Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2021, 08:12 AM   #1

So, Here's my story...

My first outing with my R12 a couple of months ago, Found the Furnace did not work (No function test when picked up) my bad. The Wifi ranger did not work, and a piece of trim on the inside did come off.

Took it to my selling dealer (Earliest appoint.), So far they are doing a great job of getting it right. Found that the wifi ranger on/off switch was missing a wire connection (Fixed) now works. Tech say's the Thermostat on wall is defective (on order).

Trim fixed.

Here is my question, Was told since they have to go thru Forest river with everything it will be about a month. Can i put a "Non" Suburban thermostat (wall unit) instead of waiting? We are going to Grand Canyon in a couple of weeks and i dont like having things not work especially if we need some heat.

Thanks
Still running great!
Ed from Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If your furnace is like most furnaces in R/Vs (you didn't specify make/model) then there is nothing 'special' about the part of the thermostat that controls the heat. Many thermostats control both heat and cool.

Most furnaces have two blue wires that go from the furnace to the 'stat and all the 'stat does is connect those two wires together. It probably also supplies 12v to the furnace module. You could pick up an inexpensive thermostat to control the blue wires.

Heck, If I wanted to go camping and thought I'd need some heat, one could simply touch the two blue wires together (from the back of the 'stat) and run the furnace a while and then separate them... but that's just me and I'm not advocating you do anything that may make you uncomfortable by doing so.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If your furnace is like most furnaces in R/Vs (you didn't specify make/model) then there is nothing 'special' about the part of the thermostat that controls the heat. Many thermostats control both heat and cool.

Most furnaces have two blue wires that go from the furnace to the 'stat and all the 'stat does is connect those two wires together. It probably also supplies 12v to the furnace module. You could pick up an inexpensive thermostat to control the blue wires.

Heck, If I wanted to go camping and thought I'd need some heat, one could simply touch the two blue wires together (from the back of the 'stat) and run the furnace a while and then separate them... but that's just me and I'm not advocating you do anything that may make you uncomfortable by doing so.
Good point,

Its a Suburban. And it appears to be very low buck basic on/of slider type.
Still running great!
Old 05-12-2021, 08:51 AM   #4

Seeing as your T-stat is for your furnace only and doesn't control your AC you could install this digital one. Easy swap and much more accurate than the stock one.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH1...s%2C193&sr=8-7
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:52 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If it is similar to this... Amazon can have it to you in two days. $17.00

Suburban 161154 Wall Thermostat - Heat Only - White

Old 05-12-2021, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:
If it is similar to this... Amazon can have it to you in two days. $17.00

Suburban 161154 Wall Thermostat - Heat Only - White

Great! Looks Identical to that! Never though about amazon! Thanks for this, Much appreciated
Still running great!
Old 05-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from Riverside View Post
Great! Looks Identical to that! Never though about amazon! Thanks for this, Much appreciated
Sure!
And at $17 (if you are able to install yourself) it will be cheaper than towing to/from the dealer. Or buy it and let the dealer install if they are having trouble getting you one. Heck for $17 they should reimburse you!

Old 05-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #8

Quote:
You might want to do yourself a favor and update it an all digital while your at it. Goes down to 30 up to 90

Honeywell TH1100DV1000 Nonprogrammable Heat Only Thermostat, White
https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH1...40157527&psc=1
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-12 071727.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	254303
Inciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inciter View Post
You might want to do yourself a favor and update it an all digital while your at it. Goes down to 30 up to 90

Honeywell TH1100DV1000 Nonprogrammable Heat Only Thermostat, White
https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH1...40157527&psc=1
Attachment 254303
Thanks for the heads up on that! Appreciated!
Old 05-12-2021, 04:10 PM   #10

What ever you do, do not install the manual thermostat - get a digital. I got rid of the manual in my last TT when there was a 6 degree swing when using it. You can get a Hunter thermostat at Walmart that will work great for almost what the mechanical one will cost.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
What ever you do, do not install the manual thermostat - get a digital. I got rid of the manual in my last TT when there was a 6 degree swing when using it. You can get a Hunter thermostat at Walmart that will work great for almost what the mechanical one will cost.
Thank you
Old 05-12-2021, 10:57 PM   #12

First, Thank you for all the replies.

Here's an update,

I am in the automotive business (Technician) Not to big on Home electrical and TT electrical but, hey can't be to different right?

So i kept staring at the thermostat this evening and how the wiring was and did some research. Turns out, The thermostat was wired wrong! Also the tab that the on/off lever lifts up when you slide to the left to turn off completely was not even in the correct position. I re-wired the correct way and put the on/off tab where it should be and now it works with no problem! Learned something new today and i need to become a better TT technician. Great day!
Still running great!
Old 05-13-2021, 12:32 AM   #13

I lost count of how many times I was at a loss stepped away thought about it and then I said to myself man I’m stupid LOL and figured it out right away
Old 05-13-2021, 06:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRockz View Post
I lost count of how many times I was at a loss stepped away thought about it and then I said to myself man I’m stupid LOL and figured it out right away
So far that’s 2 things they goofed on when they assembled this unit. Hope I don’t have any other issues due to workmanship.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:12 AM   #15

If you keep camping, you'll keep learning how to fix things. Just part of the fun. The more you read this forum, the more you'll know.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
If you keep camping, you'll keep learning how to fix things. Just part of the fun. The more you read this forum, the more you'll know.

So true! That’s part of the reason for me being here. We have been averaging an outing once a month. Still figuring things and also how to prep it better for our outings and being better prepared for up coming Grand Canyon run. A Good Pilot is always learning!

Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:58 AM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
First, Thank you for all the replies.

Here's an update,

I am in the automotive business (Technician) Not to big on Home electrical and TT electrical but, hey can't be to different right?

So i kept staring at the thermostat this evening and how the wiring was and did some research. Turns out, The thermostat was wired wrong! Also the tab that the on/off lever lifts up when you slide to the left to turn off completely was not even in the correct position. I re-wired the correct way and put the on/off tab where it should be and now it works with no problem! Learned something new today and i need to become a better TT technician. Great day!
That's great news and don't sell yourself short... look what the dealer tech told you, that the 'stat needed replaced! They would have likely replaced it and then had to do some further diagnosing to figure it out! You already beat them to it! Make sure you let them know what you found. Hopefully it will help them become a better dealership. (but probably not)

I won't burst your bubble... but... there WILL be more things to fix. It is part of owning a R/V, a moving house on wheels built (for the most part) with the most inexpensive components known to man. Being a technician, you are already way ahead of the R/V owners curve.

Enjoy!
It's all about the journey!

ON EDIT: one final thing... if you've not previously run the furnace for any length of time other than to see if it fires up... when you first run a new furnace you'll find they stink and maybe even put off a little smoke as the manufacturing oils burn off the heat exchanger and some of the internal components. Even to the point it might set off the smoke alarm. Fire it up and let it run a half hour or so and you'll be good to go after that. Sometimes after setting for months (over winter storage) it will do that slightly the first fire up too. No cause for alarm!

Old 05-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #18

Quote:
That's great news and don't sell yourself short... look what the dealer tech told you, that the 'stat needed replaced! They would have likely replaced it and then had to do some further diagnosing to figure it out! You already beat them to it! Make sure you let them know what you found. Hopefully it will help them become a better dealership. (but probably not)

I won't burst your bubble... but... there WILL be more things to fix. It is part of owning a R/V, a moving house on wheels built (for the most part) with the most inexpensive components known to man. Being a technician, you are already way ahead of the R/V owners curve.

Enjoy!
It's all about the journey!

ON EDIT: one final thing... if you've not previously run the furnace for any length of time other than to see if it fires up... when you first run a new furnace you'll find they stink and maybe even put off a little smoke as the manufacturing oils burn off the heat exchanger and some of the internal components. Even to the point it might set off the smoke alarm. Fire it up and let it run a half hour or so and you'll be good to go after that. Sometimes after setting for months (over winter storage) it will do that slightly the first fire up too. No cause for alarm!

Thank you,

Thanks for that info also. I have not in fact run the furnace but will do so tonight. It’s been warm here so probably won’t need it on this weekend’s getaway, but maybe on our Grand Canyon trip at the end of this month. I realized when I received our TT that I was going to figure it out and be my own tech No worries,
Old 05-13-2021, 12:27 PM   #19

It looks like you are in for some FANTASTIC weather!

Cheers! (do get a digital as suggested and by others) and have a hole of a time! Hahahah hole of a time get it?

Inciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #20
ARLO

Quote:
My first outing with my R12 a couple of months ago, Found the Furnace did not work (No function test when picked up) my bad. The Wifi ranger did not work, and a piece of trim on the inside did come off.

Took it to my selling dealer (Earliest appoint.), So far they are doing a great job of getting it right. Found that the wifi ranger on/off switch was missing a wire connection (Fixed) now works. Tech say's the Thermostat on wall is defective (on order).

Trim fixed.

Here is my question, Was told since they have to go thru Forest river with everything it will be about a month. Can i put a "Non" Suburban thermostat (wall unit) instead of waiting? We are going to Grand Canyon in a couple of weeks and i dont like having things not work especially if we need some heat.

Thanks
We always carry a good ceramic heater in the trailer for emergencies or for when you only need to take the chill off.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote