Old 06-29-2020, 11:15 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
My take on this... We camp at state and county parks. #1 rule, no pooping in the camper! what happens in the camper, stays in the camper! Not everyone agrees with that. But I feel that is what the public bathrooms are for. So I am only dealing with liquids. Any paper goes in the waste can. I have used the cheapie 15' hose that came with the camper for 12 years. Never felt the need for anything else. It stores in the bumper. You don't need to make it more difficult than it has to be.
COVID changes the calculus on that.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:52 PM   #42

Waste Master sewer hose suggestion

Waste Master System is what I installed about 2 yrs ago. I just came about finding this, and I liked it, but havent seen much about it. I think it should be a standard on trailers. It has cam locks on the hose instead of bayonet.

I replaced both the piping outlets to 3" on both black and grey. The owner at Waste Master designed, cut, and dry fitted everything. I just installed a strap hanger, and used plumbers putty on tanks, and ABS glue on the rest. Very clean install. A little expensive, but I worried about how well the 2" grey would drain. In reality, the grey is always fairly clean water, I think the main thing is to get that woosh with the black tank, and back washing with plenty water. Btw, Ive used the bio-method for 2 yrs, works great so far. If time allows, I also dump a 5 gallon bottle of fresh water directly into the toilet after 1st dumping, and let it woosh it out as an insurance that nothing is sitting in tank.

Heres my post showing more details:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2190984
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	232777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3157.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	232778  

Treybecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:43 AM   #43

I bypassed the black tank mess completely. When we ordered our 2020 Surveyor last fall at the Hershey show we had already decided that we were not going to mess with the black tank. When we took receipt of the camper we took out the factory toilet and installed a composting toilet. We are so happy with this. No black tank mess to deal with, we now use that black tank in conjunction with the gray tank in the bathroom which gives us 70 gallons of gray water storage there and we still have our 40 gal for the kitchen. When we retire in a few years we are taking a cross country trip and plan on doing a lot of dry camping so this will work out perfectly.
jhudson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #44

You need to practice the "dump station dance" for when things go wrong. Bend down, and reach your arm straight out and lean forward as if you're reaching for the valve. Crouch down as far as you can, then leap backwards as far and as hard as you can. That is exactly what you will do if the hose connection slips off at the trailer end. If you can't cover 8 feet, you'll need to practice, or get you know what on you.

Moral of the story is regularly check the clamps that hold the hoses to the fittings.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:06 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
" nuclear power" some serious s%&t we got going on now
Actually, me too. I was an Engineering Laboratory Technician in the Navy. I used to monitor radiation, contamination and the cooling water chemistry for the nuclear reactor on a submarine.

I'm with FormerFR in post #20 on this one. It's just not a big deal to me. I was at a dump station once and the guy in front of me hops out of his RV, pulls the hose out of a storage compartment, connects one end to the RV, jams the other end against the opening of the sewer port, opens black, stops draining, opens grey. Everything stops, shuts the valves, caps the hose, sticks it back in the storage compartment, rinses the concrete pad for about 15 seconds with the hose at the station for that purpose, waved at me, and he was done faster than it took me to type this out.

That's the way I do it to. Hand sanitizer afterwards. It's more important what you put into the black tank to begin with....
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #46

To answer the OP's question, the clear elbow on this Rhino Hose fits inside the storage tube of our new E-Pro 19FBS and works well.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg
Old 06-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #47

What a great thread. I have learned more about poo-processes/logistics/words-o-wisdom then I thought possible.

I am rebuilding a toyhauler and getting ready to enjoy traveling. We have decided that when possible to use camp site facilities *or* McDonalds as encountered.

2000 Bloomer Toy Hauler
2000 FLHP
1958 DW
djglover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #48
Hot Dog Slayer

I gag watching my brother-in-law eat, so I guess getting one of those see through 90 degree joiners isn't so bad........although second thought, I think I can live without one.

2016 Forest River Microlite 21DS

2019 Ram 1500 Pearl Red Limited
Geobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #49

Sewer Caddy big enough

The Geo Pro is essentially the same camper as the E-pro. Our E-pro has a large enough sewer hose caddy under the camper (not in bumper) to store multiple sewer hoses and can accommodate a 90 degree elbow if you take off the insert (for the dump station) which is easy. It cannot be connected to the hose but I just put it in after the sewer hose(s). It also handles the 45 degree elbow (also not connected).

The dumping isn't really that bad. I'm a newbie and was not looking forward to it but it has not been a problem. I do have a tote that I put my rubber gloves, water hose for black tank rinse (if your camper has that) and to rinse out the sewer hose at the end. But it is a small tote--no problem.
alan.krech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #50

Hello Folks!!

I'm a newbie to the RV Life, still don't have a rig, but hoping to soon!

I'm learning a lot from you folks and I thank you for sharing your experience.

I have a few questions, so I don't mean to hijack the post. Hopefully this will help other newbies too!

1. How long does the "designated" hose for flushing the grey/black tank have to be? recommendations?

2. When you're actually draining the system - is there actually a pump that runs to push/flush the tank and hose? If so that means there will be some amount of pressure, in that hose. Does the hose need to be held/secured at the end point to the sew tank? Or is the simple friction seal all that maintains the hose securely?

3. I know there has been much discussion on which TP to use? Not a big fan of single ply. Can I safely use regular old Charmin or Northern from grocery stores? Do I need to periodically use those tablets you flush down the toilet for odor control, or is there something that you flush that helps dissolve the stuff in the tank?

Sorry if these are gross or stupid, but I guess everyone had these questions t some point.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Steve
Silverado333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:57 AM   #51

We also keep cheap crocs in our our tote to wear while dumping. It is amazing how much rinsing doesn't get done after someone spills at the dump station.

Overall, it's really not that bad. My wife, who get nauseous at anything even slightly mal-odorous has only gagged once while dumping the black tank. That was due to a guy next to us dumping his turd tote. He was having issues getting everything to go where he wanted.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:58 AM   #52
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
Hello Folks!!

I'm a newbie to the RV Life, still don't have a rig, but hoping to soon!

I'm learning a lot from you folks and I thank you for sharing your experience.

I have a few questions, so I don't mean to hijack the post. Hopefully this will help other newbies too!

1. How long does the "designated" hose for flushing the grey/black tank have to be? recommendations?

2. When you're actually draining the system - is there actually a pump that runs to push/flush the tank and hose? If so that means there will be some amount of pressure, in that hose. Does the hose need to be held/secured at the end point to the sew tank? Or is the simple friction seal all that maintains the hose securely?

3. I know there has been much discussion on which TP to use? Not a big fan of single ply. Can I safely use regular old Charmin or Northern from grocery stores? Do I need to periodically use those tablets you flush down the toilet for odor control, or is there something that you flush that helps dissolve the stuff in the tank?

Sorry if these are gross or stupid, but I guess everyone had these questions t some point.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Steve
1. Long enough to reach from the dump valve to the sewer connection. That will vary wildly.

2. Gravity only.

3. Water. Lots of water. Then more water. Be sure to dilute the water with water.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:01 PM   #53

a few more answers

For sewer hose length, I recommend that you have 15 feet. We have a 10 foot and a 5 foot. At a dump station, 5 is fine. At a campsite, sometimes you need 15.

There is no pump for flushing. However, the tank can send the water out pretty fast. I never rely on press fit because if the end were to come out, then the process would suddenly be a much yuckier one. Always have a partner hold the hose in with a foot or use a big rock (often at these connections) so it doesn't come loose.

The TP we use is 2 ply from the RV store so more "biodegradable" than Charmin or Northern. Our salesperson said any 2 ply would do. Haven't wanted to try that. But the stuff we got was fine unless you want to use it when wet. But you do want it to dissolve some in the tank.

Yes, use the tablets--they help break down the waste so that it is less likely to gum up the works and lead to tank gauge errors. Also, I was told to always put 1 gallon of clean water in after dumping. This helps things not dry out and stick to the tank because you never get everything out.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:19 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.krech View Post
For sewer hose length, I recommend that you have 15 feet. We have a 10 foot and a 5 foot. At a dump station, 5 is fine. At a campsite, sometimes you need 15.

There is no pump for flushing. However, the tank can send the water out pretty fast. I never rely on press fit because if the end were to come out, then the process would suddenly be a much yuckier one. Always have a partner hold the hose in with a foot or use a big rock (often at these connections) so it doesn't come loose.

The TP we use is 2 ply from the RV store so more "biodegradable" than Charmin or Northern. Our salesperson said any 2 ply would do. Haven't wanted to try that. But the stuff we got was fine unless you want to use it when wet. But you do want it to dissolve some in the tank.

Yes, use the tablets--they help break down the waste so that it is less likely to gum up the works and lead to tank gauge errors. Also, I was told to always put 1 gallon of clean water in after dumping. This helps things not dry out and stick to the tank because you never get everything out.
Thanks for the info! I was referring to the "garden hose" length used to flush the gray/black tank, as well the the 20' Rhino Extreme hose I have ordered (with a 10' extension). Is a 3 foot length of hose too short, dont think a 25" hose is needed either? Or,, is it?? IDK.

So the dump of the tank starts by gravity, once the gate valve is opened? Huh - didnt know that! So I guess the friction securing the hose to the sewer port is all that is needed. I have no need to add any kind of pressure to the fitting going into the ground - so it doesn't pop out and make a mess?

Thanks again!
Steve
Silverado333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:21 PM   #55

flush hose length

We started with 15' hose to flush tank. Barely long enough (unless you don't mind moving the camper). Bought a 25' one and much happier. Fits in our not too big tote.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:33 PM   #56
Site Team

It does amaze me the lengths people go to, to avoid dumping a black tank.
To spend thousands of dollars on a portable house and then not use the toilet.
And I much prefer to use my own toilet, to a public bathroom, especially in these times.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
And I much prefer to use my own toilet, to a public bathroom, especially in these times.
Yes, indeed!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 40; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:13 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhudson13 View Post
i bypassed the black tank mess completely. When we ordered our 2020 surveyor last fall at the hershey show we had already decided that we were not going to mess with the black tank. When we took receipt of the camper we took out the factory toilet and installed a composting toilet. We are so happy with this. No black tank mess to deal with, we now use that black tank in conjunction with the gray tank in the bathroom which gives us 70 gallons of gray water storage there and we still have our 40 gal for the kitchen. When we retire in a few years we are taking a cross country trip and plan on doing a lot of dry camping so this will work out perfectly.
funny, you used the word "hershey"

2014 Dodge Durango
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:21 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
My take on this... We camp at state and county parks. #1 rule, no pooping in the camper! what happens in the camper, stays in the camper! Not everyone agrees with that. But I feel that is what the public bathrooms are for. So I am only dealing with liquids. Any paper goes in the waste can. I have used the cheapie 15' hose that came with the camper for 12 years. Never felt the need for anything else. It stores in the bumper. You don't need to make it more difficult than it has to be.
You bet, nothing more pleasant than a public crapper

2014 Dodge Durango
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:21 PM   #60
Hot Dog Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

Not me!

I bought the toilet, the rest of the rig just happened to be part of the deal!

2016 Forest River Microlite 21DS

2019 Ram 1500 Pearl Red Limited
Geobound is offline   Reply With Quote