Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2021, 07:16 PM   #21

Solar

Ya, I don't plan to go off grid often, but I want enough juice for a long weekend "just in case." When I retire (hopefully in two years) I will likely step it up for some more serious off grid.
jsk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptownvibe View Post
Folks ..
... can I also plug in my existing portable 100W in the remote solar plug on the side, and use both to total up to (in perfect conditions) 290W of solar?
The quick answer is: Yes, you can have multiple charge controllers connected to your battery bank. For this discussion, think of your solar charge controller as having two section: 1. A section that regulates the voltage from the solar panel(s) to a voltage suitable for a battery charger. 2. A smart battery charger section that monitors and, when necessary, charges the battery. From the battery's perspective, a solar controller is just a battery charger.
Now, follow me as I confuse the "yes" answer a little, and yet keep it simple. In the 'simple' world there are basically two types of battery chargers: 1. dumb (brute force chargers), and 2. smart chargers. Here are few items to consider in this world:
  • You may have multiple smart chargers connected to a battery because they 'play well together.'
  • It is not wise (bad) to have multiple 'brutes' on the same circuit as they do not 'play well together'.
  • You may have a 'brute" and multiple smart chargers on the same circuit, because the 'smart' chargers basically shut down waiting for the 'brute' to leave.
  • The 'brute' usually needs to be physically watched so that it doesn't damage your battery.
  • 'Smart' chargers constantly monitor the battery for you.
So, because you are asking about solar charge controllers, your real question might be: Can I have multiple smart chargers on the same battery circuit. Again, the answer is "yes." But remember, they are 'smart' chargers that 'play well together,' meaning that the one which enters a charging cycle first – wins, causing the other 'smart' chargers to enter a monitor/test mode. However, the one charging is not a brute, so it frequently cycles to the monitor/test mode. During that cycle, another charger might enter charge mode (or a different necessary mode, i.e. balance, trickle, desulfation, ect. ...). At least one company, Victron Energy, offers MPPT controllers that can synchronize so that multiple charge controllers work together to compliment the power available during the charge cycle.
Now, to address your specific issue: Your roof mounted units have there own controller(/charger) already connected to the batteries. Your portable unit should also have their own controller and a wire which plugs into the side of your mobile palace. That socket on the side of your mobile palace connects directly to your battery in parallel with the other solar charge controller. The two systems should work fine together, but only one of them will be charging at any single moment (unless you are using a synchronized system – which I doubt). The advantage of your set-up is that your roof-top system is always there providing power when the sun shines upon them. You portable unit might provide charging when you park the mobile palace in the shade. But without synchronization, the two units will not work together to increase charge current – only one solar charge controller will charge at any one moment – not together.
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptownvibe View Post
Well .. seems if you buy Zamp solar panels, they are wired to fit the 2511s external solar input correctly (no need to check on whether positive and negative wires are correct). They have a built in, waterproof controller. Not cheap though. On Amazon a 180W panel is $751.00

When I get serious about any boondocking, I'll probably look at that option. I hope to get the new trailer in late April/May (fingers crossed on delivery)

A question though .. these portal panels can be tilted. I wonder if there is a way to rig something to hold them place when temporarily placed on the RV roof? So sudden wind doesn't grab them. Zamp

Thanks for all the input on this.
Remember that you can cut the plug off any Solar charge wire and put on the appropriate plug to fit the connection on your TT. No need to purchase Zamp panels just to match a plug in on your TT.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:09 PM   #24
Trailer Park Supervisor

The plug on the side of the trailer is called an SAE plug. You just need to make sure the SAE plug you put on your solar panel matches the polarity of the wall plug.

Quote:
My new 2104s came equip with a roof solar panel and a 190w Inverter
No it didn't. It probably came with 190W panel(s), (you are lucky, mine is only 100), and it probably came with a 1000W inverter like mine did.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenterline View Post
Wow, that's a lot to think about. I am brand new to campers so I haven't even considered additional/swapping batteries. I am really just trying to figure out which options I want/need. I would assume that most of my camping is going to be with electric hookup but also want the option of camping off grid as well. I like the idea of the solar. If I upgrade to the 12v fridge, ($471), that price includes a 190 watt panel and inverter.
Being new to camping and expecting to have shore power most of the time, go slow on solar-related upgrades. You'll have LOTS of other things to spend your money on, and lots to learn about camping. When you've been out a few times and the initial hemorrhage of money is over, then consider what will work best for your camping needs.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
Remember that you can cut the plug off any Solar charge wire and put on the appropriate plug to fit the connection on your TT. No need to purchase Zamp panels just to match a plug in on your TT.
There's no need to cut anything. Cheap adapters are readily available.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:34 PM   #27
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Being new to camping and expecting to have shore power most of the time, go slow on solar-related upgrades. You'll have LOTS of other things to spend your money on, and lots to learn about camping. When you've been out a few times and the initial hemorrhage of money is over, then consider what will work best for your camping needs.

My initial hemorrhage was SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS in first year. For a 17.5 thousand dollar camper. Maybe I shouldn't have gone back and added everything up. Damn glad I never told wife. Very good advice Chris.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
The quick answer is: Yes, you can have multiple charge controllers connected to your battery bank. For this discussion, think of your solar charge controller as having two section: 1. A section that regulates the voltage from the solar panel(s) to a voltage suitable for a battery charger. 2. A smart battery charger section that monitors and, when necessary, charges the battery. From the battery's perspective, a solar controller is just a battery charger.
Now, follow me as I confuse the "yes" answer a little, and yet keep it simple. In the 'simple' world there are basically two types of battery chargers: 1. dumb (brute force chargers), and 2. smart chargers. Here are few items to consider in this world:
  • You may have multiple smart chargers connected to a battery because they 'play well together.'
  • It is not wise (bad) to have multiple 'brutes' on the same circuit as they do not 'play well together'.
  • You may have a 'brute" and multiple smart chargers on the same circuit, because the 'smart' chargers basically shut down waiting for the 'brute' to leave.
  • The 'brute' usually needs to be physically watched so that it doesn't damage your battery.
  • 'Smart' chargers constantly monitor the battery for you.
So, because you are asking about solar charge controllers, your real question might be: Can I have multiple smart chargers on the same battery circuit. Again, the answer is "yes." But remember, they are 'smart' chargers that 'play well together,' meaning that the one which enters a charging cycle first – wins, causing the other 'smart' chargers to enter a monitor/test mode. However, the one charging is not a brute, so it frequently cycles to the monitor/test mode. During that cycle, another charger might enter charge mode (or a different necessary mode, i.e. balance, trickle, desulfation, ect. ...). At least one company, Victron Energy, offers MPPT controllers that can synchronize so that multiple charge controllers work together to compliment the power available during the charge cycle.
Now, to address your specific issue: Your roof mounted units have there own controller(/charger) already connected to the batteries. Your portable unit should also have their own controller and a wire which plugs into the side of your mobile palace. That socket on the side of your mobile palace connects directly to your battery in parallel with the other solar charge controller. The two systems should work fine together, but only one of them will be charging at any single moment (unless you are using a synchronized system – which I doubt). The advantage of your set-up is that your roof-top system is always there providing power when the sun shines upon them. You portable unit might provide charging when you park the mobile palace in the shade. But without synchronization, the two units will not work together to increase charge current – only one solar charge controller will charge at any one moment – not together.

Thanks much!
jsk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:51 PM   #29

... an update ... I'm always learning. It seems that many more solar controllers synchronize when serving parallel charging than I first realized. Thank you all for leading me to look at this topic again.
Here is a link regarding TriStar MPPT controllers in parallel (include for general information):
https://www.solarpowerworldonline.co...-requirements/
A brief review of other systems seem to be similar. Smart chargers may connect in parallel without harming the system, but some charge controllers may not compliment charge power. Adding the amperage from various charge controllers during charge cycles requires the controllers to synchronize.
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:52 AM   #30

Just get this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382914538777

With one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/40276723926...Cclp%3A2334524

and a few of these: (just buy them direct, it's cheaper and there are discounts)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/26408805654...cAAOSwXc9cE90W

add some solar panels, like HQST 100W. Get some 2 inch angle iron, bolt em to the solar panels, and eternabond them to the roof from the angle iron.

get some cabling, a few breakers, and shunts.... and go at it. The bigger the array, the faster it can recharge. The larger the battery bank, the longer you can run. Click on the AC and you'll gobble up your batteries fast. Each 100 amp is about 1200Watts. Now the compressor isn't running all the time, but you get the idea. Amps X Volts = Watts
If your AC is eating 15amps of 120VAC then you need 1800 watts to run it. So, you get about 40 minutes from the 100ah battery.... but like we said, the compressor isn't running all the time, so plan a little more like an hour.

If you don't mind a litte DIY, get these batteries, along with a BMS and get over double the amp hours for 2/3 the price:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...archweb201603_
767driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #31

Does inverter need to be powered on when connected to shore power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenterline View Post
I am thinking about ordering a 2509s with the 12v fridge and solar option. Does this fridge not operate while plugged in to 110v? Does it ONLY work off of solar and battery vs. an AC to DC converter? Any opinions would be helpful!
We have a 2021 Rockwood 2881s 5er with the 12v refrigerator, and the roof mount solar package. Do we need to power on the inverter if connected to shore power to run the refrigerator? What exactly does the inverter do if powered on? Is it only used when running off battery power to power on the outlets marked inverter powered?

New to rving, just got rv a couple months ago, so please excuse ignorance!

Thanks,
JacquiL
JacquiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquiL View Post
We have a 2021 Rockwood 2881s 5er with the 12v refrigerator, and the roof mount solar package. Do we need to power on the inverter if connected to shore power to run the refrigerator? What exactly does the inverter do if powered on? Is it only used when running off battery power to power on the outlets marked inverter powered?

New to rving, just got rv a couple months ago, so please excuse ignorance!

Thanks,
JacquiL
You do not need to have your inverter on when on shore power. Shore power will run all your items (AC, Refrigerator plugs ect..)

Yes, The inverter is used to power those items that you plug into a wall like TV, Computers, Microwaves items that run on A/C Power. when you are OFF shore power (or generator power) it used the 12V batteries and converts it to AC

There is more to it but in short
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk125 View Post
Well .. seems if you buy Zamp solar panels, they are wired to fit the 2511s external solar input correctly (no need to check on whether positive and negative wires are correct). They have a built in, waterproof controller. Not cheap though. On Amazon a 180W panel is $751.00

When I get serious about any boondocking, I'll probably look at that option. I hope to get the new trailer in late April/May (fingers crossed on delivery)

A question though .. these portal panels can be tilted. I wonder if there is a way to rig something to hold them place when temporarily placed on the RV roof? So sudden wind doesn't grab them.

Thanks for all the input on this.
Why would you place portable RV panels on the roof? The sun is 94 million miles away. An extra 12 feet won't make any difference. Besides being incredibly inconvenient to climb up to the roof to hook up solar every time, having panels that could blow off a roof is incredibly dangerous. Do yourself a favor and keep them on the ground if you're not permanently mounting them there.

Tags
solar

« 2906BS | Water leak »