Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #1

Screws

I have a 2016 Windjammer. The last two trips, upon arrival, I have found a screw laying on the living area floor. I cannot find where these screws are coming from. They are about 1/2” long, silver with the head painted black.

Anybody have any ideas where these are coming from?
djurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #2

Could be anywhere. Several of mine fell out of my valances over the windows.
corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:57 PM   #3

They toss a handful in each RV to keep the new owner guessing.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djurden View Post
I have a 2016 Windjammer. The last two trips, upon arrival, I have found a screw laying on the living area floor. I cannot find where these screws are coming from. They are about 1/2” long, silver with the head painted black.

Anybody have any ideas where these are coming from?

My dealer/salesman told me this is very common. He stated he had actually found a cordless drill left under a cabinet of a unit from the factory! Lol
Bdlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markval View Post
I, too have found screws on the floor, but was always able to figure out where they go. I have also started going around tightening screws every time we get to a destination. Now I don't try to check every one, but I do try to do a visual every time.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:19 AM   #6

We've had screws that hold the ceiling fan blades to the rotor shaft come out and wind up on the floor. But it could be worse. A tech once told me a customer arrived at a campground and found the microwave on the floor.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:40 AM   #7

Check around thoroughly, but there is a good chance it is just loose screws that an installer dropped and didn't bother to pick up.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:44 AM   #8

Quote:

And check your invoice to make sure they didn’t charge you for them.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #9

sounds similar to ones I found in the living room area. look under the foldout couches to see if they came out of the frame. mine did where the fold out legs attach to the frame.

a friend of mine gave me some advice when we bought out trailer. he said to get a jar to hold all the loose screws that we will find. what he should have said is get a large jar. get a small bottle of locktite and use it when you put the screws back in. it helps a bit.

one other thing that amazes me is that we store our trailer in a storage lot with many other rv's and U-Haul trailers. every time I go over I walk an area of the lot looking for loose screws and nails on the ground. (I don't want them going through my tires). and every single time I find some. it amazes me how many trailer there appear to be driving the roads with so many missing fasteners. it a miracle they don't just hit a bump and fall apart.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #10

Playing devils advocate here...as a general contractor for over 30 yrs now, i can say that dealing with “wood” (especially pressboard, laminate or millimine), which is an imperfect material, ANYTHING can happen. Now factor in the continual movement and road hazards and you have a “rolling earthquake “ something WILL work lose. If you have a wood screw that wont reset, break off a wooden toothpick flush with the hole and reinsert screw. That will fix it. If its affixed into metal ( ceiling fan sconce, fridge trim etc), thats a different situation which may require going to a different size or even a different tread screw just to get it to bite. I hope this helps
Bdlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #11
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdlnky View Post
Playing devils advocate here...as a general contractor for over 30 yrs now, i can say that dealing with “wood” (especially pressboard, laminate or millimine), which is an imperfect material, ANYTHING can happen. Now factor in the continual movement and road hazards and you have a “rolling earthquake “ something WILL work lose. If you have a wood screw that wont reset, break off a wooden toothpick flush with the hole and reinsert screw. That will fix it. If its affixed into metal ( ceiling fan sconce, fridge trim etc), thats a different situation which may require going to a different size or even a different tread screw just to get it to bite. I hope this helps
Well said. Try towing your house down the road at 60 MPH. Probably wouldn't last 10 miles before it collapsed. As for the toothpick trick... old school, but effective!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
sounds similar to ones I found in the living room area. look under the foldout couches to see if they came out of the frame. mine did where the fold out legs attach to the frame.

a friend of mine gave me some advice when we bought out trailer. he said to get a jar to hold all the loose screws that we will find. what he should have said is get a large jar. get a small bottle of locktite and use it when you put the screws back in. it helps a bit.

one other thing that amazes me is that we store our trailer in a storage lot with many other rv's and U-Haul trailers. every time I go over I walk an area of the lot looking for loose screws and nails on the ground. (I don't want them going through my tires). and every single time I find some. it amazes me how many trailer there appear to be driving the roads with so many missing fasteners. it a miracle they don't just hit a bump and fall apart.

You are the winner! They came from the brackets under the fold out couch. I also noticed a couple of loose screws on the window valances. I will routinely check for loose screws in the future.
djurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #13

Quote:
That funny....
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote