Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2023, 10:24 AM   #1

Special order a new mini lite or not???

Thinking of placing an order for a new mini lite (2511S). Since we can't really find one w/options that we want. My wife wants the dinette, and most seem to come with the lounges. Can we expect a good product if we order one? We have a Salem Hemisphere now, bought off the lot, and feel like we got lucky and got a good one. No real problems or issues, like some of the horror stories I've read about.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:21 AM   #2

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about the quality. It'll be no different than picking one off the lot.

I think overall Forest River's quality is pretty good. My GeoPro was perfect and it never needed any warranty work. My MicroLite had a few teething issues, but all were minor and easily addressed under warranty in one short trip to the dealer.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:37 AM   #3

What JDR76 said. The quality is the quality. It wont be better or worse just because you ordered it. It will just fall in line and get assembled like the rest. We owned 2 Mini Lites previously and we never had issues with the quality. Some little things here and there, but nothing I'd worry about. Others may have had a different experience?

One thing I would add, before ordering a Mini Lite, check out the Micro Lite line. They offer essentially the same trailers (floorplans are identical, just the colors and patterns are different). Find the Micro Lite floorplan that matches your preferred Mini Lite (2511S) and see if you can find one of those on a dealers lot. If you cant find one, then you can put in an order. Unless you really prefer the Mini Lite (my wife and I preferred the color patterns on the Mini Lite), then just go ahead and order what you want.

Old 02-08-2023, 12:39 PM   #4

Good point to mention checking out both MiniLites and MicroLites. That's what we did. We were going for a MiniLite but ended up finding the same MicroLite floorpan but optioned the way we wanted.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:47 PM   #5

Before you order one, go to as many dealerships as you can and look at as many different rigs as you can. Different manufacturers, all shapes, sizes, options, and configurations. By doing that you will get to know what your wants and needs really are and may start to get a feeling on what is "good quality vs bad quality"... I know you mentioned the mini lite (2511S) but why limit yourself to just that particular rig. You may find something else that checks off all the boxes…

I was looking at the floor plan for the Mini Lite (2511S). It looks like it will be very difficult if not impossible to move around and “use” it with the slide closed. (Get to the bedroom, open the refrigerator etc.) This may not be an issue for you if you do not plan to overnight at a Walmart or a similar business. Sometimes if you can get the right location in the Walmart parking lot, you could put the slide out over a grassy curb area. Some will say it is not good etiquette to put your slide out when you overnight at Walmart. For us we wanted to be able to use the rig with the slide in.

In addition, something else for you to consider is that the refrigerator is in the slide & could (notice I said could) have an impact on the slide because of its weight. Others feel free to comment on this, as I am not an expert on slides and the weight they can withstand.

I cannot comment if you can expect a good product if you order one. As previously mentioned, the quality is the quality. We have all heard the horror stories. I think if you take your time, do your research, and find what you truly want and need you will be ahead of the game. Be sure you do a very thorough PDI with the dealership before you sign on the bottom line. Get in writing with the dealership any issues to be repaired/fixed or replaced.

Just my humble opinions…

Hope this helps.
Wild Bill
llibdliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 09:16 AM   #6

There is always an option to buy a small 28-30 inch fold up table for eating. Yes it would be something you would either have to walk around or take down when not using it. The long narrow table that comes with the recliners is not the greatest. I went with the fold up table but being single I keep two legs up and have it over the forward recliner. Had it out originally and it was ok. Either way I still have to store it when traveling.

If you are television viewers placement of it with a dinette is not the best. Not much of a tv user but I like to kick back and put a movie on.

Do you eat outside a lot? Another reason to may not needing a dinette?
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:14 AM   #7

"Special" order is nothing special. The trailer the dealer orders "for you" will be of the same quality as the trailer he orders "for stock."

Ordering the camper will give you the opportunity to get one with the LP/AC refrigerator and not the battery killer inverter or 12v only unit.

-- Chuck
Old 02-10-2023, 10:43 AM   #8

We ordered and bought a 2021 2205S in February of 2021and it’s great. One thing I would do is make sure the price is locked in. We were supposed to take delivery in May but with the supply chain issues pushed it to August. Rockwood said they were stopping the build of 2021’s after May even though the 2021 orders weren’t filled. We had to pay more for the 2022 because of the newer sticker style on the outside of the rig. The only thing the dealer would do is split the cost with us even though I put $25,000 down apon ordering. Instead of lawyering up I paid the ransom.
Camp1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, mini lite