Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2008, 06:20 AM   #1

Satellite TV worth the money?

I have a 2002 #2502 I just purchased and I was wondering if getting Satellite tv was worth the money. I'll prolly stay in my tt a total of 10 times this year and wanted to know what you all thought it was worth paying for a years worth of service. I guess I can get a dish and a receiver for around $200 bucks. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
jessebunnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
Site Team

If you don't have Satellite in your Bricks & Sticks then it'd be hard (for me) to justify the cost for 10 times a year. I have it and take a reciever out of the house to use in the RV so it doesn't cost me anything. Even if I got a dedicated reciever for the RV it would only be about $60/year so that would still be acceptable.

It really boils down to how much you like your tv and how much you're willing to pay to have it a few hours while you're camping. That's a question only you can answer.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #3

When I had sat TV I had an extra dish and would drag the receiver outa the house when camping (sometimes).

I don't watch enough TV so I don't have sat anymore.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #4

Perhaps the benefit would be better reception then the cable at some of the RV parks. I dont know if it's because they have the cable split between so many sites at some of these parks, but i've been at some where the cable channels look like over the air broadcasts. I would think with satellite you'd be the only one getting the broadcast so it should be as good as your house reception. I've thought about going from cable to sat. in my house just for this reason but I just really dont watch that much tv to begin with so i just leave it as it is.
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
gate

as long as i can get a few channels with good reception i am happy. i like to watch local news and either jay lenno or dave letterman when i go to bed. i pay way to much for basic cable at home and wont pay any more!!!
gate33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #6

I have four receivers in my house for Direct TV, I take one receiver with me when we go camping and I have an extra dish, so there is no extra money out of my pocket. It's good if Cable is not avaible and if stations are hard to get.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #7

I have an extra dish that I made a stand for, took a receiver from the house. No way was I going to spend extra money on another system. Worked good but sometimes a pain to set up since we camp under the trees a lot. Now I don't even take it anymore. If no cable we still have DVD's that we take along.
1973 Airstream Ambassador
Old Town Penobscot 16
gillguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #8

Thank you for the response. I sort of thought the same thing. I really can't justify spending the money for something I won't use too often. I'll stick with over the air and the cable!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #9

Just remember that come Feb 2009 you will need a digital converter to receive signal over the air unless you purchase a new TV with digital tuner. Govt will give you a coupon for $40 of the box (2 per address).
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:05 AM   #10

Any SAT TV signal fed into your TV will take care of the digital issue... i.e. if you have SAT TV you have no worries about this 2008 Digital thing. Same thing goes for Cable.

On the OP's question... I would agree with those who said, If you have SATTV at the house already, then it probably makes sense. If not, then you probably cannot justify it.

Personally, we like it, but we have three receivers at home, so we just pull one from the Game room and take it with us. Looks good on that 26" LCD! Camping in the fall, we find the SAT TV invaluable to watch the good football games!

We do not bother taking it with us when we have just one night planned. Two nights, then we like it.

I would love to buy a Vu Qube to take with me. Several of our camp mates have them and they are simply incredible... you can have your DirecTV set up in a couple of minutes. Literally. And much more compact than an 18" Dish. BUT... that $699 is a pretty steep price for us.

Hope this helps,

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #11
Cyber Phrenologist

I vote to save the money

TV is one of the things I go out camping to get away from. The others are e-mail, phones, US postal service. I do keep the SAME weather radio on.

I'm one of those who can listen to the majestic silence of Gods creation and be entertained for days at a time.

(Not to poop on anyone elses parade... )

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #12

Ditto
hail chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:41 AM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Sabre Tooth
I have sat tv and I only get the basic package and local channels for 19.00 plus tax per month. After the first year I just pay for the months that I'm camping. This is through Dishnet
Sabre Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #14

Bit the bullet!

Well folks, I know have satellite tv. I can't live without racing and football...........and BOSTON RED SOX so I went ahead made the phone call. Thanks for all your replys, the were very helpful.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #15

Fellow SOX fan here! GO SOX!

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #16

I found that taking the Satellite system is a waste of time. Practically all of the private RV parks have cable. It's also a pain to set the Sat System up.
Harry York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:22 AM   #17

Where do you all pick up an extra dish? Have 4 receivers in house that we can take one.
What else do you need to hook it up. Also will one receiver in RV work for different viewing in bedroom and in the living area? Thank for the help
Old 09-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #18
Site Team

Amazon or E-bay is the best place to get a dish. If you can catch an installer they will usually have a few they'll let you have for a few bucks.

You'll need some kinda stand whether it's a tripod or homemade one. A compass is usually a good investment. A satellite finder is good if you don't mind spending the money. A length of RG-6 cable (I'd suggest at least 100') You may need siamese (pair of cables attached side by side) depending on your setup.

You'll have to take two recievers if you want different channels in two different locations. You can't use the "cable" tv jack on rig to hook to the satellite dish without some modifications. Some RV's come with satellite jacks too though.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #19

I bought a dish at Radio Schack a couple of years ago and the tripod from Campers World, they have two types of tripods. I bought the smaller one and we are very happy with it because the tripod is easy to install, it has a way to anchor it to the ground using a large cork screw device. I use a tent stake instead.......

It is so nice to have sat. tv when we are out......
Old 09-02-2008, 03:17 AM   #20

We do the same as most; have Dishnetwork at home and take a box when on the road. I got an extra dish after sending an e-mail at work offering to take old dish's off people's hands. I actually ended up with numerous Direct TV and several Dishnetwork systems.

I go on-line armed with the Zip Code of where we will be and pre-set angles for dish. When we arrive, I simply point that bad-boy to the southern sky and generally only have to move it a little bit for good signal.

Would love to get a 'vue but agree those seven bills could be better spent on something else !

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood