Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #1

Surprise find of Wall water damage from window?

Just got this 2007 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2701SS. One owner, used two dozen times and the interior is in close to perfect condition. Exterior has some rusted screws but all in all a really sharp clean trailer. To my surprise on our first trip out I happen to move a curtain then lifted the back bunk mattress up and found a hole and wet wood.

Im going on a good guess its from the window. Does something like this happen from cracked leaking caulk around the exterior of the window or does it go deeper than that?

Input from you pro's would be so appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	59140  
Old 07-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #2

One has to wonder if the previous owner knew of the water damage but didn't disclose it to you.

To answer your question. It is possible that water is getting in around cracked caulk. I would also look up on the roof for a leak.
bradw661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #3

Yes I wondered the same about disclosure but more disappointed in myself as I should have caught this.

I do see dried out cracked caulk around the window. Should I be pulling the window out and looking at that seal too?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #4

Ex.lights,roof,window all could be Culprit! You might find More than what you want? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #5

As Youroo pointed out the leak could be elsewhere so I would eliminate those possibilities prior to taking the window out. If you plan to replace the wall board inside you might go ahead and remove it to see if that will reveal the leak point.
bradw661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #6

roof seam where roof rubber meets front wall. Marker lights caulking, and window caulking are most likely culprits.
People often over look the exterior marker lights but there is a nice hole in them for wiring and if caulking is compromised can be a good source for water intrusion.
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #7

I highly appreciate your inputs. Thank you for a direction to start the process. Always go to the Pro's !

Tags
water