Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #1

Solar panels

Anyone have experience using Zamp solar panels? I have a 2016 19ft Minilite and do a lot of boondocking and need to keep batteries charged. What size is best for a 19footer? Any other systems brands out there maybe less expensive? Do these systems really keep the batteries charged so can run the water pump, some lights and play the radio? Thanks
Old 08-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #2

Solar works if installed properly and sized properly. With that said, how much you need depends on your energy usage and battery capacity.

I do a lot of boondocking and use between 75 and 100 amp-hours per day of battery power. I have 696 amp hours of battery capacity in 3 golf cart banks, 600 watts of solar panels and NEVER worry about power. I have enough reserve power to last me several days if the sun doesn't shine.

With regards to ZAMP, I'm not a fan of pre-wired systems. They often don't have thick enough wire to minimize voltage losses in the wiring.

Lots of online references to do it yourself right.

If I were you, I'd try to squeeze 300-400 watts of panels on your roof and use at least one pair of golf cart batteries (two would be better). Since you made no mention of airconditioning need, a small 2 stroke cheap 89 dollar harbor freight generator would be a good backup if the sun don't shine.

Read this: https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com His info regarding wire thickness, minimizing wire run distances, is spot on. I do not agree with him regarding the use of PWM solar controllers and I'm ok with Sam's Club golf cart batteries for the part time boondocker.

I use Renogy panels and controllers for myself and customers who hire me to install solar on their rv's.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #3

Agree that it depends on how much you use your trailer and how you use it. If you want to use AC appliances--hair dryer, TV, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, etc., you will need a lot more panel wattage, battery storage, and inverter size than using only 12v DC appliances--led lights, refrigerator and water heater on propane, Melita drip coffee maker, old fashioned hair curlers, etc.

You won't be able to use your air conditioner on solar at all with the size of your trailer. And you will need at least a 3KW generator to power a 13,500 BTU AC unit.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:33 PM   #4

I'm planning to get the Zamp panels next year. I agree the wiring is a bit hokey etc, but I'm lazy and it is prepackaged and it seems that they stand behind the product. As far as sizing re: Zamp, I read the FR trailers are wired for up to 200 amp folding suitcase style Zamp. So I'll get that, I figure there is no danger using the largest size it's built for, because if the batteries top off the smart charger built into the Zamp will just back off and keep them trickle charged.

One thought though - I also have a Yamaha EF1000is. I was trying to decide between that and the Zamp panels. I decided to do the tiny generator first (it's great and fits into one of my side panels). That way I'm sure I won't have issues keeping the batteries charged, and I'll get the Zamp panels next year. Personal decision I guess, but I feel the generators are a bit more safety than the solar panels. And I have a 5KW system on the roof of my house, so I'm familiar with panels.
captaindomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
Grammar Pedant

Just remember to convert from theoretical to practical when thinking about solar panels. For example, here is a typical solar panel that you can buy. Pay very close attention to the three ratings: power, nominal voltage, and nominal amperage. Sometimes "nominal" is replaced with "optimal."

You can't just use the power rating alone. And, we also have to remember Ohm's law which extends to P = V*I. Voltage * current = power.

The current rating for that panel is 8.38 A, the voltage is 17.9, and the power is 150 W. The math checks out: 8.38 * 17.9 = 150.002.

But, you don't have a 17.9V battery. You have a 12V battery. 12V * 8.38A = 100 W. That 150W panel is only going to generate ~100W in your system.

Just be aware of that when you start sizing the panel system you need.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #6

Now that is some good information. Thanks for sharing.

If your best was good enough today........
It won't be tomorrow.
Feldhege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Just remember to convert from theoretical to practical when thinking about solar panels. For example, here is a typical solar panel that you can buy. Pay very close attention to the three ratings: power, nominal voltage, and nominal amperage. Sometimes "nominal" is replaced with "optimal."

You can't just use the power rating alone. And, we also have to remember Ohm's law which extends to P = V*I. Voltage * current = power.

The current rating for that panel is 8.38 A, the voltage is 17.9, and the power is 150 W. The math checks out: 8.38 * 17.9 = 150.002.

But, you don't have a 17.9V battery. You have a 12V battery. 12V * 8.38A = 100 W. That 150W panel is only going to generate ~100W in your system.

Just be aware of that when you start sizing the panel system you need.

Good luck.
These are excellent points, and honestly why I decided to just get the pre-built Zamp, with the solar controller to manage panel voltage levels, monitor the battery charge state with a three way charger, and give you a bunch of info on what is going on, etc. I'm just too lazy lol. Zamp makes it easy.
captaindomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:06 PM   #8

I'm of the opinion, if you are going to do something, do it right, or don't do it at all. Zamp to solar is like a Huffy bike is to Lance Armstrong (before he got busted for doping).

Zamp is great for pretending you have solar but if you do mainly campground camping with hookups, then go ahead and go for it.

Then again, most folks take their campers/rv's to a dealership to lube bearings because they are lazy or worse, buy their RV's from camping world and end up overpaying.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I'm of the opinion, if you are going to do something, do it right, or don't do it at all. Zamp to solar is like a Huffy bike is to Lance Armstrong (before he got busted for doping).
Don't know what your beef with Zamp is, but Armstrong also had a book "It's not about the bike" ...

Actually Zamp is 15 minutes from me and I've been to one of their warehouse sales. Certainly not a two-bit operation and their stuff works.

Can you expand on your dislike ?
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGerman View Post
Don't know what your beef with Zamp is, but Armstrong also had a book "It's not about the bike" ...

Actually Zamp is 15 minutes from me and I've been to one of their warehouse sales. Certainly not a two-bit operation and their stuff works.

Can you expand on your dislike ?
Post 2?

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
And that is why I will be using an MPPT controller so you actually do get close to that 150W.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel