Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #1

"Solar on the side" questions

I'm trying to get my solar panel set on my 2020 Rockwood 1640esp. The trailer came with a solar prep package that includes an MC4 connection on the roof (which I cant seem to get to work) and an SAE connection on the front of the chassis (which I haven investigated yet). From what I can see. These is a singe pair of wires labeled SOLAR running to the battery. Any one have any idea what connections run where??
Nickoli594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #2

The SAE connector runs straight to the battery as you suspected...it is designed to be used by a portable solar kit that includes a built in controller.

The MC4 connection on the roof assumes you will be using panels on the roof, and then a separate controller installed inside the RV. The MC4 connector runs somewhere in the RV (Mine was beside the Fridge under a sticker) and then a separate set of wires runs from that same area to the battery. (Mine were not already connected to the battery...but, bundled together near the battery)

I did not like where they ran the wiring, so I ended up using my own...but, it would have been nice to use theirs...

Good luck!!

—————————————————
2020.5 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel
drburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburns View Post
The SAE connector runs straight to the battery as you suspected...it is designed to be used by a portable solar kit that includes a built in controller.

The MC4 connection on the roof assumes you will be using panels on the roof, and then a separate controller installed inside the RV. The MC4 connector runs somewhere in the RV (Mine was beside the Fridge under a sticker) and then a separate set of wires runs from that same area to the battery. (Mine were not already connected to the battery...but, bundled together near the battery)

I did not like where they ran the wiring, so I ended up using my own...but, it would have been nice to use theirs...

Good luck!!
Thank you! You just ended a week long headache
Nickoli594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburns View Post
... I did not like where they ran the wiring, so I ended up using my own...but, it would have been nice to use theirs...
Unless the distance from controller to battery is very short, you'd probably be dissatisfied with it, anyway. Go Power specified to Rockwood that the controller-to-battery conductors should be 8 gauge. For a short distance that may suffice but for many trailers there will be loss due to length.

The prewire also assumes the controller is in a very visible interior location. The only available flush-mount controllers are PWM, limited to 30A. If you want something better, it would be unattractive in the location where the roof wire and battery wire converge.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar