Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

stocking my Windjamer

Lots and Lots of questions. I am a senior citizen new to camping,(sounds like trouble ) purchased my new Windjammer in mid December and I am in the process of getting it set up for the camping season. My TT needs 30 amp service, the dealer supplied me with a adapter so the power could plug into a regular 110 outlet, while checking out various campgrounds lots of them have both 30 and 50 amp service. Some of the posts, if I understand them correctly, state they will use the 50 amp plug if the 30 amp is inoperable I am assuming that the TT will only draw what it needs . Do I need to purchase another adapter that converts 30 amp plug to 50. Also I guess a surge suppressor is also a good idea. I am trying to cover as many basis as possible so when we have the spring thaw I will have most areas covered. This site has been a world help so far, its like having service techs at your finger tips. Thanks in advance Chuck in va
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #2

The adapter the dealer gave you is a 30A to 15A. You are very limited to what you can run on your RV with this adapter(no AC, probably no microwave) They do make a 50A to 30A adapter which is very nice to have if the 30A outlet is faulty, which brings you to a surge protector. I have one that is not mounted permanently in the camper. There are some threads on here that are very informative about surge protection, just do a search.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #3

My surge protector is set up to plug straight into the 30A outlet on the campsite power pole. I have the 30-50 adapter in case the 30 plug is loose or worn a bit and won't hold the surge protector securely. I use the 15-30 adapter at home where we can keep the fridge running between trips, run a few inside lights when needed, etc. No A/C or microwave use. You can run your slides out this way but always just do one at a time.

Enjoy the Windjammer! We are counting down the days to kick off our 4th season in ours!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #4

Now another question concerning kitchen ware. How do you store you dishes/ glasses etc. so they will not shatter during transport. Pots and pans forks and knifes are simple. I don't think it would be a good idea to leave them in the cabinet. ( there should be a camping 101 book ) Once again thanks in advance for any responses. Chuck in Va
Old 01-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Now another question concerning kitchen ware. How do you store you dishes/ glasses etc. so they will not shatter during transport. Pots and pans forks and knifes are simple. I don't think it would be a good idea to leave them in the cabinet. ( there should be a camping 101 book ) Once again thanks in advance for any responses. Chuck in Va
Plastic ware, I am out to have fun not do dishes everyday.
Pots and pans are under the sink so no problem, spoons and such are in a drawer.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Chuck,

We bought several baskets maybe 6" X 8" X 4" tall that fit in our cabinets to hold glasses, cups, etc. Lined the cabinets with non-skid liner and put the baskets on it. Nothing moves, and we've probably put 20,000 miles on two trailers with nothing broken. Baskets like this are available at Pier 1, Target, and at most "kitchen gadget" - type stores.

What model Windjammer did you get? Ours has the kitchen in the V and that provides a very smooth ride for dishes, glassware, etc.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #7

Plates, bowls, cups are all plastic. Travel mugs for coffee. Silverware is what you use in the house and in a drawer. Lots of organizer type trays at Wal-Mart. All of our pots and pans are in bottom cabinets to the left of the sink. You will probably make the same mistake we did--take too much stuff and find out you really don't need it. We do all our cooking outside unless the weather just doesn't allow it and even then I try to set up a small table under the awning and still cook outside.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 01-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #8

We use "Corelle" dishes that are break and chip resistant.

And, heavy clear plastic wine glasses.

Carry a small portable 1500 W space heater to use RV Park power for heat at night instead of your propane. You need at least 25 ft of TV cable to connect your unit to the park connection. Get a 10 pack of the yellow plastic 12" x 12" x 1" level blocks. We have a chain and padlock to secure the $250 surge protector to the power supply unit.
We carry 3 or 4 one gallon plastic bottles of drinking water; also have an empty 6 gal water jug in case we need to fill the water tank from a remote supply - we don't drink or cook with water from the RV tank or the city water connection.

Chuck
Old 01-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
( there should be a camping 101 book
There are actually. You can google the term Rving 101, or rving for dummies...and find all kind of books and online videos covering it all.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
NELA

We use Corelle dishes and store them in the drawer under the fridge. They're heavy, so low to the floor is best. We use small squares of the non skid shelf liner between the plates and saucers as well.
For drinking glasses we use the plastic double walled/insulated type, and usually have 3 or 4 up in the freezer.

We use the upper cabinets in the kitchen for lightweight stuff, such as paper plates, paper towels, ziplock bags, tinfoil, garbage bags, etc.

We do stock canned goods, and those go in the lower pantry shelf, on a non skid shelf liner.

Silverware; in a silverware tray in the top kitchen drawer. Larger kitchen utensils in the second drawer. Never had a problem with that set up.

Pots and pans; under the island sink. Lots of room in there.

I used to pack away all my "pretties" that I set on LR shelves, etc. until I discovered "museum putty" via this forum. LOVE that stuff! It holds niknacks in place very well.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #11

Capt Mike, we purchased the 3065w. I wanted the windjammer with the front kitchen looked great, but I sit on the deal to long and someone else purchased the unit. This one is a good fit with the front v as the bedroom on a slide. Looking forward to using it. I see you are towing with a Chev 2500,any problems ? My tow vehicle is a f250 gas, so far it tows it fine but only short distances. Really looking to warm weather so I can try that rig out, looking forward to some serious down time. Thanks for all the responses I am sort of leaning toward plastic ware with only a few dishes. Chuck in Va
Old 01-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #12

If it works for you, its fine. Some folks use a F150 for a 35 ft TT and are happy.

We like our 3500 6.7L Diesel towing our 25 ft TT - but that's our choice.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #13

I have the F150 with Ecoboost and it hauls our TT around just fine. Been from sea level to over 10,000 ft. without issue.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 01-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Capt Mike, we purchased the 3065w. I wanted the windjammer with the front kitchen looked great, but I sit on the deal to long and someone else purchased the unit. This one is a good fit with the front v as the bedroom on a slide. Looking forward to using it. I see you are towing with a Chev 2500,any problems ? My tow vehicle is a f250 gas, so far it tows it fine but only short distances. Really looking to warm weather so I can try that rig out, looking forward to some serious down time. Thanks for all the responses I am sort of leaning toward plastic ware with only a few dishes. Chuck in Va
We towed our last trailer with a Silverado 1500, almost new, and used it for our first trip with the Windjammer. One trip through the Smokies convinced us that the 1/2 ton truck wasn't enough "horse" for the Windjammer. The 2500 with a 6.0L gas engine and heavy-duty tow package does just fine with this trailer. I didn't particularly want a diesel, and this gasser fit the bill perfectly. We made an extended trip to Texas with this truck and trailer and loved it. Not the best mileage in the world - maybe 8.5 to 9 towing around 60 mph, but it handles really, really well.

I think your Ford F250 gasser will be a good match for your new Windjammer. Congratulations. C'MON, SPRING!
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinca View Post
We use "Corelle" dishes that are break and chip resistant.

And, heavy clear plastic wine glasses.

Carry a small portable 1500 W space heater to use RV Park power for heat at night instead of your propane. You need at least 25 ft of TV cable to connect your unit to the park connection. Get a 10 pack of the yellow plastic 12" x 12" x 1" level blocks. We have a chain and padlock to secure the $250 surge protector to the power supply unit.
We carry 3 or 4 one gallon plastic bottles of drinking water; also have an empty 6 gal water jug in case we need to fill the water tank from a remote supply - we don't drink or cook with water from the RV tank or the city water connection.

Chuck
Is theft of the surge protector a big problems at camp grounds ? Chuck in Va
Old 01-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #16

Chuck, we have never had an issue with theft at a campground but I'm sure some of it goes on. When you think about it, while camping, there is a lot of stuff around your site that isn't locked down and even then, the locks on most trailers aren't really that secure. If someone wants something bad enough--they'll take it or do a lot of damage trying. I just try to be aware of my surroundings and put some faith in mankind.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 01-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #17

Old Car, I try to stay aware of my surroundings. My retired profession of 30 plus years taught me a lot. I try to stay out of that environment to minimize any problems, but anything can happen at a busy campground . I can imagine there is a lot of movement and you really don't know who belongs and who doesn't. I have seen some pics in the photo section where the power hook ups have padlocks on them. Is this normal, does the campground do his to keep someone from stealing power. If not, how would one chain a surge protector to the pole.? Chuck "still in Va "
Old 01-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #18

To be honest, I have never paid attention to the fact if a power box can be locked. Wouldn't surprise me that the feature to be able to do that is built right into the box from the manufactures because of the wide variety of areas they could be used. I'll have to check it out on our next trip. Unfortunately that won't be until April.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 01-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Old Car, I try to stay aware of my surroundings. My retired profession of 30 plus years taught me a lot. I try to stay out of that environment to minimize any problems, but anything can happen at a busy campground . I can imagine there is a lot of movement and you really don't know who belongs and who doesn't. I have seen some pics in the photo section where the power hook ups have padlocks on them. Is this normal, does the campground do his to keep someone from stealing power. If not, how would one chain a surge protector to the pole.? Chuck "still in Va "

They sell a heavy plastic lockable device (about $20) that is used at the connection of the surge protector to your power line to the TT. You can either connect a chain to the lock at the plastic device or use a second padlock and run the chain thru the plastic device and around the power tower. With just the plastic device someone could take the surge protector, your power cable and the plastic thingy - that's why I use a chain and lock to the power tower to secure the entire assembly.

Surge Guard Universal Lock Hasp - TRC 34590-001 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

I have never heard of a surge protector being misappropriated but it appears that Campingworld sells a bunch of the lock devices.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #20

I have been checking out surge suppressors on the net, and they range in price on ebay from $88 to around $200. Is more expensive better ? they all seem to have the same features . The reviews are of little or no help, I am sure the RV store will push the more expensive one (imagine that ). I want to protect my tt's power supply, now I am concerned of someone ripping me off at the campground. Boy there is a lot to learn, but I am catching on.. Chuck "still in Va "