Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2021, 09:49 PM   #1
Open Space Wanted

Screen Door Lockout

Getting ready for bed around 1:30 a.m. during the last trip and had to close the outer door since there was a storm coming and the screen door doesn't do well with rain. Went to open the screen door and wouldn't unlatch. Tried the outer handle and the same thing...it was stiff and afraid I'd break it if I pulled harder; I actually wanted to break the PoS but too late in the night for that. Wife tried and same issue.

Had tools in five different locations outside but none inside...note to self: add a multi-tool to the inside. The various knives inside weren't good choices for the Philips head screws and couldn't see what my options were on the outside. Could have ripped out the screen to crawl out but that would be more repair work. Used the emergency window exit...just make sure you put a pillow over the frame to prevent bruising.

The handles still wouldn't budge from the outside which used Robertson head screws, but didn't think that would get me much since I'd have to also unscrew the inside. I unscrewed the strike plate from the door frame and problem temporarily solved.

Finally got time to work on it today and took it apart. Didn't see anything wrong with it and put it back together. It worked smoother than before. Also didn't see any sand in there; the beach has strange ways of destroying things.

Here are pics I took in case anyone is interested. I also took the spring and rod out but forgot to take shots of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	261683   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	261684   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	261685   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	261686   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	261687  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	261688   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	261689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	261690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch 2.jpg
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	261691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	261692  

RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:30 AM   #2

Had the same problem earlier this summer. Inserted the tip of a knife between the door & frame & wiggled the catch just enough to operate the handle and open the door. We were starting to consider using the emergency exit, but fortunately didn't have to.

I removed, disassembled, lubed, & re-assembled the latch mechanism like you did - no change. Very odd...

I noticed that if I pulled the door in a little (or pushed it out, can't remember which), before operating the latch, it worked normally. The plastic surface of the catch was *ahem* catching on the metal edge of the striker plate & getting stuck. We've only had it happen once though - perhaps twisting of the door frame caused by leveling/jacking/etc at that site moved the catch/striker out of ideal alignment.

We've also had random occurrences of the outside door lock not unlocking. We tried flipping the keys, tried both keys, nothing. Then, after an appropriate amount of cursing & threatening, it randomly went back to working normally again. We've been using just the deadbolt as we really don't want to be locked out!
ttocsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:49 PM   #3
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocsmi View Post
Had the same problem earlier this summer. Inserted the tip of a knife between the door & frame & wiggled the catch just enough to operate the handle and open the door. We were starting to consider using the emergency exit, but fortunately didn't have to.

I removed, disassembled, lubed, & re-assembled the latch mechanism like you did - no change. Very odd...

I noticed that if I pulled the door in a little (or pushed it out, can't remember which), before operating the latch, it worked normally. The plastic surface of the catch was *ahem* catching on the metal edge of the striker plate & getting stuck. We've only had it happen once though - perhaps twisting of the door frame caused by leveling/jacking/etc at that site moved the catch/striker out of ideal alignment.

We've also had random occurrences of the outside door lock not unlocking. We tried flipping the keys, tried both keys, nothing. Then, after an appropriate amount of cursing & threatening, it randomly went back to working normally again. We've been using just the deadbolt as we really don't want to be locked out!
Appreciate the feedback and thought I was the only one.

I also tightened the latch on the main door since it was getting loose. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's much to hold screws in either. Noticed the door was getting a little harder to open/close before this happened so that could be a telltale sign it may happen again. Was doing some prep work last night before our next trip and functioned as it should.

It's a little awkward with the key system and have a better grasp of it now when using both which I always do. The keys are fragile too. Tried the touch pad and it works but not with the dead bolt which I always use when we're away. If someone really wanted to get into a camper it's not hard.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, lock