Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #1

Solar pre-wire shorting

On my 2018 geopro 16BH. The last two nights camping this happened. After I plugged into shore power at the site, I was getting a pop and sparks shooting from somewhere underneath the camper frame from behind the passenger side wheel. Sometimes it was several pops/sparks. It would not occur again once I unplugged from shore power.

I crawled under the camper while this was occurring to find that the sparks were coming from an area where a pair of thick black and red wires emerge from the camper floor. There is gray spray foam around the wires and I saw sparks coming out of the foam.

Long story short, here is my short term solution. I recognized that the red and black cables were DC and followed them from end to end. They run from the batteries on the tongue, up through the floor, under the tub, and up the wall to where the solar plug is on The roof. My assumption is that somewhere under the gray foam there is insulation cut or rubbed off the DC wire and it is getting additional current to the battery while it is charging - enough to cause an arc.

Back to the solution. I don’t have solar panels and don’t plan on getting them soon. My remedy was to disconnect those wires from the battery and zip tie them back out of the way.

This could have started a fire in my camper easily. I think people should be warned that the solar prep includes hot DC wires running through your camper. If you don’t plan on getting solar, I suggest disconnecting them just to be safe.
onVacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #2

Today I found that my propane side of the water heater is not getting power. Neither is the furnace. There is a 15a DC circuit in the panel that seems to Not have power. The fuse is good, but when I pull it the led indicator doesn’t light up. I will have to spend more time investigating this once we reach our destination. We don’t need furnace or propane water heat right now. The obvious question is to check whether the DC wires I disconnected were also powering the furnace and water heater 12v. Any suggestions or advice?
onVacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:52 PM   #3

The led will only illuminate if the fuse is blown/missing and the circuit is trying to pull a load. If there is no load on the circuit the led will not illuminate.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar