Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
Owner/Operator
 
RodeoGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 671
Tires (again) I promise my last time

I've read so many tire threads that my head hurts. Then the age related memory problem kicks in, and I either cannot remember exactly what was said, or cannot find the post in which it was said.

Okay, now my situation and question.

New 8289WS inbound in a few weeks. One of the first things I'm going to do is change the tires. I'd like to change the rims out for 16", but there might not be enough clearance above the tire to do that, or that may result in the tires being too close together. I will not know this possibility until I have the RV and can measure. Changing out the rims would also allow me to get a higher PSI rated rim.

I plan to put Load Range E tires on the RV, and I know that Maxxis makes a 15" ST Load Range E tire that I can get through the local Discount Tire store.

My question to the group is, what Load Range E ST tire do you recommend?

I know that there are many personal preferences, but if I can compile a list of the potential tires, I can then research reviews and experiences on each.

Thanks for your input.

RodeoGeorge
__________________

RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 13,939
Let me think,oh yea,Maxxis load range E! Youroo!!
__________________

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
wyo700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 901
I am gonna be ordering my maxxis tires in a few weeks. Load range D for me.
__________________
2012 Sandstorm 203slc
2013 Toyota Tundra
Eqil-l-izer hitch,Prodigy P3
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
DAISY BOYKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SUNSHINE STATE
Posts: 1,740
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I changed my tires at---------------

I have a 2011 Rockwood 8285WS Super Lite 5TH wheel which I replaced the tires at 1900 miles with Goodyear MAXXIS 15" load range "D". Be careful when upgrading to "E" range or 16" tires & rims. After installing the "D" range tires, I was checking the clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well. I noticed after a couple of trips the rear door side tire had rubbed or touched the wheel well slightly. The driver's side is OK, plenty of room because of the cutout for the L/R slide. There is an adjustment to the axles with slots where you can drop the tire down some what. This I have not done, don't know what this would cause as wear or misalignment.
I am always reminded each time I put my tire covers on just how close the tire on the rear is to the wheel well.

Just some info that may be useful.
__________________
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 3s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS 6.7L/SWD/6R140/BFT
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2018 60 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 13,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
I have a 2011 Rockwood 8285WS Super Lite 5TH wheel which I replaced the tires at 1900 miles with Goodyear MAXXIS 15" load range "D". Be careful when upgrading to "E" range or 16" tires & rims. After installing the "D" range tires, I was checking the clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well. I noticed after a couple of trips the rear door side tire had rubbed or touched the wheel well slightly. The driver's side is OK, plenty of room because of the cutout for the L/R slide. There is an adjustment to the axles with slots where you can drop the tire down some what. This I have not done, don't know what this would cause as wear or misalignment.
I am always reminded each time I put my tire covers on just how close the tire on the rear is to the wheel well.

Just some info that may be useful.
Are you sure they are (Goodyear-Maxxis)?? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
I replaced the tires at 1900 miles with Goodyear MAXXIS 15" load range "D".
Sid,

I think you meant Goodyear Marathons or just Maxxis.
Two different companies.
Herk
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Helmsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 848
If sticking with an ST load E I will be purchasing Maxxis.
__________________
2015 Chevy 3500HD
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ
Helmsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
DAISY BOYKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SUNSHINE STATE
Posts: 1,740
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
LOU, YOU are right!

My TYPO mistake, my tires are Good Year Marathons. I had MAXXIS on my old RV.

Thank all for pointing out the TYPO or was it just a SENIOR MOMENT!!!!
__________________
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 3s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS 6.7L/SWD/6R140/BFT
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2018 60 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
My TYPO mistake, my tires are Good Year Marathons. I had MAXXIS on my old RV.

Thank all for pointing out the TYPO or was it just a SENIOR MOMENT!!!!
No worries; I get them more often myself.
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Owner/Operator
 
RodeoGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
Be careful when upgrading to "E" range or 16" tires & rims. After installing the "D" range tires, I was checking the clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well. I noticed after a couple of trips the rear door side tire had rubbed or touched the wheel well slightly. The driver's side is OK, plenty of room because of the cutout for the L/R slide. There is an adjustment to the axles with slots where you can drop the tire down some what.
Thanks for the input.

I am puzzled by the tire diameter issue though. The specifications on the Maxxis site list all three 255/75R15 tires (C, D, and E Load) as being 28.3 inches in diameter.

Is it possible that the Maxxis are larger in diameter than the original tires?

Or were the original tires 205/75R15, which would have been 27.1 inches in diameter?

I'm also familiar with the slotted adjustment on the Torque Flex axle mount, as there was a thread regarding that mounting bracket slipping. If one were to move all 4 mounting plates the same distance, I don't think it would change the alignment, but I'd have to study that a bit.

Again, thanks for the input.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
Missing Link
 
cyclepuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Genesee, MI
Posts: 415
Tire diameter will vary slightly between manufactures but will all be within 1/4" of each other. And did you mean 225/75 instead of 255/75
__________________
2014 Puma 30-DBSS
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.4L
cyclepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
Owner/Operator
 
RodeoGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepuck View Post
Tire diameter will vary slightly between manufactures but will all be within 1/4" of each other. And did you mean 225/75 instead of 255/75
Good eye cyclepuck. You are correct. 225/75R15.

I am unable to edit the post. I guess too much time passed.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #13
garry
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Branson,mo
Posts: 5
RodeoGeorge, Maxxis makes a 235/75/15 Load range d tire in the LT line. I put them on my 8280ws and they just barely fit without rubbing. Not sure what the diameter is but I could not and would not go any bigger on mine.

Garry
__________________
Camperdad
1DW,1 DS,1DD,1 2 furry friends
2011 Rockwood 8280ws 5ver
2011 Ford F250 Lariet 6.2l 3.73gears
camperdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #14
Owner/Operator
 
RodeoGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperdad View Post
RodeoGeorge, Maxxis makes a 235/75/15 Load range d tire in the LT line. I put them on my 8280ws and they just barely fit without rubbing. Not sure what the diameter is but I could not and would not go any bigger on mine.

Garry
The only 235/75 ST tires that I could find on the Maxxis site are 16 inch.

That doesn't mean that they don't make them. Just couldn't find them.

As I said, I might go to 16 inch rims, IF, there is plenty of clearance on top, AND that does not put the tires too close together. Depending on what the RIM PSI rating is on the rims that come with the RV, I might change the rims for a higher rated one, and if I do AND the 16 inch will fit, I'd do the upgrade to 16 inch.

Thanks for the input. Now back to Google. LOL

RodeoGeorge

EDIT: I just re-read your post and see that you have LT tires, not ST. That's why I couldn't find them in ST.
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #15
garry
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Branson,mo
Posts: 5
Yes they are LT Tires and they are 8 ply max air is 65psi. I believe they were in the 135.00 range on price and I had to special order them.

Garry
__________________
Camperdad
1DW,1 DS,1DD,1 2 furry friends
2011 Rockwood 8280ws 5ver
2011 Ford F250 Lariet 6.2l 3.73gears
camperdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
We have a similar camper.
First, there isn't enough room for 16 inch rims and tires.
And D-rated 15 inch tires have plenty of load capacity, and you can run them at 65 psi, as the factory rims are rated for that.
We put Maxxis D's on ours, and run them at 57-58 psi, which still provides lots of spare load carrying capacity.

As for moving the axles, don't even think about it. They are supposed to ride up tight to the camper frame. You may actually have to add a vertical bolt up through the axle flanges into the camper frame to keep them in place. I believe some one has pictures of the operation on this site somewhere.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa3pnt View Post
I've read so many tire threads that my head hurts. Then the age related memory problem kicks in, and I either cannot remember exactly what was said, or cannot find the post in which it was said.

Okay, now my situation and question.

New 8289WS inbound in a few weeks. One of the first things I'm going to do is change the tires. I'd like to change the rims out for 16", but there might not be enough clearance above the tire to do that, or that may result in the tires being too close together. I will not know this possibility until I have the RV and can measure. Changing out the rims would also allow me to get a higher PSI rated rim.

I plan to put Load Range E tires on the RV, and I know that Maxxis makes a 15" ST Load Range E tire that I can get through the local Discount Tire store.

My question to the group is, what Load Range E ST tire do you recommend?

I know that there are many personal preferences, but if I can compile a list of the potential tires, I can then research reviews and experiences on each.

Thanks for your input.

RodeoGeorge
I changed my tires after a blow out with the org. tires that came with the 8289WS. I put on Marathons D rated which are 8 ply ST, They fit on the rim with no problem. I'm very happy so far with them. Remember now that Good Year has all the ST brand made Off Shore, but they do come with DOT rating. I run at 65 lbs. and the load rating is something like 2300lbs. Good Year says they are good to 65 miles per hour and you would need to add air if you like towing at 70 miles per hour and they have a scale that will tell you how much more to add. You can not go wrong with them. At the Florida rally both Daisy and the OldCoot also have the same tire, but I think that theirs where made in USA before Good Year made the decision to ship that brand ST off shore........
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Remember now that Good Year has all the ST brand made Off Shore, but they do come with DOT rating.
Do you know when the Marathons stopped being made in Gadsden Alabama?
That plant has been making ST tires for a long time.

Yes, Marathons are made overseas as well in several countries.
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
DAISY BOYKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SUNSHINE STATE
Posts: 1,740
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Unless things have changed!

My tires were also made in China, At the time of purchase (AUG 2011) , I was told at the time all the marathons are made in China. I also run 65# air in the tires. They are "D" rated.

They are DOT stamped.

Hey CLJURCZYK, did you register for the Cherry Blossom rally?
__________________
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 3s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS 6.7L/SWD/6R140/BFT
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2018 60 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,534
My Goodyear Marathons were made in Alabama in the 24th and 25th week of 2010.
I just wondered if something happened to the plant (Factory Code MD).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mallory Wedding 3 229.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	23970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mallory Wedding 3 234.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	23972  
__________________

__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 PM.


×