Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 02:02 PM   #1

Slide lock faux pas...

Would bet the mortgage that I'm not first or will be the last to do this but... Had slide lock in, got home, had brain fart and went to put out the slide only to hear the crunch noise and have the fascia come crashing down. For those that care to admit you've done this, how did you get fascia back up there without nail heads/screws showing? Many TIA!
Golfmanfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #2

Missed a Large can of beans that escaped a cabinet while traveling and when putting out slides, one side of the dinette side blew completely off. Not just the trim, the 3" thick frame blew off. Hydraulics are very strong. Removed trim (put on with staples), removed screws holding frame...(only two, third missed the backing). Replace frame with 5 6.5" screws, replaced trim using brad nailer and shot trim back on, fill noticeable holes and mixed model paint to match trim color and painted nail heads.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Our slide locks had big orange warning tags hanging from them.
They don't have these anymore?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Missed a Large can of beans that escaped a cabinet while traveling and when putting out slides, one side of the dinette side blew completely off. Not just the trim, the 3" thick frame blew off. Hydraulics are very strong. Removed trim (put on with staples), removed screws holding frame...(only two, third missed the backing). Replace frame with 5 6.5" screws, replaced trim using brad nailer and shot trim back on, fill noticeable holes and mixed model paint to match trim color and painted nail heads.

Thanks very much. Now to find a brad nailer...
Old 09-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Our slide locks had big orange warning tags hanging from them.
They don't have these anymore?

I think this did at one point. As I was putting stuff in storage areas I found the bright orange tag you mentioned. Bought the rig used so didn't ever see that till today. Doh!!
Old 09-22-2020, 02:54 PM   #6

This can happen, but since it has I would reinstall it so you can easily take it off with out having to pry it off like when the factory installed it. Think of it as an improvement, and don’t beat yourself up.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #7

yepper, guilty as charged....

As mentioned, easy fix....and a label by the switch helps too.
hthavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #8
Lorenc

Similar thing happened to me, stopped at a friend’s house to show him my new camper and a laptop that was sitting on the recliner next to the slide out had fallen down in the 3” wide area on the side of the slide out so when it got about halfway out I heard a crunching noise and stopped the slide out to find it had busted the wood fascia and the laptop both. Insurance covered the fascia but not the laptop.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:47 PM   #9

Been there, did a version. Partially collapsed a chair, punched a hole in the wall, took some trim off. As stated above, hydraulics are powerful.

Put an electrical outlet blank over the hole, put trim back on, chair was mostly un-repairable. Left it in a dumpster.

Learned the first time.

Good judgement comes from experience,
Experience comes from bad judgement.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmanfl View Post
Would bet the mortgage that I'm not first or will be the last to do this but... Had slide lock in, got home, had brain fart and went to put out the slide only to hear the crunch noise and have the fascia come crashing down. For those that care to admit you've done this, how did you get fascia back up there without nail heads/screws showing? Many TIA!

I think its something you only do once, yes I did it, but stopped as soon as I heard the facia creaking I stopped and fortunately no real damage. I now have a big reminder note fixed to the slide switch panel.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #11
Lets go camping!

i dont use one
Old 09-24-2020, 11:45 AM   #12

We opened the slide on our Trail Runner 24RK when we had it and crushed a stray can of air freshener. Didn't mess up much but the camper smelt great for that trip
Old 09-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8t six View Post
i dont use one
I am thinking the same thing. I just did this last week and I was lucky to not cause any damage. I don't know if the lock has any real value since my 2104S is on that rack and pinion system.

The sticky by the switch might be of value, but knowing me, I might not look at that if in go mode.....
Old 11-11-2020, 12:18 AM   #14

I don't remember what I crushed, but on our 2504S I got away without damage to the unit. Now my slide-opening procedure is to inspect/sweep the area, open 2/3 (24 inches), then check again before opening the last 12".
Baumeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock, slide