trailer came with a XM Onxy sattelite radio but I would prefer a Sirius Sportster instead. The problem is that the wall mount is a hair small for the Sirius. Does anyone know where you can buy the flip out wall mount that Rockwood uses and will fit a Sirius radio?
cowpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpaddy View Post
We just purchased a 2012 8281SS and are very excited! We're heading out this weekend for the maiden voyage.

Our trailer came with a XM Onxy sattelite radio but I would prefer a Sirius Sportster instead. The problem is that the wall mount is a hair small for the Sirius. Does anyone know where you can buy the flip out wall mount that Rockwood uses and will fit a Sirius radio?
We started out with 3 Sirius radios (Car 1 & 2 and a house unit). GMC Truck came with XM but I moved the car radio to the truck for a while.

Then the camper came with the XM SkyFi 3 so I bought a car kit for the camper radio; canceled all three Siruius radios as they came up for renewal and went with XM. I never looked back.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
Grumpy Old Member

I, too, have been very satisfied with the XM system that came in my Windjammer 3008w. While I don't relish paying for radio, the reception is excellent almost wherever I am and the integration into the Genesis is decent.

To ask a question. Why would you prefer the Sirrus product instead of the installed one?

CZ
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZazzara View Post
I, too, have been very satisfied with the XM system that came in my Windjammer 3008w. While I don't relish paying for radio, the reception is excellent almost wherever I am and the integration into the Genesis is decent.

To ask a question. Why would you prefer the Sirrus product instead of the installed one?

CZ
Probably has a Ford or Dodge TV and they come with Sirrus so it would be cheaper to add a second receiver to that contract. (well here in Canada anyway as Sirrus and XM are still seperate here)

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Probably has a Ford or Dodge TV and they come with Sirrus so it would be cheaper to add a second receiver to that contract. (well here in Canada anyway as Sirrus and XM are still seperate here)
They are separate everywhere. While both companies are now Divisions of Sirius Holdings, they are completely different.

The only think the merger did for us was allow XM subscribers to pay for "certain" Sirius content for more money and vice versa (VV).

BILLING is separate and Sirius radios can NOT be added to an existing XM account at the "second radio" rate (and VV).

They told me for over a year I would be able to but 4 years later...
Still NO.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #6

I'm thinking of switching to the Sirius radio as there are features on it that XM doesn't have. I miss the song/artist alert that I had on my old Sirius radio for one.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #7

Since the content switch last month the radios have exactly the same programming and in many cases the stations are the same number whether Sirius or XM.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Since the content switch last month the radios have exactly the same programming and in many cases the stations are the same number whether Sirius or XM.
Not totally true Don. The "Best of Sirius" is extra on XM and the "Best of XM" is still extra on Sirius. Also Sirius still offers free Internet streaming but XM charges a monthly fee for it.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #9

XM SkyFi 3 Satellite Radio System

Lou can you tell me how the XM SkyFi 3 satellite radio system that came with your trailer has worked out with the car kit? I have the same system that came with our 2010 Rockwood 2604SS and I have not activated it. I have seperate XM service for two of my other vehicles as it came built in with the vehicle radios. I have thought about cancelling the service for the vehicles and purchasing a car kit which I would move to each of the other vehicles when I use them. I assume I would neeed to install a seperate antenna in each vehicle as I understand that the above system will not adapt to use the satellite antennas built in to the vehicles. My system does include the home adapter so I can use my stereo system to use same. I think this would be the best of all worlds, one system for the trailer my vehicles and my home! Your thoughts would be appreciated!
Gunnarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

You would need to buy a SkyFi 3 car kit for each vehicle. Each would have its own cigar lighter power cord and roof antenna. You would also need a dash mount or windshield suction cup mount to hold the car kit cradle that the SkyFi 3 plugs into. Big job of installation on each car.

Why? When the XM is already installed in them?
Just add them (or the SkyFi) to your current sub.

If you did not have ANY Satellite or you had Sirius in one or more; then it is a different story. I use the car kit in my DW's car because she does not have an MP3 capable CD player or Satellite in her car now.

As to the house, the SkyFi 3 comes with a house kit that you can hook it up to your stereo when you are home and not in the camper so you get use out of the subscription when you are not camping.

My two cents.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #11

I too have the XM system in my TT and Sirus in my truck and have looked for a docking station and receiver to replace the XM in my TT. No luck yet. To be honest I haven't searched very hard because I have been using the music stations available on my Dish or Pandora.
If I find a Sirius setup for the TT I will post it here Cowpaddy. Good luck.
As an aside, I let my Sirius subscription expire and waited for them to contact me. On their third attempt I told them that if they would renew me at 50% off and waive any fees I would sign up. They did!
Stevea1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies. I will keep looking as well.