Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #1

Stupid TV question

Bought a 2304ks in January, out to Jekkyl Island in April--had issues trying to get cable channels to Furrion 24". It would scan and rescan--second day it suddenly allowed you to choose a channel and we forgot about it. In Beaufort SC now at campground with Comcast, go thru setup, scan, asks for channel scan--and won't get past that. I"ve tried all the tips I found here, turning on and off the boost (that really is for antenna though isn't it?)--we even ran the cable directly from box to TV-no help.

It shows 130 some RF channels, no total of channels found, no digital or analog of course (I can't remember if there was a total of channels at Jekkyl or not) but I cannot go beyond this. I followed the steps in the manual--and it appears like our TVs at home (though they are on digital boxes so no RF channels).

I am a pretty techy person--not TV though obviously LOL, but normally I can work through tech issues. This has me totally buffaloed and so we have been TV minus all week--so have eaten through streaming data on phone and Ipad to speakers for music and streaming stations, NPR, etc (via TuneIn app mostly).

Tried calling Furrion support but only got voice mail and don't really expect much help from them. OUr dealer didn't seem to know what an RF channel was either LOL tho ( I actually do know).

So hoping someone got a Furrion TV in their unit and has the same issue--or maybe we have a defective TV. Not above buying a new TV if that's the case--noticed in googling that the Sony TVs had options for dealing with RF channels--they mentioned having a particular channel, like 3 or 4, that you used to watch. I can't even get to a channel--I get message to do channel scan.

Thanks for any help.

Diane
Picnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

I've never tried cable on either of mine. Not a big TV watcher when camping. What I remember is, booster needs to be OFF and TV source set to CABLE and not AIR. I've got no way to play with it where it's parked now or I'd go see what I could find.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:01 PM   #3

Thanks. We are rather past our camping days (used to tent camp & small TT) and so this is more mobile hotel room LOL. So--nice in evening to watch. I tried air and am able to get about 5 digital, 58 RF channels but only see digital (and signal is iffy even turning antenna) but we DO have cable in campground. Problem is it scans and continues to ask for channel scans each time it reaches end rather than go to the channel numbers as it does with antenna. Booster turned off, cable selected, scan done-nada.

The RF channels are what are transmitted via cable so something is wrong--now I wonder if we have a wiring issue or the cable we are using between source on box and RV(which has it plugged into cable--satellite is also a choice--tried both). Problem is no way to check it once we are not in campground as far as I can determine--our cable at home is digital with box but both campgrounds we have been at have straight cable, no box. Its a conundrum for sure--but someone has to have had a similar issue.

Thanks very much for your answer.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:13 PM   #4

Starting to sound like a loose connection somewhere. Wouldn't be the first time something wasn't hooked up right from the factory. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:17 PM   #5
Professional Curmudgeon

One campground we stayed at has digital cable, but you had to check out a box from the front desk to access it...
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:32 PM   #6

Nope--unfortunately

No, both have direct--even asked when we came in. At Jekyll Island in GA it scanned several times, had a number of RF channels but took a number of scans to get it to allow using channels--just out of the blue the second day when I tried again.

At this one, about 130 RF channels (from Comcast and desk gave us a channel guide) but it just goes immediately to "do channel scan" as soon as it finishes the first one. Very strange. The antenna scan worked, opened the first channel as soon as it finished--unfortunately we are midway between Savannah and Charleston and none of the channels are stable.

We are going to buy a new coax cable tomorrow and try--someone on another forum when I googled suggested the pin might not be long enough for a similar issue.

Diane
Old 06-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #7

I have heard reports of coax cables being left loose behind the wall plates and/or being switched between cable/sat. Although, it sounds like you've been able to get yours to work intermittently, which tells me that it might be an issue with the TV itself?

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax
53flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:47 AM   #8

In my Brookstone we have the Furrion TV's. I personally think they are junk for the most part. My opinion of course. The one in the front bedroom takes approximately 30 minutes to scan channels and then at the end, it just might scan again. Not exaggerating. It will eventually lock them in and the picture is not terrible. I'm just hoping for the day when I drop it accidentally and have to put a Samsung in there. I know my post might not be of any help to you but I just wanted to pass my experience with the Furrion.

Luckily I did drop my living room Furrion and replaced it with a nice Samsung. I honestly didn't mean to drop it. Actually had it on it's stand on the shelf and forgot about it when I moved the trailer. I'm sure didn't take long for it to fall off the shelf and go boom. I hated the wall mount and was in the process of putting one up that extended out and just forgot to take it off the shelf and lay it on the bed. Oh well, We have a nice tv in there now.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #9

I tend to agree with you--never heard of the brand prior to getting it with trailer. We have either a Sony or Samsung in same size I think, not being used so will try it or buy new one I think. The problem is once we leave this CG don't know of a way to test it for cable (we are able to get air but so far away that channels aren't stable)--since ours at home requires digital box (Charter). We are going to buy new cable today since we did eventually get cable to work at Jekyll GA CG to see if we hve a bad cable (bought at last CG) but I try, rescan, nothing here and obviously people all around us are using it. Will also try our dealer again who is pretty responsive but not sure how much they can help with a cable issue.

Diane
Old 06-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #10

Stupid TV question

We also had trouble getting a signal at Jekyll Island until we discovered that you had to select the one of six (?) routers in the campground that was closest to us. That happened to be the camp office. Once we selected that one, we no longer had problems.

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneb236 View Post

Luckily I did drop my living room Furrion and replaced it with a nice Samsung. I honestly didn't mean to drop it. Actually had it on it's stand on the shelf and forgot about it when I moved the trailer. I'm sure didn't take long for it to fall off the shelf and go boom. ...........
So, what you're saying is that's your story and you're sticking to it.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #12

The Furrion brand is specifically manufactured for tow-behind RV's (which are subjected to a lot more vibration than Class A/B/C units) So this is why you don't see the brand in the non-RV arena. The Furrion we owned in our 5er was pretty darn good and scanned and acquired cable in @ 3-4 min.

If your TV is taking 30 Min to scan, you probably to not have your antenna attenuated correctly (i.e. pointed toward the broadcast towers.)

A easy (but somewhat pricey) fix is to buy one of the new Winegard powered "auto-acquire" antennas they are pretty much a direct swap with your roof antenna. The Rayzar HDTV Automatic antenna will search and scan a new area in under 2 min. If you have 2 different attenuations for different channels it will automatically swap at the press of a button. But, like I said, not cheap - you can get one on Amazon for $364.00 ( )

Another possibility for you is to consider a satellite dish. The Winegard RV dishes are made with a RVer in mind and DirectTV even has monthly plans so you can turn the service off and on.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:47 AM   #13

Bob, I would kind of agree with you on the time to acquire the channels if the Samsung in the living area didn't do it in about 2 minutes. Same campground, same antennae, same time of day. It's possible I just have a bad one there.

I use an antennae locater on my smartphone that is pretty darn accurate too.
2016 Brookstone 395RL
Old 06-16-2016, 08:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneb236 View Post
Bob, I would kind of agree with you on the time to acquire the channels if the Samsung in the living area didn't do it in about 2 minutes. Same campground, same antennae, same time of day. It's possible I just have a bad one there.

I use an antennae locater on my smartphone that is pretty darn accurate too.
AH given that information, I agree - something is wrong with the BR TV
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #15

And, I don't think my wife will let me buy the automatic antennae, even though I love the sound of that. I'm definitely a gadget guy. We'll for the time being just deal with the TV. Like I said, it eventually locks em in. Sometimes faster than others. If I'm on vacation I can take a little extra time to program a tv. I'm in no rush.
2016 Brookstone 395RL
Old 06-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
So, what you're saying is that's your story and you're sticking to it.
Serious as a heart attack. I would rather have not spent the extra 450 bucks at the time, had never even camped with the other tv yet. Brand new camper.

All my fault I guess, even though there were 3 other people helping close up the camper that could have reminded me..
2016 Brookstone 395RL
Old 06-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #17

Flummoxed

We asked the campground mgr if others had had issues and he said no, but would come up and look at the connection, TV, etc. No luck, brought back another man who knew what he was talking about, said he helped others with their TV setup--but none of us had luck with cable. After the scan where you get 126 I believe RF channels, no digital nor analog, it just asks for a scan again-and again--and again.

When I set to air and scan, it gets different numbers of digital (assume weather has something to do with it and we are about equi distance of Charleston and Savannah) but when it finishes scan it jumps right to the first digital channel--all of which except the PBS channels of Georgia and South Carolina are unstable--but both likely have repeaters relatively near us.

So we will take it back to our dealer--who is quite good with working with us--and see what they can find-problems with wiring, TV, etc.

Diane
Old 07-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #18
2016 Rockwood Ultra-Lite

Picnic,
Had a similar problem with my 32" Furrion TV in the living room of my 2608WS. Yes, it is a piece of junk tv. Replaced it with a 32" Samsung---wow--much better picture, sound, and no scanning channel problem anymore. Installed a new audio output fiber sound cable from the new tv to the back of the IRV-66 so you can use the tv sound thru the surround sound system. But that doesn't help you much. Purely by accident and frustration, I noticed the Furrion scans for digital cable channels first, then analog. I found out that as soon as it starts scanning for digital channels, push a button on the Furrion remote (I don't have it anymore, but I think it was the "Menu" or "Exit" or "Return"), and it will stop digital scanning, and go directly to analog scanning. This should be much faster, and it will display an analog channel after scanning as it should. A lot of RV campgrounds still only have analog channels on their campground systems anyway. For some reason, the Furrion gets hung up on Digital type channels. I corrected that problem. Couldn't stand the Furrion any longer. Sorry I don't remember the remote control button, but it is one you use during the channel scanning process. "Menu" comes to mind, but not positive about that. The 720P resolution LED Samsung the same picture screen diagonal size as your Furrion should be a great replacement. Got my 32" from Walmart for $150 on sale. Love it.

radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:29 AM   #19

Really helpful

Your post made me feel as though I'm not crazy LOL. We took TV back to dealer and they suggested we check our connections behind TV and at outside. Also checked our cable which was good but they added new connections to the TV and checked it on their cable (which of course isn't the same as most campgrounds). We are taking a short trip to campground that has good cable so it will be a chance to see if any of these things have improved, but suspect, like you, we will replace the TV. I will also try the things you suggested.

Thanks so much for your response.

Diane Fields
Old 07-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
The Furrion brand is specifically manufactured for tow-behind RV's (which are subjected to a lot more vibration than Class A/B/C units) So this is why you don't see the brand in the non-RV arena. The Furrion we owned in our 5er was pretty darn good and scanned and acquired cable in @ 3-4 min.

If your TV is taking 30 Min to scan, you probably to not have your antenna attenuated correctly (i.e. pointed toward the broadcast towers.)

A easy (but somewhat pricey) fix is to buy one of the new Winegard powered "auto-acquire" antennas they are pretty much a direct swap with your roof antenna. The Rayzar HDTV Automatic antenna will search and scan a new area in under 2 min. If you have 2 different attenuations for different channels it will automatically swap at the press of a button. But, like I said, not cheap - you can get one on Amazon for $364.00 ( )

Another possibility for you is to consider a satellite dish. The Winegard RV dishes are made with a RVer in mind and DirectTV even has monthly plans so you can turn the service off and on.
Not sure Direct has the monthly flex plan...........if so, I stand corrected, but this is first I've heard of it. DISH claims they have it, but if you're not a DISH customer otherwise, good luck making work like that.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote