Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2024, 08:01 PM   #1

Smoke Intrustion

Hey Guys,

I was wondering how well Rockwoods (specifically the Minilites though I would assume based on what I've read that the Ultralites would also apply here) seal when the slides are opened up. I've had some Jayco Class 'C' units that were entirely smoke free in the coach with slides deployed, and I've had a Winnebago and Forest River Class 'C' units that smelled like the campfire was in the coach along with us. Terrible sealing once the slides were deployed.

How are you guys finding your trailers? With the slides deployed, is the air clean or does it smell like the windows are open?

I was immensely disappointed in the Winnebago and Sunseeker we had.

Thanks !

Currently without travel trailer
Sbadocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 08:54 PM   #2

Nothing? Bueller? Bueller?

Old 02-20-2024, 09:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbadocko View Post
Hey Guys,

I was wondering how well Rockwoods (specifically the Minilites though I would assume based on what I've read that the Ultralites would also apply here) seal when the slides are opened up. I've had some Jayco Class 'C' units that were entirely smoke free in the coach with slides deployed, and I've had a Winnebago and Forest River Class 'C' units that smelled like the campfire was in the coach along with us. Terrible sealing once the slides were deployed.
Our trailer has gaps in the seal when the slide is deployed, we can see light shining through in multiple places. this is an issue I could probably remedy but have never had the need. The issue isn't serious enough for me to bother with.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 06:17 AM   #4

Sounds like you have what my Winnie and Sunseeker had. One of the few things my Jaycos did was seal well. Very well actually. Now to try to understand if yours is an outlier or if most are like yours.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:30 AM   #5

This is an interesting thread.

Never paid attention in almost 40 years of camping. We have owned Terrys, Pumas, and a Wildwood never noticed a smoke smell inside with campfires. But never paid attention either.

Also seeing more of the gas fire pits though.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:20 AM   #6

Since people probably park near the fire pits etc would expect some sort of smell gets in
probably from opening the door and windows too.
Smoke smell clings to clothing too.... might have to find one of those optional campgrounds

If your neighbor starts a smoky fire, go over and chat with them ..
then make suggestions on how to make a smokeless fire.
dry wood or make sure any ventilation holes in the fire pit are not covered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your slides are leaking... check the seals
can use pool noodles or other methods to supplement them if it worries you.

On my slides when fully deployed or retracted the seal is good but it has to be fully closed /opened..... not in between. Never worried about smoke though only water leaks.

you can do an old trick... get a small piece of toilet tissue and tie it to a cotton thread
hold it around different spots and watch if it moves around.
works best if you have air conditioner on, so there is a temperature difference between inside and outside air.

can also use it for checking around doors ,windows, vents and the fridge !
fridge is a possible leak spot if vented to outside.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:02 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

Never paid attention in almost 40 years of camping. We have owned Terrys, Pumas, and a Wildwood never noticed a smoke smell inside with campfires. But never paid attention either.

Interesting in that "smell" is highly opinionated and most every thread that somehow includes discussion on campfire smoke, usually goes off the rails as everyone's sniffer/tolerance is different.

I'd be less worried about smoke infiltration around seals as I would be about cold/heat/dirt/bugs/critters.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

That's us, too. Never even thought about it til it was brought up, so I guess our Rockwood seals up pretty good.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
Since people probably park near the fire pits etc would expect some sort of smell gets in
probably from opening the door and windows too.
Smoke smell clings to clothing too.... might have to find one of those optional campgrounds
Got news for ya. It clings anyway! lol ��
MGD1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:57 PM   #10

As has been mentioned, a lot of campgrounds have the fire ring set up in some fairly ridiculous spots, with regard to the neighbors RV. Depending on where the slide is on the camper can make the problem even worse.

That said, I owned two Mini Lites, and never noticed any issue with smoke getting into the RV. Only time we noticed smoke inside was if we had the bathroom vent open with the fan off. The evening air would tend to come down the vent and bring the smoke with it.

In all, we have owned 3 RVs, and none of them had campfire smoke issues unless there were windows/vents open. But smell is subjective, tolerance to campfire smoke varies, etc.

Old 02-21-2024, 02:41 PM   #11

I have no idea which units are susceptible to smoke. I guess you could as if you could do a 'smoke test' before you buy.

I sympathise with you because the smell of wood smoke sets allergies in motion.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:53 PM   #12

It really was something else. The Jayco units I had, you could walk into them no matter what was going on outside and if the windows and vents were shut it was like you weren’t in a campground at all. The others I’ve had were awful, almost like the windows were fully open after a few hours in the campground smoke.

I know Jayco takes a ton of shortcuts and I’m not impressed with thier build quality anymore, but they did know how to seal a slide out I have to give them that. We were spoiled; we thought all slide outs sealed like a Jayco.

Old 02-21-2024, 06:25 PM   #13

Seems pretty easy. If campfire smoke is an issue don't go there.

If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where they went.

Will Rogers
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 12:32 PM   #14

Reminds me of last spring we were at Cherry Hill Park outside of DC. There was a couple across from us who never seemed to leave the camper. One day I offered him a beer and invited them to join us at our campfire. He replied. “No thanks. We don’t like to be outside”. All I could think was why are you here?

I didn’t ask but I sure do wonder.
MGD1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 08:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Hey Guys,

How are you guys finding your trailers? With the slides deployed, is the air clean or does it smell like the windows are open?

Thanks !
We had a Mini Lite 2506 and now have an Ultra Lite 2608. Neither has had any problems.
RamManMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:02 PM   #16

We have a Mini Lite 2506s and have never had smoke problems with the slide out. It seals pretty well. Don't have drafts when it is cold/windy, either. so it must seal pretty well.

Happy Trails!

Jeff
jlh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:12 PM   #17

2019 2511s minilite. Only bothers me on occasion. I know that I can't have a roof vent or window open with the bath fan on. I silicone the slid rubber and always check when extended, sometimes the rubber will fold over in spots . Easy enough to pull out. Actually never noticed outside smoke as slides are concerned.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 06:31 AM   #18

Good to hear guys !

Old 03-01-2024, 09:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks !
If you are getting air intrusion through the seals you need to have the slides adjusted, they are not going all the way out.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 09:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcape View Post
If you are getting air intrusion through the seals you need to have the slides adjusted, they are not going all the way out.
They were. I was locked right up against the wall in those cases. I could see some daylight with my Winnebago. Winnie said "as designed" when I called and spoke w/ them. My faith in their supposed superior build quality went right out the window with that bit of info.