Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Newoldbie

Show us your 2701SS

I see the minilites and the 8312SS are showing off, how about showing off some 2701SS?? Show us your rigs, include your TV as well and share some stories, new stories are great and old ones are golden.
Don't be shy, show me yours and I will show you mine later..lol I have been following the forum for awhile, I have learned some things and can't wait to try them out. Spring has sprung, so time to show them off, those that are waiting on orders, post some later or just tell us your plans.

We bought our 05 last November, finally got to camp two weeks ago and forgot the camera, so I don't have any pictures, I know I know. But we had a great two days, and even a bad day camping is better than, well you know. We parked where we had a 280 view of Smithville lake (we love the windows in the 2701)
Weather was warm and cold, bought a Smokey Joe Gold and charcoaled some brats, what a waste of charcoal, wish we would have done burgers...oh well next time. Drug some dead wood out of the woods and made a marshmallow roasting fire, had two of the six grandkids, they had a blast. The camper was perfect, all systems worked and were tested heavily. The water was still off at the lake, so we filled up the tank before we left home and used about 75% in three days, no showers though, drove home for those.
I am taking over payments on our son's 2005s Denali to pull the thing with, I love the short wheel base, because you can back it into any campsite or driveway. I have the equalizer hitch with sway control, pulls like a dream, and with it's 8100 lbs towing capacity, weight is not a concern. First tried pulling her with my 01 F150 Super Crew and the air dam behind the cab and in front of the camper, made it seem like your pulling a sailboat under full sail...
We were able to dump the holding tank, but again no water, the black tank was awful, previous owners just didnt care. I came home ordered a tornado and a dual flush for next time, also ordered a brace for under the step and a bumper hitch for the back to haul bicycles..anyway enough about us, what about you? Anybody going to the FROG rally? We were thinking about it, it's only about a four hour pull for us. Thanks for letting me ramble..
12Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #2

here is my 08 2701ss and my 05 ccsb gmc duramax.first picture of truck and trailer, second of just trailer, third is my table leg mod, fourth and fifth is my garbage drawer mod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	083.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	5080   Click image for larger version

Name:	082.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	5081   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	5082   Click image for larger version

Name:	277.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	5083   Click image for larger version

Name:	280.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	5084  

skidoonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #3

first and second pictures are my added silverware drawer, third and fourth are my nite table mods and fifth is my safety rail for the bunk.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	274.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	5085   Click image for larger version

Name:	276.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	5086   Click image for larger version

Name:	281.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	5087   Click image for larger version

Name:	282.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	5088   Click image for larger version

Name:	285.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	5089  

Old 03-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #4

first is the shower door i added, second is the heat duct i addded to bathroom, third is the center stabilizer jack i added(takes all the bounce out of the trailer) and fourth is the hunter digital thermostat. just a few of the man mods i have done to my 2701ss.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	288.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	5090   Click image for larger version

Name:	289.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	5091   Click image for larger version

Name:	jack01.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	5092   Click image for larger version

Name:	286.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	5093  
Old 03-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
JEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoonut View Post
first is the shower door i added, second is the heat duct i addded to bathroom, third is the center stabilizer jack i added(takes all the bounce out of the trailer) and fourth is the hunter digital thermostat. just a few of the man mods i have done to my 2701ss.
LOVE the mods!! I have the 2702SS and may have to borrow some of your ideas!

2005 Ford F150 Lariat V8 5.4L
2011 Rockwood 2702SS
JEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
Newoldbie

Those are awesome photos and mods, wow now I have more to think about!
My table has folding legs, which I thought would be useful if you took the table outside, but then you can't adjust height for leveling. Love the trash can mod, pure genius! We have not really used shower to need heat, but I wondered about how you get heat in there, besides the opening at the top of the door. How about A/C in the bath, humid here in the summer, I guess you get air from the top of the door? I wondered about the bunk and keeping grandkids put, the jacks are a great idea, I just bought a stow away jack for the steps, and I am building a set of tire chocks with the wing nut to tighten between the wheels. I did not notice the middle moving, but we only camped once. Why change the thermostat, more control, using time to adjust temp? I like the nite table as well, I actually thought of turning the carpeted area in front of the table into a hamper with a basket in the belly storage...think about it...lol Thank You, good stuff!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #7

12kids i built the tire chocks between the wheels the first year. they work great but really took none of the bounce out of the centre of the trailer. the thermostat does a great job at maintaining the temperature in the trailer. i put in a y from the heat duct from under the bunk beds. i have never had a problem with the bathroom being too warm in the summer but it gets very cool in there during our early or late season camping trips.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	086.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	5097  
Old 04-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
HogHead

I too liked all the modifications, we just picked up our 2701 '11. Sitting at the free standing table I felt that it was a bit wobbly. Hate to have my drink spill. Any suggestions for a fix?
Bauerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #9

i ordered two steel posts, two flush mounts and two surface mounts. i used a hole saw and put the two flush mounts in the floor and mounted the surface mounts to the bottom of the table. the longest part as measuring so that the holes where in the right spots. it was an easy mod and no more shaky table. also no need to put the table down for travel now.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #10

here is a close up of my table legs. i am friends with the owner of the dealership and got a call a few weeks later because someone bent the folding legs on the table, so i ended up selling my legs and covered all the cost of the parts for my new legs. win win for me!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	5103  
Old 04-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #11

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Very nice Mod's.....love the pictures....they always tell the story better !
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
Newoldbie

Our boat had that same kind of table set up, only a single post, one table above deck and one in the galley, they worked well, but the bottom of the post screwed into the floor, and the table just sat on the top of the post, so if table wobbled at all, you just turned the post and tightened in the floor.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
HogHead

Nice. Our 2701 has a u shaped dinette and the table winds up sitting on the heater vent creating an even more unstable condition. Now just have to talk the girl into the mod.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
HogHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoonut
first and second pictures are my added silverware drawer, third and fourth are my nite table mods and fifth is my safety rail for the bunk.
On the night table modification, did you just pop off the lid? Seems that they are fastened from the bottom up. There sure is a lot of wasted space underneath the table. Please let me know before I take the six lbs sledge to it. Thanks , jb
Old 04-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #15

Hey fellow 2701 owners! So glad to see this post. We bought our 2701 as a 2010 leftover in January. We had our eyes on it for some time and finally pulled the trigger. We FINALLY get to pick it up in 12 days...not like we are keeping track, lol. Minnesota winters are rough. Anyhow, since we don't have it home yet we are sitting and pondering a few things, hoping I can get some opinions.

First question is regarding a bike rack, any suggestions? We currently have a bike rack but no receiver. I found a bolt-on receiver made by Curt that bolts to the rear bumper but not sure how stable it is or is not. Seems to get decent reviews on Amazon. We are hoping to not have to drop the $350-$400 it takes to install an actual receiver but if we have to we will. Safety is important too. Thoughts?

That's it for now I guess. Love seeing the pictures and hearing about other 2701's!!
ducatismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:52 AM   #16
Newoldbie

I bought the $49.00 one on Amazon, it is a Curt, seems hurky enough, have not installed, but planning on carrying four bikes on it. It has steel plates on each side and two bolts across the top.
I was going to move the spare over to one side, and install the receiver on the other.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauerson View Post
On the night table modification, did you just pop off the lid? Seems that they are fastened from the bottom up. There sure is a lot of wasted space underneath the table. Please let me know before I take the six lbs sledge to it. Thanks , jb
i had to remove the side panel that is beside the mattress. once this panel was off you can reach inside and remove the screws that hold the top down. then i finished off the interior and put in a false bottom to cover the wire for the electrical outlet. then i cut the top about 2" from the back wall and installed a piano hinge between the two pieces. install the top and install a friction support to hold the lid up. any other questions let me know.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatismom View Post
Hey fellow 2701 owners! So glad to see this post. We bought our 2701 as a 2010 leftover in January. We had our eyes on it for some time and finally pulled the trigger. We FINALLY get to pick it up in 12 days...not like we are keeping track, lol. Minnesota winters are rough. Anyhow, since we don't have it home yet we are sitting and pondering a few things, hoping I can get some opinions.

First question is regarding a bike rack, any suggestions? We currently have a bike rack but no receiver. I found a bolt-on receiver made by Curt that bolts to the rear bumper but not sure how stable it is or is not. Seems to get decent reviews on Amazon. We are hoping to not have to drop the $350-$400 it takes to install an actual receiver but if we have to we will. Safety is important too. Thoughts?

That's it for now I guess. Love seeing the pictures and hearing about other 2701's!!
don't put a hitch on your bumper. do a search on here. the bumpers are to light and it will flex and break.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauerson View Post
I too liked all the modifications, we just picked up our 2701 '11. Sitting at the free standing table I felt that it was a bit wobbly. Hate to have my drink spill. Any suggestions for a fix?
Drink faster! LOL
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoonut View Post
don't put a hitch on your bumper. do a search on here. the bumpers are to light and it will flex and break.
Thank you for your reply. Without having the camper here it is tough to decide. We will have it very soon but great to get other input as well. We were thinking about bracing the bikes to the ladder on the back but still questioned the abilities of the bumper on the back. I guess we may just have to wait and suck up forking out the cash, eventually. Thanks again!
ducatismom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2701ss