Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #21

Everyone's situation is different

Everyone's situation is different.

Our Cherokee 38P is permanently stationed at a resort which provides electricity, good cable TV and good soft water, but no sewage hookups. There are several dump stations.

We have a 25 gallon two-wheeled tote we haul with the golf cart (have hauled with car or truck), and two hoses One has bayonet fittings and is used to drain the tanks into the tote. The other has a bayonet fitting on one end and an elbow and pipe segment on the other end to drop into the dump fitting (aka septic system). I rinse the first hose by draining gray water last. I rinse the second hose and tote at the dump station.

When not in use, the tote slides under the trailer and the two hoses are draped over it.

After tearing through a pair or two of disposable gloves, I gave up and simply wash my hands with the hose by the trailer and the hose at the dump station.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
we've all had differing experiences with handling our holding tanks - just as some 'demand' that everyone 'must' wear gloves, use 'their' chosen sewer hose brands, and 'do it' just like they do, every time!, while others of us tend to keep things simple, just bring out the hose, attach, dump, put the hose back in storage, and you're done. It's not that hard. And if you always let the gray sink/shower water be the 'wash out' of the hose, you've made things even quicker and simpler.
But, that's just us, everyone will do 'what' they feel comfortable with, but no, it's not a big deal - you are just letting your holding tanks drain into a hole - don't complicate it.
2X
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:44 PM   #23

I really like my Camco Rhino Flex hose.

its nice how you can close the accordion and it stays closed in storage. (But it don't like to be walked on as it will retain a dent.).
If you buy the whole kit, it comes with a 1/4 turn clear piece that will screw onto (most) sewer site fittings and some ends to cap the hose for storage.

You don't want to just stick the end of your hose into sewer pipe, it lets stink out, and can go in far enough to clog the "T" at the bottom and stop other sites from draining .

I also bought some Camco RV Revolution hose one trip where my 20' Rhino was not enough (and its all campground had). its Heavy duty hose but its a "hose in a hose is a hose" type that don't stick closed like the rhino flex.
One piece developed a hole after only a couple uses.

I carry Two-Rhino 10' and 1 Revolution 10' not sure I need that much but with my last camper (truck camper) I used to park on some lots backwards so the rear of camper faced the direction I wanted, which caused me to need longer hose.

to slope the hose from the RV to sewer inlet I use one called a Slunky sewer hose support. I have had it for many years with no issues. I would stay away from the metal ones.

and as everyone else said, gloves.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:13 PM   #24

I'm sure I'll repeat a few comments. Here goes:

1) Giant Zip-Loc bags...2.5 gallon. They will hold your extra hose parts. An elbow is handy, because it will stay put in the dump hole, and it keeps your hose level on approach to the hole. Stick it in the Zip-Loc.
2) Nice Stinky Slinky: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
GET ENOUGH HOSE so you don't have to stretch it. God forbid the damn thing pops out of the dump hole while delivering the goods. I have two of these.
3) I'm assuming your GeoPro has a black tank flush. But if not, this is a must: https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-De...omotive&sr=1-2
This or Camco...and guess what? Both will fit in a giant Zip-Loc.
Add a "dirty" garden hose so you don't need to use your freshwater hose.
4) Get a flip lid tub or duffel to carry your dirty "stuff" like the Zip-Locs.
IF YOU HAVE OUTSIDE ACCESS to under dinette storage, install a little plywood partition so you can keep dirty separate from clean.
5) For sure, nitrile gloves. Use 'em and toss 'em.
6) If your grey and black merge at the black, one of these so you can dump grey and water the bushes or tote it to a vault toilet: https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Durab...sr=1-7-catcorr
If you are lucky enough to have a separate grey water dump, one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-Bl...-garden&sr=8-2
A short length of garden hose (12" to 20" long) and a 5 gallon bucket will extend the grey water tank indefinitely. Carry your leveling and stab jack plastic blocks in the bucket. If you had a straight out the side dump from the sink in your A-frame, you have a bucket and know how to use it.
IF YOUR GREY AND BLACK MERGE, always save some grey water to flush out the stinky slinky after the nasty stuff is done.
7) 5" fence post and caps make a nice storage place for your stinky slinky.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
8) Hand sanitizer...even nitrile gloves don't catch everything, and you might forget and handle dirty stuff with bare hands. Have it out and handy so you don't need to touch your car door handles and stuff with questionable hands.
9) Black tank treatment: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 There are lots of choices, but I've had good luck with this stuff.
10) Status check? Turn off the water pump. Grab a flashlight. Trigger the flush pedal/lever. Look.
11) Always handy for thorough "maintenance": https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Flexi...omotive&sr=1-2

Did I mention 2.5 gallon Zip-Locs?

It's a shitty job, but somebody has to do it. And lucky you, you're that somebody.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:47 PM   #25

Many are recommending something to carry the hose in. With the exception of elbows and other connectors, the hose and caps should fit inside your rear bumper. You may have to line up the bumps at the joints with the corners of the bumper, but it works.

I used to use a fence post cover with a gutter in it to store the hose under my hybrid, but it's not necessary. It's just one more thing to fabricate and maintain. Now I use the bumper and my 2 sections of Rhino hose fit just fine.

If you don't buy a special gray hose for the black tank rinse and general clean duty (as someone said, a hose is a hose), make sure you clearly label the hose you do use. Also, put a back flow preventer on it to avoid contaminating the (possibly) potable source you connect it to.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #26

Great tips on here, thanks everyone! I made one big order for odds and ends to help with this process yesterday, but will pick up some jumbo bags and a few of the others before our first trip out, probably right after the 4th.

I am a chronic over-thinker in most aspects of life, so I appreciate the suggestion to remember that it is not that hard! I'll take my time, remember the basics, and I am sure it will get easier after the first time or two.
mdf257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #27

Remember that the purpose of camping is to enjoy being there, not to work on the camper. Keep it simple where you can.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #28

I got a (under 10 bucks) tool bag from harbor freight for all my attachments and extra elbows.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf257 View Post
We're taking delivery of our Geo Pro 19BH next week. This will be a major upgrade from the tiny Aliner we've been using for the last 5 years.

I'm trying to gather all the necessary items I'll need for dumping the tanks --- a job that I'm not excited about and part of the reason we camped as a family of 5 in that tiny Aliner for so long.

I believe that there is a 'hose caddy' underneath this model. I'm looking at buying a higher quality sewer hose, but suspect that this caddy will not accommodate an elbow bracket.

Do I need an elbow bracket? We'll be using dump stations mostly at state parks. We will not be camping at full hook up sites. I would like to store all hose and hose-related materials in this caddy, and not in a tote in the trailer storage.

Anyone have specific suggestions for what to buy and how to store for this model? Anything else you'd recommend to a reluctant first-time tank dumper?
As others have mentioned... disposable nitrile gloves, hand sanitizer, tote tank (we use it for gray water not black - never do fill up the black water tank on the trailer). I use a clear adapter at the valve to keep an eye on the process, but you can put it anywhere along the hose. Yes an elbow is needed... gotta have one to transition into the sewer at the dump station... and they make models that come apart for easy storage! And I always carry at LEAST two sewer hose sections... never know when you'll need that extra 10 feet or so.

I do like jimmoore13's list! Very nice!
1999 Chevy Silverado 2500
campkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Many are recommending something to carry the hose in. With the exception of elbows and other connectors, the hose and caps should fit inside your rear bumper. You may have to line up the bumps at the joints with the corners of the bumper, but it works.

I used to use a fence post cover with a gutter in it to store the hose under my hybrid, but it's not necessary. It's just one more thing to fabricate and maintain. Now I use the bumper and my 2 sections of Rhino hose fit just fine.

If you don't buy a special gray hose for the black tank rinse and general clean duty (as someone said, a hose is a hose), make sure you clearly label the hose you do use. Also, put a back flow preventer on it to avoid contaminating the (possibly) potable source you connect it to.
Like previously stated...and you’re well aware at this point, plenty of opinions to go around. I have the same trailer and as there’s no rear bumper I got a screw on lid for a 5 gallon pail at Lowes. My caterpillar, clear elbow and separate hose for the black flush fit in nicely and my fresh water hose, disposal gloves and electrical cord still leave some space in the hatch. It’s a beautiful trailer and you’ll love it, and learn from any mistakes.
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
At home I have a dump port with a nice fancy hose and elbows and clear fittings and an expanding rack etc... It works great and goes in a nice plastic enclosed bin.

At the typical campsite I use the hose out of the bumper storage and some gloves. I just pull on my gloves, pull out the hose and dump the black then the grey. I stuff the hose down the hole and put my foot, a rock, anything over the end so it won't blow out. Rinse the hose with the grey and any water available at the dump station. Put everthing away and wash my hands and gone.
I agree w/MtBiker. This is how it’s done.
I do believe that upgrading your hose is encouraged as the basic one that you’re given during purchase, is pretty thin. It’ll get small pinholes in it from rubbing inside your bumper storage and laying/sliding on concrete.
MSPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #32

https://72land-n-sea.blogspot.com/20...ewage.html?m=1

But since I wrote this blog, the jumper packs have changed. Now you cant just pull 12 volts from them UNLESS they are connected to a 12 volt source. 🙄
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
https://72land-n-sea.blogspot.com/20...ewage.html?m=1

But since I wrote this blog, the jumper packs have changed. Now you cant just pull 12 volts from them UNLESS they are connected to a 12 volt source. 🙄
Good Lord man, we're running a bunch of water to clean the tank with a HOSE. we use the geo method to stop cling on's and drop-ins for no ugly odors, Been done that way for many years, let these folks enjoy camping and not have to re event the wheel.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf257 View Post
Great tips on here, thanks everyone! I made one big order for odds and ends to help with this process yesterday, but will pick up some jumbo bags and a few of the others before our first trip out, probably right after the 4th.

I am a chronic over-thinker in most aspects of life, so I appreciate the suggestion to remember that it is not that hard! I'll take my time, remember the basics, and I am sure it will get easier after the first time or two.
Yes, great tips here. One other thing I did is I installed a Valterra waste sewer valve just as a matter of extra "security" on the tank outlet.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:10 PM   #35
Hot Dog Slayer

I don't stay more than a week at most places, and have only ever did the trailer dump as I'm leaving the park, so with that said the only thing I use is the sewage pump in my trailers bumper.

I grab a pair of gloves, take the bumper cap off, grab the hose and attach it to the trailer. Run the hose to the dump box, put a rock on top of it and then pull the black handle.

WARNING........

Just make sure that you have attached your hose correctly to the trailer before pulling the black handle, trust me your shoes will thank me later.

If there is a sag in the hose as it's emptying, then I wait until its pretty well done and then lift the hose to drain the remainder of the crap out........literally.

Then go and close the black handle and open the grey..........follow same procedures and you're all set.

Pro Tip..........don't lick your fingers until you've washed them!

2016 Forest River Microlite 21DS

2019 Ram 1500 Pearl Red Limited
Geobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:19 PM   #36

Didn't notice it mentioned, but keep your black tank valve CLOSED until you're ready to dump it. That way you have enough flow to properly drain it and to avoid the poop mountain building up inside the tank. I keep both valves shut on my rig until the monitors indicate the need to be emptied. I dump the black first, use a 'backflush' idea to put water from the grey tank into the black for an extra rinse, close the grey again, drain the black 'rinse' water, then the last of the grey tank flushes the hose sort of clean.
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:54 PM   #37

I think I may have a slightly different perspective. I have worked in nuclear power (radiation dose is invisible) and the sewer business (black water is visible and smells). I do use gloves most of the time, depending the cleanliness of the campground/sewer dump. I do wash hands at the end of the drain.

Since I have been sprayed with sewage head to toe a few times due to failed temporary hoses under pressure, had to reach into tanks to remove blockages/recover broken parts so they would not get sucked into a pump and do further damage, replace a pump while liguid was overflowing, emptying my tanks seems rather benign.

I will readily admit, when younger (prior to sewer experience), I did not enjoy emptying tanks, but, Its not so bad, once you do it a few times. I found the initial imagination was much worse than the actual event. I no longer like the appearance of vegetable soup.

The clear elbow is very important IMHO, to verify flow. I have had paper clogs in the black tank requiring some effort to get draining action to continue. Also, keep a mental picture of expected tank volumes vs. the actual flow and time duration of flow. Despite various “cures”, my black tank indicates full all the time.
Do empty black tank first, using gray water to clean the hose. Also, do not use the picnic table as a work surface for cleaning or coiling the hoses/connectors. I also have 40 feet of drain hose. Started with 20, but at a campground in Florida (2 years ago), the sewer connection was a long ways off. Just had the same problem in Bogue, NC. Glad I had the hose.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:11 PM   #38
GeoPro Owner

I have a 19QB which is nearly identical to your model. The storage tube under the camper works well however anything longer than a 10ft long hose when compressed is too long to fit when the end door is closed.
Get a matching 90 degree clear elbow. I store that in its own Rubbermaid container.

I also use the tank flush that's mounted on the back of the trailer. It helps clean off any tp that gets stuck to the side walls of the black tank. Make sure this is a different hose than your fresh water hose.

No need to over think this.
bsinc1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:23 PM   #39

" nuclear power" some serious s%&t we got going on now
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:43 PM   #40

My take on this... We camp at state and county parks. #1 rule, no pooping in the camper! what happens in the camper, stays in the camper! Not everyone agrees with that. But I feel that is what the public bathrooms are for. So I am only dealing with liquids. Any paper goes in the waste can. I have used the cheapie 15' hose that came with the camper for 12 years. Never felt the need for anything else. It stores in the bumper. You don't need to make it more difficult than it has to be.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote