Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #21

Somewhere here there is a thread where a unit was taken to the dealer to secure a cabinet in the front of the RV...they screwed it in there alright. Screws stuck out of front cap about 2 inches...like 25 of them.

Chin up. It will be ok.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Somewhere here there is a thread where a unit was taken to the dealer to secure a cabinet in the front of the RV...they screwed it in there alright. Screws stuck out of front cap about 2 inches...like 25 of them.

Chin up. It will be ok.

Thanks I know it will!
stlramper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlramper View Post
I don’t want to sound stupid but what is this?
It's a caulk used on trailers with EDPM roofing commonly used on trailers. Amazon has it. It's generally useful for providing a moisture seal where needed. It's a little tricky to work with, have to be careful when applying, but it's a wonderful sealant.

For horizontal surfaces, they have a self-leveling sealant, which is more commonly available.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #24

I want to thank everyone for the time trouble efforts and compassion with our situation! We appreciate it greatly and we will live and learn and MoveOn!!!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:43 PM   #25
FingerMade

Had a similar problem but not as large of a piercing. Still maddening. I filled the whole with a little wood putty that hardens. Sanded it level with very fine sandpaper, 320 grit. The bought spray almond colored epoxy appliance paint and brushed the paint on in several light coats sanding between with even finer paper. Then polished over that with Nova plastic polish. Water and air tight and hardly noticable. Good luck. You can also buy a grl coat repair kit in s color that matches. My plan worked equally as well.
2017 Ford F150 XLT Ecoboost
2017 R Pod 179
FingerMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #26
2017 Windjammer 3029w

Caulking seems a little semi permanant vs a plastic filler such as epoxy as stated should be fully permanent. I would consider a epoxy putty that you mix by squezing together and press in the hole and level off flush. Caulking eventually can fail but this stuff is solid and permanent.a sticker on top would hide it, but such a small hole would be unnoticable either way. If you called Forest River, they may even supply an official plastic sticker to look factory original.
Dastagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #27

Good idea thank you very much!
Old 11-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #28

Check with a company that carries professional masonry supplies. Sikaflex and other brands are available in many colors to match various types of brick, stone, mortar, etc. You can probably find something pretty close. You'll have to purchase a large tube of it but the leftover may come in handy.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #29

Thnxs!!
Old 11-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #30

On a previous TT we replaced the standard entry door grab handle with a taller one and it left a screw hole in the aluminum siding as a result. I just put a small dot of Proflex caulk on it and could barely see it. Forgot all about it after that...

Never use silicone caulk on the exterior of an RV. There is caulk specifically made for the exterior of an RV.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #31

I would call Forest River and explain the situation. I'll bet they may even have a small kit for repairs like this. When I had a problem, they sent me a tube of calk to take care of the seal. Easy to work with and worth the call.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #32

Thnxs!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #33

You are welcome. By the way, if you haven't done it already, don't forget to take those long screws out of the wall and cut off about half the length (although Forest River may want the whole ones back if they are doing a fix) before putting them back in. I am sure, now, you will always do what I do and that is check the screw length and the wall thickness. Some non-factory stuff comes with screws for house walls and those screws will also go through the walls (like TV mounts). I often use the screws to act as a starter thread, making sure I don't go in too far, and then cut the end off and put it back into the wall. If you don't hit a stud, you only have to clear the first layer of the wall sandwich - usually less than a 1/2 inch is enough. Good luck.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:47 PM   #34

Thnxs!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #35

I did that with one trailer and cut the screws off flush and put silicone on it.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:26 AM   #36

How long were the screws?

Ford F150 5.4L B&W Companion Hitch
updated to Andersen Aluminum Ultimate Hitch 2017
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote