Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2021, 06:54 PM   #1
Is cool

Summer is almost here

Summer is almost here and we're trying to get a couple trips planned before everything books up. Question for those with the 25' Mini Lites/Micro Lites 25xx.

How well does the AC keep up when it's 90+?

I'm well aware it's not going to be a meat locker in the middle of the day, but curious what to expect being it's not that large of a trailer, seeing as there are folks with 29' + trailers with only a single unit. Already got reflectix to make window coverings and even got some plans for hitting the baggage doors and other cracks/crevices.

We're in central Texas, so anywhere within a 6-8 hour drive is gonna have highs in the upper 90's starting in June and going well past Labor Day.
ChawlzW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:10 PM   #2

Well can't speak for where ever you are in Texas but on the East Coast beach campgrounds were booked months ago for the summer.

Keeping the trailer cool in the summer can be done but keeping the door(s) closed is key. The more trips in and out of the camper will determine how cool you can keep it.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:11 PM   #3

I've camped in 98F weather in a 29' box (salem cruise lite 263bhxl) in Oklahoma heat with only a 13k unit. I always made sure to have a site with partial shade. In the heat of the day it would hold 80 with the thermostat set to 73. And around midnight the A/C would start to cycle off and on.

80 air conditioned air is not that uncomfortable, just to the point of keeping you from sweating. Any colder than 73 and the wife and kids would complain "it's cold in here"

Our new camper is the same length but has a 15k and 13k in the bedroom so we can camp out in the sun and not have to be worried about it.

I suppose you don't have much in the way of shade down in Texas?
Dirthawg_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirthawg_ View Post
I suppose you don't have much in the way of shade down in Texas?
Depends on where you are in Texas. In east Texas, it's the piney woods and trees are abundant. Central Texas... it depends on where you're located. West Texas... not as many trees and lots of westerns are filmed there.

To help with keeping cool, you might want to buy an oscillating fan. Keeping the air moving reduces 'hot spots' and makes it feel cooler. If you're in an area where there is humidity, a dehumidifier helps. Sometimes even if it's a dry area a dehumidifier helps because just living in a rig produces humidity.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:26 PM   #5

The question that comes to my mind is why camp in the summer, and then worry whether you can stay cool? Why not camp fall, winter, and spring, and store the camper over the summer until the weather gets better again?

We are in the mid to upper midwest but probaly have fewer camping nights in the summer vs the other three seasons. It’s just not fun camping in the heat.

Sorry, I realize that doesn’t really answer your question.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:16 PM   #6
CGK
Camping with Labs

We also prefer cool weather camping, although our current TT has 2 ACs and handles warm weather well. But the crowds seem more difficult to avoid in the warm weather, which is another incentive for Spring and Fall camping. Our previous TT (30' box) only had 1 AC, but almost all of our camping was in the North and/or off-season, so that was generally not an issue. "Almost" is the key word.....we went south to TN in mid-June one year to see the Great Smoky Mountains. Wow, was that hot!! Daily highs were mid- to upper 90s, and it didn't cool down that much at night - easily mid-80s (above our usual high temperatures at home in the summer). There were TTs there with 3 AC units, which should have told us our 1 AC wasn't going to do the job. And it didn't - daytime temps inside were around 83 degrees. Thankfully we weren't there much in the daytime and the mountains themselves were cool. At night, the interior temperatures got down into the mid- to upper 70s, but it was never really comfortable. If we ever consider a hot weather location again, we'll do it in the winter! You, on the other hand, are probably accustomed to heat; so perhaps those temperatures wouldn't seem so bad to you. If not, have a ball. If so, try the Fall! Good luck!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #7
Retired Army MSG!

we have camped all year. Was out a couple of weeks ago in the low country of SC. We had a couple of 80 degree days and used air for the dog mostly when we were out. If you have two units with 50amp shore power you should be fine, however, in unshaded areas and sun beaming down in the 90's don't expect to hang your steaks and roast from the ceiling. As others have said, keeping the door closed and the shades down will help greatly.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:56 PM   #8

OP is from Texas it's always hot down there! It's just as hot in Oklahoma but the uncomfortable period is shorter than Texas and the humidity is ridiculous from May to September. Me and my wife tent camped for over 20 years so we only camped on spring break and fall break, (I can't sleep when it's hot).

The whole reason we purchased a travel trailer was so we could camp in cold and hot weather and be comfortable at night. During the day when it's hot we go jump in the lake. Sitting around camp we utilize a large 36" fan with misters attached and bring a shade tent for the picnic table if shade is limited. At night the A/C keeps the rig cooled enough to get some sleep.
Dirthawg_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:36 PM   #9

Heat

I am in the Dallas, TX area. The insulated vent pillows, foil sheet insulation on the back window , and shower window helps a lot. Also if your outside storage is under the bed, adding some 1' foam sheet insulation glue between the metal support bars helps.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote