Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #1

Tire Pressures in Different Load Range Tires

I just bought an 08 Rockwood Ultra Lite 8283SS. Really nice unit and a great upgrade for me. The sidewalls on the tires on it were cracking so I decided to replace them on my own schedule rather than theirs. I've had enough problems with tires in the past to know that stronger is better so event though the specs on the Load Range C tires met the requirements for the trailer, I went with Load Range Es.

The sticker on the side of the RV says use 50psi which is maximum for the Load Range C tires. The Load Range E tires can take as much as 80psi. What is the correct tire pressure for me to use and the pros and cons of the higher pressures vs the lower.

THanks,
bschift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #2

bschift,

You not only have to consider the maximum pressure the tires can handle but also the maximum pressure rating of the wheels. The maximum pressure for the wheel may be stamped on it somewhere. If not you may need to contact forest river to find out that information. You will want to consult tire pressure/load charts to find out how much air pressure is required to support your trailer.

2010 Rockwood Windjammer 2609W
Reese dual cam sway control
2002 Chevy Express 1500 LT
Family of 4 and WeBJammin'
WeBJammin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #3

I checked the rim and it allows 60 psi. Now the question is to use 50 or 60?

Thanks,
bschift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #4

All the tire manufactures say trailer tires are designed to be run at their max pressure. Under inflated tires get hot and hot tires explode. No doubt the increased plys in E rated tires make them more durable. You may want to consider upgrading your wheels.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #5

bschift,

The benefits of raising the tire air pressure to the maximum are that the trailer can be loaded to its gvwr, if it is not loaded to its gvwr it will have extra air in the tire in case it develops a slow leak from a punture. The tires might also have less rolling resistance causing the tv to get greater fuel milage. The negatives to doing this are if the trailer is not loaded to its gvwr it may have a firm (harsh) ride and the tires may wear prematurely in the centerof the tread due to not enough weight to keep all of the tread in contact with the road.

2010 Rockwood Windjammer 2609W
Reese dual cam sway control
2002 Chevy Express 1500 LT
Family of 4 and WeBJammin'
WeBJammin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #6

The weight sticker is for the factory stock tires. Your rims are rated for 60 PSI, Run that. The tire is rated at XXX load at 80PSI so remember that when you inflate it to only 60 PSI that your load rating will not be XXX but a percentage less of that rating.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood