Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2021, 07:29 PM   #1

Tank Level Indicators ACTUAL level? 2021 19BH

Hello,

I am curious as I am quite cautious with tank levels but how accurate are the tank levels with the system Rockwood uses for monitoring? We usually camp with hookups so it is not super critical but we have some boondocking trips coming up so I figured it is a good time to ask.

I usually dump tanks at the 2/3 level, but if I let it go to the Full light, is that like STOP WHAT YOUR DOING FULL, or hey finish washing your hands and then dump tanks?

What happens if Gray overfills during a shower for example, would it just not drain any longer or? Black I am less concerned about filling but I suppose it is good to know as well, would it be to the point where I could see the level through the toilet?

Sorry about the newbie questions, have only had this trailer 2 months and never let it go over 2/3.

Thanks for any help!
awd.nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:35 PM   #2

I have the same grey water light dance with my FR3 - I cant even trust the lights -.

Advice If your grey tanks are full typical you will notice water backing up in your shower. it wont hurt anything but what I would do is take a 5 gallon bucket drain some grey water from your system and dump it into your black tank via the toilet.
so when you travel overflow wont slosh around in your shower.

Black tank is another beast - dump it when full, do not let it get to the level where you can see it in our toilet-
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
I have the same grey water light dance with my FR3 - I cant even trust the lights -.

Advice If your grey tanks are full typical you will notice water backing up in your shower. it wont hurt anything but what I would do is take a 5 gallon bucket drain some grey water from your system and dump it into your black tank via the toilet.
so when you travel overflow wont slosh around in your shower.

Black tank is another beast - dump it when full, do not let it get to the level where you can see it in our toilet-
Thanks, good to know about the gray. We also have some campground trips with only power so I might get a Camco tank w/wheels to empty the gray as needed.

Black is the least I worry about but was still curious. We have done a couple 2 night trips, 2 adults and 2 kids and have yet to see it go over 1/3. When flushing the black tank I do let the water level get up to 2/3 so I know at least that light works. Would suck finding out the hard way that some of the LED do not work haha
Old 03-24-2021, 07:11 AM   #4
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd.nv View Post
Hello,

What happens if Gray overfills during a shower for example, would it just not drain any longer or? Black I am less concerned about filling but I suppose it is good to know as well, would it be to the point where I could see the level through the toilet?

Thanks for any help!
If your gray tank happens to fill up while you're showering, you'll be standing in water. That has happened to me many times in our various fifth wheels. I simply finish my shower, dry off, get dressed and empty the tanks. It's not super critical.

But, as has been mentioned - don't wait until you can "see stuff" in the black tank.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:28 AM   #5

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/products/
The best mod I have ever done!

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:54 PM   #6

Think about this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd.nv View Post
Thanks, good to know about the gray. We also have some campground trips with only power so I might get a Camco tank w/wheels to empty the gray as needed.
Think about this. Our Cherokee 38P is permanently sited at a site with water and electricity but no sewer. We have a 25 gallon sewage tote; not Camco. When it's full, it weighs over 200 lbs.

It's a two-wheeler. Lifting one end to move it around is a 100 lb. lift. It has little 4" wheels which makes it tough to drag through the pea gravel alongside our unit, and tiring to drag 1/4 mile to the dump station. (The three- or four-wheel units don't have to be lifted while moving them, but they are twice as hard to drag through gravel, sand, or soft earth.)

I usually pull it with the golf cart; before we had the cart, I pulled it with our SUV, after I dragged it 30 feet through the gravel.

The sewage tote is a reasonable solution for us (and everyone else at this campground). But think twice before you decide on what size. Two trips with a 25 gallon unit is easier than one trip with a 40 gallon unit.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:38 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

Another useful tip, your toilet will burp when it gets nearly full. After the first burp you will have 2 or 3 more flushes for #2, 4 to 5 more flushes if only #1.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:28 AM   #8

Thanks everyone, good information.

@Larry-NC

Well that is good information on the 2 wheel vs 4 wheel. I was split between some of the larger ones just for the 3/4 wheel options but I did not even think about how well it would would move in rocky trailer pads. I think I may just go with the 15 gallon Camco one. Aside from the full capacity weight, It will be easier to store on my rear trailer ladder or my cargo roof basket when empty too (SUV).

Tags
cat, tank