Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2021, 03:11 PM   #1

Slide Toppers

Hello,
I have a 2906WS and are looking at doing slide toppers, I have not decided on tackling this job yet or not. My big question is the living room slide has the awning on the slide so I'm not sure how thqat one would even work out.
Anyone out there with a 2906WS that could let me know if you have a topper on that livingrom slide and any tips for that.
Thank you!
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:05 PM   #2

That’s typically how they are installed. Reason is when your slide goes in any debris that are on the topper get rolled off as the topper rolls up. If it went the other way debris would be rolled into the topper.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:13 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Hello,
I have a 2906WS and are looking at doing slide toppers, I have not decided on tackling this job yet or not. My big question is the living room slide has the awning on the slide so I'm not sure how thqat one would even work out.
Anyone out there with a 2906WS that could let me know if you have a topper on that livingrom slide and any tips for that.
Thank you!
I’m not that familiar with your rig but.....

Your living room slide is where your outdoor awning is mounted too?

Most (not all) units have their outdoor awning mounted to the actual unit as opposed to the extra weight and complexity onto a slide.
If your outdoor awning is overtop of your slide, it can keep it clean on top if you deploy the awning.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:38 PM   #4

Never seen an awning over a sliding room affixed any way other than on the slide itself. Nor do I know any reason for one not so mounted.

Self rolling out/in. No "complexity" -- whatever that might be. Once installed it just works. The weight moving out decreases as the awing unrolls. As noted leaves, rain, and bird poop fall to the ground during retraction.

-- Chuck
Old 02-22-2021, 06:08 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Never seen an awning over a sliding room affixed any way other than on the slide itself. Nor do I know any reason for one not so mounted.

Self rolling out/in. No "complexity" -- whatever that might be. Once installed it just works. The weight moving out decreases as the awing unrolls. As noted leaves, rain, and bird poop fall to the ground during retraction.

-- Chuck
Chuck,

Our 2010 Georgetown had the 16’ awning attached to the body of the motorhome above the dining room slide out with its own topper. Between the topper AND the awning, the top of the slide was spotless.

By complexity, I meant it just adds weight and additional wiring to the slide out unit itself. Even when the awning is extended, that amplifies the weight hanging off the slide.

To test this theory......
Hold a pot of water close to your chest
Now hold the empty pot out at arm’s length.
I’ll bet you tired sooner holding the empty pot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87DD15C9-C977-4420-AF1F-02559F84AFDF.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	248229  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:18 PM   #6

Looks like an awning mounted to the outside of rear slide. That may interfere with the topper brackets that are typically mounted on the outside of the slide.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:50 PM   #7

Both slide toppers are attached to the slide outs in the photo. They're also attached to the camper body so they just unroll when the room is extended and retract when drawn back in. No separate motion. Nothing complex.

You're indicating this is a bad method of attachment? I don't know of any convenient alternatives.

-- Chuck
Old 02-22-2021, 07:07 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Slide toppers are another of those personal preference topics. We've had them on our last several R/Vs and wouldn't be without them. They keep the slide out roof clean and shield the sun from baking the slide roof keeping the interior much cooler.

Others complain of noise when windy but it has never bothered us.

Oh... and yes... there ARE awnings attached to the face of the slide out. Here you can see our patio awning on the slide back of the entrance door. No issues with it either.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_175622.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	248230

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:20 PM   #9

We have a 2906rs and I am thinking about slide toppers also. The problem I see is clearance for the main awning not hitting the slide topper on the slide out. I did see a picture of one and it looks like topper is barely over the slide on that end.
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide