Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #1

Should I worry?

Hello all,
This is my first year winterizing our 2504s. I drained the fresh water tank and left the drain valve open, drained, flushed, and by passed the hot water heater. Then with the very valuable help of the DW, I pressurized the city water connection with air while she opened the sink, shower, and tub valves one at a time to get the water out. Then we opened the antifreeze port inside and I hooked up my hose connection and hose to a jug of antifreeze. Turned on the pump, it picked up the pink just fine and ran each faucet til pink came out. Same with toliet and both showers. My unused filter housing sill had water in the bottom half so I depressured the system and pulled off the canister and emptied it. I also poured antifreeze down each drain. The question I have is what about any water that might be left in the line from the fresh water tank to the pump? If it froze wouldn't it just push any expansion into the empty tank? Am I worried for nothing? I thought about putting in 3-4 gallons in the fresh tank but if I did that what would be the point of having a antifreeze port? Thanks in advance for any replies. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:59 PM   #2

Any water between the fresh tank and the pump should drain back into the tank unless your pump is somehow mounted below the tank. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. It appears you did all of the right steps to winterize.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
Site Team

run the pump for a few seconds to clear any water. Not enough to worry about in lines. i do not recommend putting antifreeze in FW tank. To hard to get it out. Check to make sure there is no liquids behind the black and grey drain valves.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #4

Don't forget the check valve on the city water connection and depending how it is plumbed you might have to blow out your black tank flush if you have one.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #5

Smile

Thanks for the replies.
PSU Turf, my pump is higher than the water tank. Maybe in switching the valve over to the antifreeze port might have let a little air in the fresh water line. Nothing extra came out of the open tank valve.
Flybob, when I switched the valve over to the antifreeze port, all the rv antifreeze was went through the pump. I agree with you about not putting antifreeze in the fresh tank. Based on my boat experience it is a pain to get it all out. I drained out the grey tank but because I am at home the black hasnt been drained. It has 1 gallon of water, some blue stuff and about 1-1/2 gallons of pink in it. I would think that if it froze there would be plenty of room for expansion. We may camp this winter if we do I will dump it then and throw in some pink.
Toddupton, when I used compressed air to blow out the lines, I hooked it to the city water connection. That made sure that between the connection and the tee in the pump output line has the water blown out of it. I completely for got about the black tank flush, will go out there and blow that line out today! Thanks for the replies. Jay
Old 11-18-2016, 05:53 PM   #6

Went outside and blew air through the black tank flush line at the back of the unit. Based on the sound of the air I think the line was empty. A little off topic, but does that black tank flush hose just dump into the black tank or is there some kind of spray nozzle inside the tank connected to the hose? Thanks again. Jay