Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2020, 05:17 PM   #1
Newbie-big time

Shower miser / diverter

This is from another thread dealing with city water and FW tank; I didn't want to hijack so :

"Also, if your shower has the shower miser (diverter) be sure the valve is turned down. If it is turned up city water will fill your fresh water tank."
posted by Camp4two

Why ?? My wife and I were wondering this anyway after reading the little yellow sticker on the shower controls.
SSBN624Gold NUC Engineering
ItsThe2ofUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:29 PM   #2

If you are using water from your fresh water tank, and trying to conserve water, the shower miser is used to temporarily divert cold water back to the fresh water tank, until hot water appears at the shower faucet. That way you are not wasting water waiting for your shower to get hot. The water is just running in a loop.

If you are on an endless supply of city water, diverting that water to the fresh water tank will just fill up the tank until it overflows.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsThe2ofUs View Post
This is from another thread dealing with city water and FW tank; I didn't want to hijack so :

"Also, if your shower has the shower miser (diverter) be sure the valve is turned down. If it is turned up city water will fill your fresh water tank."
posted by Camp4two

Why ?? My wife and I were wondering this anyway after reading the little yellow sticker on the shower controls.
So this assumes you are leaving the water running in the shower? If the shower is turned off, the fresh water tank won't continue to fill, correct?

Now, if you are using city water and you are warming up your shower water, the city water diverts to the fresh water vs grey tank. This might be ok as the grey tank is smaller than the fresh water tank.

Am I understanding this right?
DadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadJones View Post
So this assumes you are leaving the water running in the shower? If the shower is turned off, the fresh water tank won't continue to fill, correct?

Now, if you are using city water and you are warming up your shower water, the city water diverts to the fresh water vs grey tank. This might be ok as the grey tank is smaller than the fresh water tank.

Am I understanding this right?
Yep, you got it.
The Shower Miser valve only comes into play when the shower is actually on. If the shower water valves are off, the Miser valve is out of the loop.
We have used the Miser valve to fill our fresh tank while at hookups. Turned on the cold water shower valve, placed the Miser valve into the divert position.
Love it, especially when boondocking. We went from using around 90 gallons a week for two of us, to around 70 without even trying. Plus, no more short bursts of cold water
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #5

An additional benefit is the reduction in wasted water means you're putting less in the gray tank, too.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #6
PhD, Common Sense

Is this a device that can be added to any shower in any camper?
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Yes! That what we did. Just Google Shower Miser.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
PhD, Common Sense

Thanks. In addition to other benefits, using it to fill the FW tank sounds easier than using the gravity fill.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Yes, but it's not cheap and routing the return line can be a challenge. I added a Sink Miser in the kitchen.

Note that, contrary to AquaView's recommendation, Rockwood taps into the fresh water line for the return, rather than returning it to the fresh water tank overflow line. Rockwood's approach can lead to air recirculating in a loop.

When installing my SinkMiser, I revised the installation to conform to AquaView's recommendation, by adding a length of hose back to the tank. Both the ShowerMiser and SinkMiser use it.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #10

Ah Ha!

So that is why when using the Showermiser in our 2205s seems like can not get all the air to purge from the line...

Thanks!
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #11
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Yes, but it's not cheap and routing the return line can be a challenge. I added a Sink Miser in the kitchen.

Note that, contrary to AquaView's recommendation, Rockwood taps into the fresh water line for the return, rather than returning it to the fresh water tank overflow line. Rockwood's approach can lead to air recirculating in a loop.

When installing my SinkMiser, I revised the installation to conform to AquaView's recommendation, by adding a length of hose back to the tank. Both the ShowerMiser and SinkMiser use it.
Thanks. I have started a thread in the r-pod section for model-specific advice. I don’t want to clutter this thread.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CatDaddy View Post
So that is why when using the Showermiser in our 2205s seems like can not get all the air to purge from the line...

Thanks!
Judging from your floor plan, yes. Your bathroom and pantry are in the same location as in our 2507S. I assume the water pump is nearby.

Take out the panel in front of the water pump. You'll see a braided hose coming from behind the shower and T'ed into the fresh water line on the low pressure side of the pump. That's the ShowerMiser return line. Any air in it is recirculated right back into the fresh water source.

To be fair to Rockwood, it is an approved alternate installation method. It saves them some hose and work. It's not ideal, though.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Judging from your floor plan, yes. Your bathroom and pantry are in the same location as in our 2507S. I assume the water pump is nearby.

Take out the panel in front of the water pump. You'll see a braided hose coming from behind the shower and T'ed into the fresh water line on the low pressure side of the pump. That's the ShowerMiser return line. Any air in it is recirculated right back into the fresh water source.

To be fair to Rockwood, it is an approved alternate installation method. It saves them some hose and work. It's not ideal, though.
To be fair to Rockwood/Flagstaff plumbing the Miser this way would allow "Winterizing with Pink" to Not be returned to the FWT,where it is a Pain to remove! Youroo!! PS, Not all Floorplans are plumbed the same for the Miser return line!

Tags
show, shower