Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
TigerPride

Slide topper issue

I'm wondering if anyone else has a problem with their slide toppers filling up with water. To me it seems as if when slide is out there isn't enough tension to hold the topper tight thus allowing it it fill with water when raining. Should I be worried or is this common? If not normal is there anyway I could fix that without bringing the unit to the dealer. All info will be helpful
cajunrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunrvr View Post
I'm wondering if anyone else has a problem with their slide toppers filling up with water. To me it seems as if when slide is out there isn't enough tension to hold the topper tight thus allowing it it fill with water when raining. Should I be worried or is this common? If not normal is there anyway I could fix that without bringing the unit to the dealer. All info will be helpful
I haven't had a problem, but I've seen a few toppers sagging and full of water. I don't think it's too common, though. Maybe it happens over time when the fabric stretches.

I have heard people talking about sliding a big piece of styrofoam between the roof of the slide and the slide topper. Sounds like it might work, but I've never seen it done.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
TigerPride

Thanks for suggestion. The dang camper is brand new. Never even slept in it yet. Lol
Old 05-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #4

I found that my awning had water build up in in over the winter. I am thinking of adding tension. I will wait to see the replies you get back.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

My slide topper had the same problem. Added 4 additional rounds on tension to both ends and it wasn't enough, so added 4 more for a total of 8 additional rounds to both ends. Now, the rain water does not sit on the awning and no adverse effects of the re-tensioning.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
TigerPride

Just kind of glanced at the awning roller this morning to see if there was some way to adjust the tension like a garage roll up door. But really didn't see anything without grabbing a ladder
Old 05-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
TigerPride

Old coot how did u make that adjustment
Old 05-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
Site Team

I've had three RVs now with toppers. All but the current one held water. Two on my current one have much more slope from mount rail to roller because of rail height. The negative side of this is that more awning us exposed while driving. I worry about flapping on the highway. Now birds build next between roller and rail while slide is closed. Seems the water pooling was not an issue. I just closed the slide after a rain to drain it. Worried about tightening tension on rollers and added stress to canvass.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Old coot how did u make that adjustment
Run the slide out about 8"-10", remove the 4 screws on the brackets holding the hex shaft and slide the hex shaft to remove it from the awning bracket all the while holding on to the awning bracket. Once the shaft is pulled back, wind the bracket to increase the tension. Repeat on the opposite end. Slide the hex shaft back into the brackets without replacing the screws, extend the slide, water test and repeat the re-tensioning if necessary. DO NOT try to re-tension if the slide is fully extended. If it is ok, re-install the set screws.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:23 PM   #10

Would be interested too. Just been out 3 times in new trailer, 2 nights of rain and twice it collected water. My slide topper is the larger one over dinette and couch slide. No problem with the small wardrobe slide topper.
Thanks,
MM
Old 05-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
TigerPride

Mark that was the same problem for me. Thanks old coot will try that as soon as able
Old 05-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #12

I had the same issue on a previous trailer. Also on the super slide. I always thought it just didn't have enough slope to allow run off. I did cut pieces of foam to put under the topper to help. It did but was just a pain putting it in and taking it out each time. My current trailer has the same topper and does a great job with run off. I have more of an issue trying to clean the underside of the darn thing.
reinbeauke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #13
TigerPride

Old coot I adjusted the slide topper and now it is tight. Apparently there was more water up there than I thought. When I seen it sagging I would take a brush with long Handel and push up slightly to drain the water. I guess all water didn't run off. What I'm seeing now is the topper is sagging in the middle. Being that all is brand new do u think it will tighten back up or am I screwed lol
Old 05-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Old coot I adjusted the slide topper and now it is tight. Apparently there was more water up there than I thought. When I seen it sagging I would take a brush with long Handel and push up slightly to drain the water. I guess all water didn't run off. What I'm seeing now is the topper is sagging in the middle. Being that all is brand new do u think it will tighten back up or am I screwed lol
Mine tightened up over time in the sun. I thought I was going to have to replace the material, but so far, so good. Just leave the slide out and let old mother nature do her magic.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:01 AM   #15
TigerPride

Thanks buddy you have been a lot of help!!!👍
Old 05-12-2019, 08:41 PM   #16

I know, this is a old thread but I have a topper that holds water . And if oldcoot is still around thanks )
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy500 View Post
I know, this is a old thread but I have a topper that holds water . And if oldcoot is still around thanks )
If it is a long slide, they tend to hold some water.

I've never worried about it as I'd rather have the water on the topper than on the slide roof. Mine pools at times and I just bring in the slide and let it run off the side when it's time to leave. We typically open the slides once home to unload (for access) and it drys pretty quickly and seems to shrink right back to normal.

If you drop the front or rear of the R/V before bringing in the slide, the water will run off or use one of the many ways to raise the topper a bit like a beach ball between the slide roof and the topper

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:52 PM   #18

I had seen a suggestion of a pool noodle or small beach ball to give the topper a support to help drain water.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:58 PM   #19
Jayhawker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlehouse View Post
I had seen a suggestion of a pool noodle or small beach ball to give the topper a support to help drain water.
Friends of ours leave their slide outs extended for 6 months a year at a seasonal site. They put an inflatable air mattress between the roof and slide out topper to keep the rain from accumulating on the toppers
Attached Images

Tags
slide