Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2020, 09:09 PM   #1

Sewer smell...why?

Ok folks help us out please. Took out our 2504s for a great family vacation and now have a problem we have never experienced...the trailer smells like a porta potty, I mean bad!

Here is the interesting twist; we were on full hookups which isn’t a usual for us, I loved the fact that I could take my time on the dump process. I dumped black tank, rinsed several times with the black tank flush, then drained gray and was excited....only to get home and realize the entire trailer smelled awful.

Two days now and still stinks. Tanks are totally empty, now what and why is this occurring!?!?

Sincerely,

Skunky Trailer
FreeDivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:52 PM   #2

You might have a faulty or plugged vent or If you have a Dometic toilet you may have a leak between the top and bottom halves. Look at the back of the toilet where there is a large cavity. On some toilets this area accumulates urine. If this is the case and you are under warranty, Dometic will send a replacement or upgrade for an additional cost. If this is the problem post your findings here and we can make recommendations.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDivr View Post
Ok folks help us out please. Took out our 2504s for a great family vacation and now have a problem we have never experienced...the trailer smells like a porta potty, I mean bad!

Here is the interesting twist; we were on full hookups which isn’t a usual for us, I loved the fact that I could take my time on the dump process. I dumped black tank, rinsed several times with the black tank flush, then drained gray and was excited....only to get home and realize the entire trailer smelled awful.

Two days now and still stinks. Tanks are totally empty, now what and why is this occurring!?!?

Sincerely,

Skunky Trailer
Does it smell like urine? Do you have a Dometic Model 300 toilet? If you do just search this website for model 300 problems..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:19 PM   #4

Obviouesly you didn't get all the solid waste cleared out.
If it was me I would fill the blank tank up to max with chemicals and go for a ride and dump. You may have to it a few times as it seems your method of dumping didn't get 100% of the solids out.

It will take time and if you can't do it you can pay come someone to pressure wash the tank at a campground.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #5

Does it smell bad inside or outside? If it is inside, I say check the Dometic toilet like others have suggested.

If it is outside, check your battery. I recently had an issue where is smelled terribly outside of the trailer and finally discovered it was my battery gone bad.
NEOCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #6

Replace any air admittance valves you can find.

Bruce
Old 09-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Replace any air admittance valves you can find.

Bruce
If I’m understanding they are located under the sinks? They just screw in?
FreeDivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #8

Stank!

You were on full hookup, but did you keep black and gray dump valves closed till tanks filled?

You have to do that, which you probably did...

Million recipes out there, but for us, we use Happy Campers tank treatment in the black and gray tanks.

Throughout the hottest summer weather there has been zero black or gray tank odors, in the trailer, outside and when dumping, again zero odors.

Hope you get yours figgered out!
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #9

Backflow Preventer or Anti Siphon Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDivr View Post
If I’m understanding they are located under the sinks? They just screw in?
That is a whole 'nother can of worms...

The valve usually found just under bathroom sink bowl is inline on the black tank flush line notorious for leaking water into the camper when blk tk flushing and reported allowing blk tk odors into the trailer.

Google search rv anti siphon leak for that. (I removed ours, replaced with a straight union and put the anti siphon outside on the connection to the blk tk flush)

But, should not have the blk tk odor coming out of that IF the blk tk vent pipe to roof of trlr is clear.

Again a good tank treatment such as "Happy Campers" will remove odors on a properly clean blk and gray tank.
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #10
waybeck2018

Same problem here. After every dump, flush and clean until clear water runs through. Then repeat a flush with 50% of tank capacity and dump again seeing clear water. Next week end smelly toilet !! But, only notice it if the front AC is on. I am thinking the vent, which is close to the AC is sending the vapor and it is sucked up into the AC inlet. But, after a couple days the scent is not there whether the AC is running or not.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #11

I second the suggestion to search here for posts on Dometic toilet issues before doing anything else. Depending on the model year, you might have a "defective" toilet. We called Dometic Customer Service cause we were having the same problem with our 2019 2509s this spring. They upgraded us to a model 310 for $75, and we've had no issues since.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:35 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Our camping friends's had this problem. It was the Dometic 300 toilet and after the third time, they junked it. Dometic replaced it twice because waste was leaking out where the two pieces of the toilet were joined. He just bought a new ceramic toilet to replace it. We'll confirm the fix in a couple of weeks when we make a weekend out for a poop run.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote