Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2020, 07:34 PM   #1

Sewer anxiety and hose/tool recommendations

We're taking delivery of our Geo Pro 19BH next week. This will be a major upgrade from the tiny Aliner we've been using for the last 5 years.

I'm trying to gather all the necessary items I'll need for dumping the tanks --- a job that I'm not excited about and part of the reason we camped as a family of 5 in that tiny Aliner for so long.

I believe that there is a 'hose caddy' underneath this model. I'm looking at buying a higher quality sewer hose, but suspect that this caddy will not accommodate an elbow bracket.

Do I need an elbow bracket? We'll be using dump stations mostly at state parks. We will not be camping at full hook up sites. I would like to store all hose and hose-related materials in this caddy, and not in a tote in the trailer storage.

Anyone have specific suggestions for what to buy and how to store for this model? Anything else you'd recommend to a reluctant first-time tank dumper?
mdf257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #2
PhD, Common Sense

You’re going to want a “tote” of some kind for accessories. Only the hose will store in a typical caddy.

A hose is a hose is a hose is a hose. Get two.

A clear elbow is a good idea. You don’t want to (but you actually do want to) see the mess going through.

A vendor at the International Rally sells sandbags for holding the hose in place. I recommend one of these.

You also want a caterpillar for your hose to lay on. Tanks empty much better is there is a continuous slight down grade from your tanks connections to the sewer.

Keep the gray hooked up at all times, but closed. Open it regularly for a few minutes every few days. Leave some water in your gray tank to use after emptying your black tank to kind of “rinse” your sewer hose.

Some will scoff at this, but: disposable rubber gloves.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #3

Thanks!

Disposable rubber gloves was my first purchase.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #4

Another option for supporting your hose that many folks use, a simple vinyl u-shape gutter. Lots of people, myself included have gotten 5" fence post and mounted them under the trailer. The gutter, hose, and some of the connectors will fit. I got mine at Home Despot.
You can also use one of these posts to store a camp rug or fishing poles.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:03 PM   #5

At home I have a dump port with a nice fancy hose and elbows and clear fittings and an expanding rack etc... It works great and goes in a nice plastic enclosed bin.

At the typical campsite I use the hose out of the bumper storage and some gloves. I just pull on my gloves, pull out the hose and dump the black then the grey. I stuff the hose down the hole and put my foot, a rock, anything over the end so it won't blow out. Rinse the hose with the grey and any water available at the dump station. Put everthing away and wash my hands and gone.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #6

Carry a little bucket for misc. Removing the cap sometimes you get a dribble. Place to Cart an elbow. gloves. I use heavy cleaning gloves. Disposable are swell.

We have 30’ of hose. We have had to use 20’ more than once. Not often.

You need a clear piece on the hose. My clear 90 degree elbow for the sewer connection, works.

Hand wipes near the valves. Some parks require the slinky caterpillar supports.

I bought caps for the ends of my hoses. Store my hoses in a special tote.

We bought the better hose. Viper as I remember. Ours are three years old and swell. Cheapies are cheap.

A dump wagon is necessary to be in many parks more than a long weekend. Depends on bodies using the toilet. The DW and I can make a week easy on 40 gallon tank.

A cheap water hose for serious clean outs! Not your drinking water hose!!!

Not really much.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf257 View Post
Do I need an elbow bracket? We'll be using dump stations mostly at state parks. We will not be camping at full hook up sites. I would like to store all hose and hose-related materials in this caddy, and not in a tote in the trailer storage.
Your hose will probably be ok for your first trips, but it probably won't hold up over time. It will give you time to shop for a hose with the right diameter to fit your caddy.
You'll need a hose end adapter to fit into the dump connection. Something like the following will adapt to most fittings at the park and give you a clear elbow to make certain you've dumped everything.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-RhinoFL...J6TD9F6TV437XH
Old 06-23-2020, 08:31 PM   #8

Thanks for all the quick and reassuring replies. I'm putting together an order of some essentials right now.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #9

I’d forego the slinky support for your sewer hose. It sounds like from your post you will not be hooked up to a sewer but rather using a dump station. One less thing to carry with you

I agree you will need a tote. I put it in the back of the truck so I’m not cross contaminating the storage compartments. At home I rinse it out with water and a splash of bleach.
Lowes48fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #10
Site Team

In my 20 years of owning RVs, I've NEVER had to use my tote tank for black water. Only for gray water.
Unless you've got a really small black tank or are in the same spot for weeks, you shouldn't need to use a tote tank for black water.
Newbies to dumping often are freaked out about black water. It's gray water that requires more dumping since your gray tank will almost always fill up way faster than the black tank.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:32 PM   #11

Dumping

Along w/ other suggestions, I added a large oil filter pair of pliers. It has knobs on the end of the wrench that grab the flange on the sewer hose. It helps get it unstuck when tight. My valves are underneath the trailer and this makes it easier and works better than a pair of water pump pliers. They are $10 on Amazon.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:12 PM   #12
Just A Member

Take a look at Valterra EZ Hose Carrier. They are adjustable and come in various lengths to fit the space you find for it. You can store your hose and all your connections in this carrier. You will have to do some engineering to mount it but when you are done, you will be very pleased with it. Camping World or Amazon have them.
https://www.campingworld.com/adjusta...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
It is assessable from either end. For a hose support, get you a piece of 4" PVC from Home Depot. Cut it in half then cut it to a length that will work for you. Support it with blocks of 2 X 4. Looks like you will have to cut and paste the link I included for Camping World since I am technically challenged. Good luck!
Old 06-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #13
Just A Member

Here is the correct Camping World link.

https://www.campingworld.com/adjusta...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 06-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #14
Just A Member

Well, it will not post the entire link so here is the part number.

Item No. 104632

Adjustable EZ Hose Carrier, 34-60"L, Black

They come in various lengths then they are adjustable.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #15

Forgive my ignorance but no 4x4 rear bumper to put the hose into? I store my Camco Rhinoflex in my bumper. Just have to find a place to carry the adapter, I rigged a post on the rear tire carrier.
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:48 PM   #16

After using a/the restroom over the years you have had a moment where it is imperative to wash your hands real good, You handled that, you'll handle this.
Happy camping!
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
In my 20 years of owning RVs, I've NEVER had to use my tote tank for black water. Only for gray water.
Unless you've got a really small black tank or are in the same spot for weeks, you shouldn't need to use a tote tank for black water.
Newbies to dumping often are freaked out about black water. It's gray water that requires more dumping since your gray tank will almost always fill up way faster than the black tank.
I may have misunderstood when he was asking about a "tote". I wasn't thinking of the wheeled tank you empty your gray/blank into and then pull it to the dump station. Although I realize "tote" is the term used to describe them. I was referring to using a plastic storage tote (think RubberMaid with a lid) to keep the hose, elbows, etc. in for storage. I have my slinky hose and assorted fittings in a storage tote with a lid that I transport in the back of my truck to prevent contaminating the storage compartments on the trailer.

Sorry for my confusion!
Lowes48fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowes48fan1 View Post
I may have misunderstood when he was asking about a "tote". I wasn't thinking of the wheeled tank you empty your gray/blank into and then pull it to the dump station. Although I realize "tote" is the term used to describe them. I was referring to using a plastic storage tote (think RubberMaid with a lid) to keep the hose, elbows, etc. in for storage. I have my slinky hose and assorted fittings in a storage tote with a lid that I transport in the back of my truck to prevent contaminating the storage compartments on the trailer.

Sorry for my confusion!
"confusion?? Don't think so, most of us keep our dump hose, elbow, extra caps etc in the TOTE
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #19
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeeling View Post
Well, it will not post the entire link so here is the part number.

Item No. 104632

Adjustable EZ Hose Carrier, 34-60"L, Black

They come in various lengths then they are adjustable.
This is the one we have. The Rhinoflex hose, ends, clear elbow and the adapter flange fit perfectly inside.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #20

we've all had differing experiences with handling our holding tanks - just as some 'demand' that everyone 'must' wear gloves, use 'their' chosen sewer hose brands, and 'do it' just like they do, every time!, while others of us tend to keep things simple, just bring out the hose, attach, dump, put the hose back in storage, and you're done. It's not that hard. And if you always let the gray sink/shower water be the 'wash out' of the hose, you've made things even quicker and simpler.
But, that's just us, everyone will do 'what' they feel comfortable with, but no, it's not a big deal - you are just letting your holding tanks drain into a hole - don't complicate it.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote