Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #1
Broken Toe

Thoughts after 1 year of ownership

Exactly 1 year ago today, we brought the 8329SS home from the dealer. Here are some random thoughts and experiences regarding the camper (in no particular order)

• Buying a camper in November kinda sucks as it sat a good while in the driveway before we could take it out.
  • Still in love with the floorplan.
  • the fireplace is way more useful than I would have ever thought. A fireplace was on my "do not want" list as I think (thought) a fireplace in a camper was absurd. Until I got one. It's so nice to use it on a cool morning to blow the chill out of the living room.
  • I dislike the mirrors on the closet doors. I know what I look like waking up in the morning, and it's not something you wanna wake up to.
  • Due to weight/length proper set-up of WDH is crucial!
  • Recliners are super comfy and nap very well.
  • Disappointed that my particular unit will not accept the Mor-Ryde stairs. Due to the way the door was installed, there simply isn't enough room at the bottom to allow closing the door
  • stock mattress is acceptably comfortable.
  • Inside storage is insane (especially coming from a Roo)
  • Outside storage... not so much.
  • The 'full carpet delete' option has grown on me. I like carpet, the wife like hardwood. I lost that fight, but I'm seeing the advantages.
  • TPMS is probably one of the best anxiety reliving things I have every bought.
  • Back up camera comes in a close second.
  • love having a shower that I can actually use (read: fit in)
  • 365 days, and I still have no clue where to put TP roll holder
  • The island is handy as hell. Most campers I see with a fixed island has a sink in it (looking directly at you, 8299BS) which makes some sense, but I am liking the open island and the sink on the wall countertop
  • It'd be nice if I could move the dining table. Getting in and out of the rear dining chairs (away from the TV) takes the flexibility of an Olympic-class gymnast.
  • Build quality appears acceptable. No major issues. One fridge failure (Less that $3 to fix) and 1 time the front 'underskirting' came loose (fixed at Goshen)
  • It takes me pinpoint laser guidance to get it in my driveway. Literally 1 inch too far back and the dining room slide will hit the garage gutter, 1 inch too far forward and the hitch it out in the road. At least I get a full 2 inches either way side-to-side to work with...(<-sarcasm)
  • Dual A/C setup is the only way to fly.
  • Would it been that damned hard to put "OUT" and "IN" markings on the slide room switches. C'mon!
  • This thing has nicer kitchen cabinets and counter tops than my house.
  • The 'champagne' color with black accesories looks good now, but I wonder if it will ever feel dated. I say this because my first camper was a 1989 Winnebago in a very close 'putty' color. It seemed back then that every RV was a beige or putty color. Now when I see an older one, I thing "Wow that thing looks dated". But then again, I think that when I see a white Rockwood Signature Ultralight. I think its all gonna come back around on the wheel again.
and finally:
  • I really thought I'd get a chance to camp it more than we did this year. The stars never really aligned to let us do that, but I'm hopeful for next year.

Overall, I'm tickled with it and have no regrets.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #2

Congrats and that’s the way life is sorry! We just bought our Rockwood mini lite 2509S and brought it home at the end of October and we don’tget to take it out until spring! Kind of stinks living in the Midwest with winter!!! But glad to hear you really like your trailer overall! So far we love ours as well!!! [emoji41][emoji1591][emoji1303][emoji1308][emoji1305][emoji1309][emoji12]
stlramper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #3

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005Q...o1L&ref=plSrch
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
[*][*]Would it been that damned hard to put "OUT" and "IN" markings on the slide room switches. C'mon!
Our slide switches are labeled SLIDE (above the switch) and ROOM 1 (below the switch). The dealer pointed out that SLIDE has an "i" in it - so In. ROOM has an "o" - so that's Out. Works for me.

Glad you're enjoying your rig. Safe travels.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #5

I installed one of these in the side of the bathroom vanity in our 8312ss. Works good for us. There really wasn't a good spot in ours for the one supplied with the trailer.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #6

Thanks. I enjoyed reading this.

My "one year" saga would be quite long. And a rocky road it was, but the final destination is beyond awesome and I'm way more than pleased. 115 days last year, way more in 2018.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Thanks. I enjoyed reading this.

My "one year" saga would be quite long. And a rocky road it was, but the final destination is beyond awesome and I'm way more than pleased. 115 days last year, way more in 2018.

Wow I’m jealous!!!
Old 11-02-2017, 05:02 PM   #8

Sometimes the rain gets to you but then again..

The weather is mild enough on the Western side of the Pacific Northwest that we have 9 or 10 months available for camping.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgarys View Post
It does indeed rain a lot in the Pacific Northwest but it rarely snows. We picked up our Isata 3 near the end of September. We got out for three nights is September and three in October. Next weekend we have three nights in Hood River (many breweries to check out) and then a week or so rambling down the Oregon coast over Thanksgiving.

If we do see snow this year it will be around December or January. We'll spend those months making plans for next year starting February or March.

As for the rain, it's here until the fifth of July but we think it's a fair trade.

Sounds good Luckys!!!! I’m jealous! Lol [emoji23]
Old 11-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #10

Thanks for the write up. We also bought an 8329ss. We will be doing our first camping trip during Thanksgiving. So happy that you still love yours. Hopefully we will have the same luck as you. The only negative I can see at this point is the outside storage but I guess we will have to move some stuff inside instead.
Tsmac43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:04 PM   #11

I bought 10-26-16 and too am pretty happy....just not enough use. That’s my not the RVs fault.
Fireplace...agreed
Recliners....comfy
Mattress...tho upgraded...sucks
Switch marking doesn’t always make sense
Most of the color schemes make no sense to me either

Well said.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #12

We attached the TP holder to the inside of the linen closet door on ours.
c5driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #13

Glad you've enjoyed your rig!

We still are placing our TP roll on the counter. We are in the same boat, the counter is serving us well, so I think worrying about the placement of the holder is slowly fading away.

We, too have loved our camper. It is nice to hear good news, instead of nothing but bad. Thanks!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5driver View Post
Same here and I took out the screws holding the dining room table so we could move it, much better now. Good write up as we are into our first year as well. We have put our 5th wheel away for the winter and looking forward to next years adventures.

2017 Saber 330CK
2014 F250 Lariat 4x4 Diesel 6.7L
BigBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #15

TP holder

We also have a 8329, at Menards we found a 1/4 round hanging shelve that hangs on the vanity door.
My wife keeps her blow dryer and a roll of TP on the little shelve.

We removed the screws that keep the door locked, installed a magnetic cabinet latch to keep the door closed.

Very handy to open the door and grab the TP.
brfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #16
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBay View Post
Same here and I took out the screws holding the dining room table so we could move it, much better now. Good write up as we are into our first year as well. We have put our 5th wheel away for the winter and looking forward to next years adventures.
I am thinking about this. Does the table move around much driving? Do you still strap the chairs to the table?
Prior TT 2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS Classic Ultra lite - SOLD 5/21
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
I am thinking about this. Does the table move around much driving? Do you still strap the chairs to the table?
We added another strap over the top of the table and use the same floor anchors that the chairs use.

2017 Saber 330CK
2014 F250 Lariat 4x4 Diesel 6.7L
BigBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #18

Thanks for the comprehensive update. Regarding the stairs, have you consider the GlowStep Revolution?

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #19
ARLO

We have an 829FKs flagstaff. Stopped strapping the chairs after the first year, 2011. 1 chair moved only once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #20
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5driver View Post
X2, you have the bathroom door closed anyway, so I thought why not. Just need shorter screws so you don't go through the door. I put a 3/4 inch piece of wood on each side so I didn't have to worry about the screw length.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote