Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #21

We have also been underwhelmed with the water heater. In our 2013 Jayco x23B the recovery time was much faster, the hot water lasted longer and even if it ran out it would still provide warm water. I'm ordering a new showerhead thinking it might perform better, http://amzn.com/B00F5MUB66. As someone suggested, I did check my bypass valve yesterday on the chance that it was in the wrong position allowing hot and cold to mix but, no, it is set correctly.

Haven't seen the subwoofer under the sink. I assumed it was next to the fireplace under the iRV66. Yes, the iRV66 leaves a lot to be desired in documentation as well as functionality. Funny, I also watched the new Star Wars in the trailer yesterday but I was doing chores in there, not camping. Also watched the Masters. That LG has a pretty sweet picture.

I opened up the undersink panel in the bathroom and decided that the inside of that cabinet door is the perfect place to mount the toilet roll. Just open the cabinet door when you sit down. I hung the towel bar on the trim piece above the bath/bed passage.

I changed the Winegard ANT/CABLE/AMP wallplate out for this, http://amzn.com/B007AORLC4 and added the Winegard Wingman antenna, http://amzn.com/B001U2DPUE. Picking up twice as many channels now and the signal meter on the wall plate makes tuning the antenna a breeze. While in there I modified the satellite wiring and put a DirecTV splitter behind the wall so I can hook up my 2 receivers without messing with splitters and jumpers in the shelf area.

When I picked up my trailer I gave the dealer this BR TV mount to install, http://amzn.com/B00AZS91UC. It comes with 2 slip in brackets so you can move the TV to 2 different locations. The dealer installed the one in the bedroom too high and barely left enough room to slip the mount into the bracket so I moved it over and down a bit. The dealer wouldn't install the outside mount saying they wouldn't drill through the fiberglass. I think they were just being lazy because they drill through fiberglass all the time. I contacted Forest River and they sent me the side wall schematic showing where the steel backer is for the outside TV so I got that mounted up. A bit concerned though as I didn't feel any steel when drilling the holes. I did feel the steel when drilling the inside mount. I've got some very strong little magnets here at work so I'll take them home today and do some checking. I was able to feel the backer for the inside TV using the magnets in a bottle opener but it wouldn't work through the fiberglass.

Has anybody checked their 8329SS for level when it's closed up? I know it's going to lean when the slides are out but it seems like it should ride level when closed up. Mine leans toward the driver's side about a full bubble. It's making hitch installation a problem because the passenger side is higher and it's hard to unload the weight distribution bar on that side?
TXFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:08 AM   #22
Some guy in back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFolkie View Post

Has anybody checked their 8329SS for level when it's closed up? I know it's going to lean when the slides are out but it seems like it should ride level when closed up. Mine leans toward the driver's side about a full bubble. It's making hitch installation a problem because the passenger side is higher and it's hard to unload the weight distribution bar on that side?
TX, thank for your message!

We don't watch over the air or satellite TV much when we're camping, so have not explored the antenna situation. I know it works, but that is about all. I saw the write up on the radio improvement and would like to try that.

We had an "oxygenics" showerhead in our last trailer and that may have helped, but I am convinced the Atwood is a superior water heater all around. PPL has them on sale and I may just buy one and put it in.

I have not checked for level closed up, but I will. Do you use the tongue jack when clamped onto the ball to raise the assembly up and relieve the pressure on the bars to make it easier to snap up (and down) the spring bar chains?

I'm locating the TP holder in the same place. How and to what did you fasten yours?

Cheers!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChateauV10 View Post
I have not checked for level closed up, but I will. Do you use the tongue jack when clamped onto the ball to raise the assembly up and relieve the pressure on the bars to make it easier to snap up (and down) the spring bar chains?

I'm locating the TP holder in the same place. How and to what did you fasten yours?
Yes, in fact the first time I was trying to get some slack on the passenger side I completely lifted the rear wheels off the ground before I realized it.

On the TP holder I just used some short screws and went right into the backside of the cabinet door.
TXFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFolkie View Post

I have noticed that the drivers side is heavier, 2 slides, pull out sofa bed, kitchen, bath, bed, water heater, furnace and storage. All on one side, that's a lot going on. I have always felt that the front drivers side tire is overloaded it always looks low on air but rarely is. It is also the warmest wheel/wheel bearing using digital thermometer. For that reason I have swapped tires to load D even though I'm sure that the corner in question exceeds axle rating as well. Which is my opinion why they upgraded axles and tires on the 2016 8329SS.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #25

Uhduh,
I don't want to hijack the thread but others may have the same issue. I had a problem with water coming up through the front corner of the kitchen slide above the tire and also on the dining slide when driving in the rain. After contacting the FR rep, the dealer came up with a fix by wrapping a piece of 2x4 wood in the belly rubber membrane material and attaching it on the inside of the lower portion of the slide wall above the wheel well. This shielded the slide seal from water coming up and fixed the issue on both sides. By now, FR must be aware that there is an issue on some of their trailers. Originally, there were some foam pieces sandwiched together by self adhesive located in that corner. But they had come unglued from the heat and bouncing and fell off. It was a very poor design.
lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #26
Some guy in back...

Guys, thanks for the input! As I have said, so far in towing through two California rainstorms, I've not seen any leakage inside, but I am keeping my fingers crossed nonetheless!
Cheers!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #27

Looking to get the 2016 83299SS

We are looking to finally trade in and up to a new trailer. We currently have a Keystone Cougar and have been checking Jayco, Grand Design, Forest River,etc. after reading some of the comments about the loud toilet, poor sound system, water heater recovery and leaking slide it sounds like I should probably avoid this model.
Any thoughts?
bmbdcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:34 PM   #28

They all have their issues. We have heard horror stories about many units from all manufacturers. Most of my issues have been minor and I have been able to resolve them myself.
We really like our Rockwood, it has allowed us to grow our memories with family and friends. Your PDI and your signature are your best defense and weapon. If used wisely you will make a great purchase.

Hensley Arrow
Old 04-27-2016, 09:57 PM   #29
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Our 8329ss

We now are going on our 3rd year in our 8329ss and have been full timing in it for 1 1/2 years. We love the comfort level, have no water leaks, tow it with a Tundra and an equalizer hitch that works so well we had a street side rear tire blow just east of Cortez Co. A week ago and didn't know it happened until a guy pulled alongside and waved.
That tire did a $1000 damage to propane lines and all kinds of wires & Camping World in Colorado Springs took us in for repairs immediately.
But the TT acted like we were in a mild crosswind with a slight sway while that tire was shredded.
That is damn good handling on 3 tires.
As for the lean on the fridge side, we have the 3 slide version and feel like w all 3 open it is pretty level. We do carry a 2x6x5' plank and if either side leans in a site we pull it up on the board.
Hope that helps.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:22 AM   #30

Thanks Maron....I really appreciate your input. Your comments do
Put me more at ease
Old 04-28-2016, 05:23 AM   #31

Thanks uduh, I really appreciate you weighing in and giving me your honest comments.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #32

We have travelled in our 8329ss for three years. No problems that were created Forest River, but a few created by yours truly. Great Trailer.
pator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pator View Post
We have travelled in our 8329ss for three years. No problems that were created Forest River, but a few created by yours truly. Great Trailer.
No trailer is "camper-proof!"

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #34

We love our 8329SS...the floor plan works for us and we really like the "back-to-back" slide-outs in the living room. The only downfall is not being able to get to the fridge during stops but we have worked around that. The bathroom and bedroom are accessible while traveling. The issues that we have had could have happened with any RV. The dealer has been fantastic and that is what is important when buying new. We have experienced this with boat and RV ownership. This is the third Forest River that we have had and it's been by coincidence that they were the same manufacturer. Get what you like and make sure that you ask for the extended warranty, as it's very inexpensive, because the dealership may not inform you about it.
lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:45 AM   #35

I want to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. After serious consideration we have decided to go ahead and move up to the Rockwood! We were lucky to find a dealer "close" to us that has two in stock. The other bonus is that they come with great reviews and based on the condition of our current trailer will be offering top dollar on a trade in!
Old 05-04-2016, 05:19 AM   #36

Congrats

Hensley Arrow
Old 05-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #37

Just curious...how much "bounce" or movement do you feel in this TT after you are all setup? I've noticed some people in other threads talking about extra jacks to stabilize their rig ( not this model ).
Old 05-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #38
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbdcj View Post
Just curious...how much "bounce" or movement do you feel in this TT after you are all setup? I've noticed some people in other threads talking about extra jacks to stabilize their rig ( not this model ).
You will feel some movement in ALL trailers. (unless put up on permanent blocks)
Some folks are affected by that slight movement more than others.

Added jacks in the center frame area helps, as does the addition of something like the JT Strongarm stabilizer systems.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #39

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll have the dealer install the strongarm system before picking it up.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #40
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbdcj View Post
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll have the dealer install the strongarm system before picking it up.
A decision you won't regret.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8329ss, rockwood