Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to jeffho Send a message via Skype™ to jeffho
tail lights

On a 2021 2109s rockwood t.t. are the rear tail light assembly wired for backup lights?I am thinking about replacing them a larger unit with more light output as well as a rear backup white light.
jeffho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #2

Highly unlikely, but without seeing your unit I could not be sure. There is provision at the Bargman plug for a separate wire for the backup lights, but it is rarely used on either the tow vehicle harness or the trailer.

If your existing tail light has the separate "bulb" and accompanying clear sector in the lens, then the TT probably is wired for backup lights. Without the bulb and lens, it's unlikely Rockwood would have run the extra wire for no useful purpose.

Depending on the construction of your trailer and the routing of the existing wiring, adding the wiring for backup lights could be quite easy, or quite difficult. And then you would have to make sure your tow vehicle had the extra wire from the backup light circuit to the plug.

I have heard of people using the backup light circuit to add rear-facing spotlights or scene lights for rear illumination. If I were doing this, I would NOT tie to the backup light circuit in the tow vehicle. Instead, I would give them full-time power, with a manual switch so I could turn them on when wanted.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #3

My 2017 26RLWS was not wired for backup lights. Just the stop/turn and running lights. The reverse wire for the 7pin was just capped at the junction box on the tongue. This is the best place to start looking.

I replaced the taillights because I could barely tell the difference between brake and running lights. In hindsight a truck tailight bar would have been a better solution that would have been easier and comes with backup lights with a long wire. Many also provide sequential amber turns which would require a 2 to 3 wire converter if you did it yourself but they have the circut built into them. I had to add a license plate holder and lights after the swap because that was both how the plate attached and how it was bolted on...kind of got into the project before I researched it well...live and learn.

You can check wiring pretty easily by looking where the wires go from the bottom of the trailer in most cases. If you have a sealed underbelly you can still find them in the corners coming through the frame at the corners most times or pull the taillight itself to verify if they are connected at the 7pin. My experience has been they dont run a wire if they have no need to.

For reverse lights I found that just the back was not enough when pulling in at night and you need to be able to see the wheels as well. I put a few cheap led fog lights on from amazon and wired them on the tongue to one of these https://realtruck.com/p/anzo-univers...xoC7MAQAvD_BwE

I put two in back and two at the end of the aframe by the stabilizers and just turn them on/off with the keyfob. The power I wired to the tongue and put in a waterproof box. I just leave the keyfob in the truck and turn them on manually before backing in. They have come in handy when people get impatient and try to go around me when backing in. Saved an accident at least once.

On the control
1. Is for the lights on the way back
2. Is for the front lights
3. Is for underbelly lights
4. Is for tpms repeater

First pick is reverse lights (all 4)
Second is underbelly LEDs.
Third is taillights and license plate lights.

Good luck!Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_215304.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	242553Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_215311.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	242554Click image for larger version

Name:	20190929_111110~2.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	242555
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
On the control
1. Is for the lights on the way back
2. Is for the front lights
3. Is for underbelly lights
4. Is for tpms repeater

First pick is reverse lights (all 4)
Second is underbelly LEDs.
Third is taillights and license plate lights.

Good luck!Attachment 242553Attachment 242554Attachment 242555
That is a very nice set up for lights. Well done.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light