Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2021, 11:19 PM   #1

Swapping out the mattress with memory foam?

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone swapped out their mattress with memory foam or something better for better sleep? Is it just me? My wife complain that the mattress is uncomfortable to sleep.

If you have swapped it out . what mattress did purchase?

thank you
Old 03-02-2021, 12:21 AM   #2

I'd try a mattress topper first. They don't cost a lot and some people love them.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I'd try a mattress topper first. They don't cost a lot and some people love them.
I was thinking the same thing. something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Linenspa-Infu...4664529&sr=8-7
Old 03-02-2021, 03:00 AM   #4

I have no clue as to a good mattress topper. You might try the 'search' function and see what other people have bought.

Make certain to measure that mattress to get the correct size before ordering.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:40 AM   #5

I am not sure what mattress topper my wife purchased but our first trip out we already had it and we sleep great in the supplied mattress in the 19BH. I was planning an upgrade till we tried the topper too so my recommendation would be a topper, plus you can always carry it over to the new mattress if it did not help.

The topper seemed to almost feel like a more dense comforter if that helps. I am sure it was more on the value side than luxury side of the scale.
awd.nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:36 AM   #6

TEMPUR-Topper

My wife looked long and hard. Her first purchase (don’t remember the brand, but she bought it at Costco) was a failure, but it cost about half of what we ended up with. We returned the first one after buying a TEMPUR-Topper and trying it out for a few nights. With this topper, I can’t tell the difference between our TEMPUR-PEDIC bed at home and the bed in the RV with the topper.

When we bought ours, it cost quite a bit more than they do today, but it is worth every penny we spent back then.

This is the one we have:

https://www.tempurpedic.com/other-pr...supreme/v/288/

One thing to keep in mind with the memory foam toppers, though — you can’t just jump into bed if your RV has been sitting in the cold for a while. The memory foam toppers need to get to a comfortable room temperature before they can be slept on, and that can take a good bit of time to do. Otherwise, they are rock-hard and as stiff as a board. When we received ours, it was just above freezing that day and just as cold in the back of the UPS truck. It took about 1-1/2 hours of it sitting in our living room, watching it slowly expand after taking it out of the box before we could even begin to start rolling it out flat.

Here’s a couple of articles about cold memory foam mattresses:

https://www.sleeppassport.com/can-a-...er-freeze.html

https://www.foambymail.com/blog/unde...ther-products/

Bruce
Old 03-02-2021, 12:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
My wife looked long and hard. Her first purchase (don’t remember the brand, but she bought it at Costco) was a failure, but it cost about half of what we ended up with. We returned the first one after buying a TEMPUR-Topper and trying it out for a few nights. With this topper, I can’t tell the difference between our TEMPUR-PEDIC bed at home and the bed in the RV with the topper.

When we bought ours, it cost quite a bit more than they do today, but it is worth every penny we spent back then.

This is the one we have:

https://www.tempurpedic.com/other-pr...supreme/v/288/

One thing to keep in mind with the memory foam toppers, though — you can’t just jump into bed if your RV has been sitting in the cold for a while. The memory foam toppers need to get to a comfortable room temperature before they can be slept on, and that can take a good bit of time to do. Otherwise, they are rock-hard and as stiff as a board. When we received ours, it was just above freezing that day and just as cold in the back of the UPS truck. It took about 1-1/2 hours of it sitting in our living room, watching it slowly expand after taking it out of the box before we could even begin to start rolling it out flat.

Here’s a couple of articles about cold memory foam mattresses:

https://www.sleeppassport.com/can-a-...er-freeze.html

https://www.foambymail.com/blog/unde...ther-products/

Bruce
thank you so much on the tumur topper. the price is way too high for me. I'll see if I can get something similar and try it out.
thankyou
Old 03-02-2021, 12:07 PM   #8

For our previous TT we bought a topper from Wal Mart, it was fine!! Our current TT came with a Denver Mattress that is awesome!!
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:11 PM   #9

We use a memory foam topper, from Walmart, that is about 4-inches thick. It works pretty well.

David & Elise
Windjammer 3001W
RAM 3500 SRW
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #10

We tried a topper in our first camper. Soon after, we got a foam mattress from bedinabox.com. Two campers later, we’re still using it. We traveled for our work for several years before retirement and needed a better quality mattress while living in the camper for months on end.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:11 PM   #11

Another vote for a memory foam mattress topper. Adds comfort no matter how good or poor mattress you have.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:11 PM   #12

We originally tried a topper on our mattress and it still was horrible. So we replaced our original RV king with a Novaform Comfort Grande California King from Costco. LOVE it! It's 4" longer than the RV king (same width) but it works for us in our 2016 38FL6. I highly recommend this mattress!

Happy Camping!
Bobh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:24 PM   #13

This is the one we bought from Walmart.com. A 2" topper will take the edge off but a 3" or 4" is like a new mattress.
Lucid® Dusk Gel and Aloe Infused Memory Foam Topper, 3 inch, Queen
$69.99
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:36 PM   #14

Natural latex mattress

We changed our mattress to a natural latex material. Various size and thicknesses are available.
The thickness I believe will determine the firmness of the mattress. It’s not cheap but being a natural grown material it does resist bugs and such without any treatments. Being in the rv while in storage or even perhaps anytime buggy infestation is possible so we opted to go this route and spare the problem of having any kind of bug infestation.
Johnny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:55 PM   #15
Tom Stauffer

Best upgrade is mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone swapped out their mattress with memory foam or something better for better sleep? Is it just me? My wife complain that the mattress is uncomfortable to sleep.

If you have swapped it out . what mattress did purchase?

thank you
We ALWAYS upgrade the mattress. Forest River does not spend money on mattresses. Getting a memory foam is perfect. Compare prices, as Amazon is not always the best price. Newest trailer has a king bed and the memory foam mattress is fantastic. I bought (on Amazon) Waterproof Cover and Two Contour Pillows included with 5.3 Cloud9 Cal-King 4 Inch 100% Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Brand: Cloud9 Bedding Memory Foam. Spent about $265
I have a base from the previous trailer memory foam that I cut to fit.

2021 Alliance 310RL
2019 F350 XLT Super Cab 6.7 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel
tpstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #16

Wink Memory foam with pillow top

We bought a Memory Foam 3" with pillow top for our mattress in both our home bedrooms, and decided, hey, we need this for the camper too; so, we did it, or I mean we're going to do it for our trip this month. We have a foam mattress on the camper bed now without the pillow top, but we figure we'll just get a whole new set of both. They are soooooo comfortable! I think my husband got them at the Sam's store or Walmart, can't remember. Price near or a little over $100.00. Happy Camping!

Janet Geal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #17
2014 XLR 27HFS

We are in our second toy hauler. When I bought this one, the first thing I did was throw away the factory mattress and put memory foam on both beds. So nice to have a comfortable mattress.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-02-2021, 03:06 PM   #18

Dynasty mattress in a box

We have always swapped out the poor excuse for an RV luxury mattress as soon as our backs got sore! We are in our 7th RV from 13’ TT to our current 38’ fifth wheel.
In 2015 we purchased a : Dynasty 10” Queen CoolBreeze GEL Memory Foam Mattress with Free 2 Gel Pillows: 1 x $349.00 .
Came rolled up in a box - once we slit the plastic wrapping, it opened to the most comfortable mattress I’ve ever slept on.

Might look a bit pricey, but the quality is there.

2014 Coachmen Brookstone 325RL
2015 Chev Silverado 2500 Diesel.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #19
D W

Putting a topper on an RV mattress is like putting lipstick on a pig. We got a 8" Cool-Gel Memory Foam Short Queen from Walmart several years ago. $268 delivered. Sleeps as good as the Tempurpedic at home. Full expansion in 6 hours with very little off-gassing.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:30 PM   #20

Mattress Swapping

I just did it! Swapped out the original Serta for a Sleepys COZI, rv short king.
Fabulous! I have had the original mattress for 5 years and I full-time in my 2015 Dynamax Force 37BH. My GF has a Tempurpedic. Tested them side-by-side. a comparable Tempurpedic would have been $3000 delivered...bought the COZI on sale for $550 delivered. I had to trim the mattress with a 12” serrated knife...easy! Fits the bed area perfectly but had to have GF redo new sheets for proper fit. Well worth the $$! Do it! My back generates no pain now!
Jetjockey6 is offline   Reply With Quote