Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #1

The mysterious case of the missing cat

We loaded up the cat for his first voyage into the mountains in the trailer. He had his water, food and a padded bed thingie that the DW put in for his "comfort". After 4 hours we finally got to our boondock place in the woods. Got all set up and went inside to see how the cat was...no cat! We know he's squirrly as all get out but missing? we looked high and lo, no cat! We have a 2304ks that has the darn gaps behind the sofa and at the head of the bed that go straight into the front pass-through, looked in there, no cat. We were stumped. Where could he have gone? I don't remember any bright lights over our truck, so gray's were out. I put the bed down, no cat. Honestly this was beginning to get weird. Then wifey happened to see a shadow in the front window over the bed on the pull down shade. Lo and behold Buddy was between the window and the shade just sitting there with no worry in the world. I raised the shade and he stepped down onto the bed like nothing had ever happened.
The case of the lost cat had been solved.....
Old 07-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #2

The cat rides in a moving trailer?
He belongs in a cat carrier up in the tow vehicle while driving.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
Lets go camping!

im no animal person but it was probably terrifying for the cat riding in camper because they bump around so much.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #4

In many states this is illegal for good reason. This is simply animal abuse.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
The cat rides in a moving trailer?
He belongs in a cat carrier up in the tow vehicle while driving.
Why, is there some kind of law?.... Didn’t think so.... Sheese
Old 07-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #6

What a view

Wow only 3 minutes for the criticism to start. Imagine that.

At least he had a great view in a nice sunny spot for the ride!!
Old 07-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounnder View Post
Wow only 3 minutes for the criticism to start. Imagine that.

At least he had a great view in a nice sunny spot for the ride!!
In the short time I’ve been here, it appears there are those who have absolutely no common sense, constantly criticizing FR for any and everything, even when it’s their own fault, and all of the busy bodies who I guess don’t have a life.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:32 PM   #8

Wow, this went from funny to weird in one step!

Thanks for sharing the funny story. Good luck with the cat!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
Old 07-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #9
D W

No criticism from me, but I would like someone to explain to me why some folks think it is okay to subject an animal to this type of treatment.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 07-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #10

as an animal control officer I can say that is far from abuse. There is not such law or ordinance about an animal in an rv. Michigan has some of the best written animal law there is and it only covers animals from being carried in an open truck bed (not in a box or carrier) Im sure the cat was just fine. Better then leaving an animal in a hot car with sun baking on the glass.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #11

Here in NC a person can ride in a travel trailer while it's rolling down the road......However, my DW never volunteered If for some reason space in the TV was limited she would drive and have me ride in the TT before ever considering putting are dogs back there
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Old 07-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #12

as a side note, I am sure a cat does not know the difference between the bumpy back seat of a tow vehicle and a bumpy cozy rv.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
as an animal control officer I can say that is far from abuse. There is not such law or ordinance about an animal in an rv. Michigan has some of the best written animal law there is and it only covers animals from being carried in an open truck bed (not in a box or carrier) Im sure the cat was just fine. Better then leaving an animal in a hot car with sun baking on the glass.

What is the difference between riding in a closed trailer and a closed car? When we travel in the summer it gets really hot in the trailer even with both vents open. Last week when we drove to INDY, when i plugged the camper in the Inside temp of the trailer read 95 when i went to turn on the air
Old 07-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #14

I don't know hot hot is was where the op was. The thermal effect of the sun on glass is what makes an animal in a car dangerous. I have shades on my camper windows don't you? I was more referring to them leaving the cat in a carrier in the car when they made stops. My dog rides in my back seat on her bed and I don't leave her unattended. Not all people are that smart. I pull dogs out of cars all the time and charge people with neglect.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #15
Just as confused as you

When we first started taking our 2 cats camping with us we had a popup. The cats loved roaming the popup while we we're packing to go. While traveling one would sit on the lap of the passenger while the other sat in the back on top of our clothing watching the popup out the window. They would switch off every so often. That all changed when we bought a TT on a seasonal site. They instantly hated riding in the van. They were fine once at the TT. The only thing we could figure is they thought it was vet time, which they always hated.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Old 07-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I don't know hot hot is was where the op was. The thermal effect of the sun on glass is what makes an animal in a car dangerous. I have shades on my camper windows don't you? I was more referring to them leaving the cat in a carrier in the car when they made stops. My dog rides in my back seat on her bed and I don't leave her unattended. Not all people are that smart. I pull dogs out of cars all the time and charge people with neglect.

i do have blackout shades that down and vents fully open. Meanwhile, TMPS on spare tire just baking in sun read 100+.

Regardless of legality, its still a poor move.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #17

like I said I don't know how hot it was where the op was. to call it abuse or illegal is just plain ignorant. You have pressure monitoring on a spare? Was your spare in your camper? or does that mean TEMP?
Old 07-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #18

Cobraman, thanks for the funny/interesting story! Sounds like the cat was purrfectly fine
Some folks think animals need to be treated better than humans in every manner and see abuse everywhere.
I would love it if your cat could talk. Sounds like it had a great time.
I've ridden in my fiver before while traveling, and it's really not bad at all. Especially when I'm on the bed in the front half of the RV.
Enjoy your travels with the cat!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 07-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
No criticism from me, but I would like someone to explain to me why some folks think it is okay to subject an animal to this type of treatment.
Reread your first couple of words....do you know what a oxymoron is? Google it, that being said, exactly what type of “treatment” was this animal subjected to?
Old 07-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #20

There are many state laws that prohibit humans from riding in a travel trailer, I wonder why that is?
Common sense dictates animals deserve the same treatment as humans..especially so!
Closed Thread

Tags
cat