Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2021, 11:34 PM   #1

Towing Mini Lite 2514S with Chevy Colorado

Has anyone had experience towing the Rockwood Mini Lite 2514S with a 2020 Chevy Colorado diesel 4x4 Z71. We did a test pull and found that there was swaying occurring when we reached 80(50 mph) or more. Is this a normal occurrence or is something causing it and how to correct. We were using a weight distribution hitch with 1000 lb bars. When hooked up with WDH, the truck and trailer are level. Thx
Codyvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:40 PM   #2
Camping the Natural State

Needs more tongue weight and/or better sway control.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:27 AM   #3
RiderBloke

Weight distribution and anti-sway are two different functions and not every hitch that does the first does the second. I used the Equalizer hitch for a couple of years but changed to the Andersen system for ease of use.
https://shop.andersenhitches.com/pag...ribution-hitch
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:34 AM   #4

That's a 7500lb GVWR camper, are you within your specs? the 4x4 colly even being a diesel may be over loaded.
SquiggyFreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #5

I agree with the “may be overload” and you need to check that door jam sticker. If you are bent on that setup you may look at going big with a Hensley hitch, it will add weight to the tongue but it will eliminate wag / sway.
I have a 2506s and tow with a 2021 Tundra, bought it without appreciation of payload limitations, in hindsight I would have gotten a Titan and gotten another 400#s of payload or another 1000#s with the Titan TD. I first used a R3 WDH and then got a Hensley, what a difference, still at or slightly over weight but it is a stable ride.
Good Luck
Best—ALAN
BigAzAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:02 AM   #6

I got the Haulguage to check trailer and tongue weight. As mentioned your tongue weight may be too low. Would be interesting to see the actual weight of the trailer too. I always air up the truck tires close to max pressure, it helps stabilize things a bit.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:43 PM   #7

{Quote from BigAzAl post: I have a 2506s and tow with a 2021 Tundra, bought it without appreciation of payload limitations, in hindsight I would have gotten a Titan and gotten another 400#s of payload or another 1000#s with the Titan TD.}

Hey Big AzAl: I have a 2014 Tundra towing a 2506S> I travel loaded with just shy of 5300# on TT and with extra gear in truck plus DW and myself about 500# and don't have issues towing. I use a E-4 Equalizer WDH. I'm curious about you're limitation of payload. Can you explain?

Thanks, Chuck T.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckt View Post
{Quote from BigAzAl post: I have a 2506s and tow with a 2021 Tundra, bought it without appreciation of payload limitations, in hindsight I would have gotten a Titan and gotten another 400#s of payload or another 1000#s with the Titan TD.}

Hey Big AzAl: I have a 2014 Tundra towing a 2506S> I travel loaded with just shy of 5300# on TT and with extra gear in truck plus DW and myself about 500# and don't have issues towing. I use a E-4 Equalizer WDH. I'm curious about you're limitation of payload. Can you explain?

Thanks, Chuck T.
Same set up 21 2506s and a 2019 Tundra with an Anderson WDH. Tows like a dream w/no issues.
"No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing..."
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #9

Sure Chuck, I weigh 6180 with me and my wife, I have a 7200 weight limit so I have 1020 pounds of weight to play with. The FR website says our TW is 709#s for the 2020 model, mine is a 2019. I have a Hensley hitch is 190#s, so my adjusted TW should be at 899#s , so I debit that from the 1020 I had to play with and that leaves me a paltry 121 #s. There is my concern.

Now I will be hitting the CAT scale again soon with a full lead of fresh water as I am readying to sanitize the tanks, I will update with those numbers.

I am new a TT and when we decided to do this, buy the 2506s in a private sale (bought it new July 2020 and I bought it in March) , I needed to trade my 2020 Lexus GX460 which I truly enjoyed and was my first Toyota product in quite some time. Two of my son-in- laws, and several of their friends had Tundras and they have a reputation. My focus was too narrow on pulling capacity and I did not start to focus on payload until joining this excellent forum.

I will add that the 2506 came with a R3 WDH and even when I torqued sway arrester down, it was more than I liked. The Hensley does as advertised, no sway at all. Cruising at 65 can be one-finger relaxed, not that I do much of that.

I will update when I do the CAT scale with the TT and will then know if I need to see how good Toyota resale value is on a 2021 Tundra Limited with less than 5K miles .

Best—ALAN
Old 05-12-2021, 04:25 PM   #10

You are right at (if not over) the limits of your tow vehicle:

Mini-Lite: https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...ite/2514S/5690 - 7585 pounds.

Colorado: https://media.chevrolet.com/content/...ct%20Guide.pdf

Note that it's "up to 7700 pounds" tow capacity, but here's the fine print:
"1Required Colorado 2WD model with available 2.8L Turbo-Diesel engine and available Z82 Trailering Package.
Before you buy a vehicle or use it for trailering, carefully review the Trailering section of the Owner’s Manual. The
weight of passengers, cargo and options or accessories may reduce the amount you can tow."

So your 4x4 can't tow this much, and the 4WD package not only eats into towing capacity, but it also sucks up payload capacity. And the z-71 suspension package is NOT a tow package, it's an off-road package. More ground clearance, probably taller tires with more dirt-oriented tread, more resilient shocks meant to handle the punishment of off-roading, and so on. https://fourwheeltrends.com/what-doe...sion%20package.

So, at best your truck has the capacity to handle that trailer, but evil handling will take some work to exorcise. More tongue weight will help, assuming your truck has the reserve load capacity to handle that extra tongue weight. And don't forget that your WDH adds to that load on the "bumper" even if it's transferring some weight forward. There's no free lunch here. For giggles, let's assume your entire WDH package weighs in at a portly 100# (or more). Your max payload, meanwhile, is 1422#. So your tongue weight STARTS at 585# and goes up when you add a battery or two and so on. Quoting "bikendan", a member of the forum site team, "...the published "dry" tongue weight number is without batteries, options, cargo or water. All it includes is the weight of full propane tanks." So let's toss in 85# for a battery and plastic box, let's guess another 100# in cargo distribution to help with the tail wagging the dog syndrome, 100# for your WDH, and so on. Suddenly, you're bumping up against 870# of "tongue weight."

That leaves you with 1422 - 870 = 552# of payload capacity for you, your spouse, your dog, and whatever you put in the truck bed or rear seat. Let's be generous and say that the two adults weigh in at a combined 300#. That leaves you with 252# for actual cargo in the truck. Jumper cables? They count. Tool box? It counts. Twinkies? They count, too.

You might make weight, but you have no margin for error.

I used the phrase once, but yours is a classic case of the tail wagging the dog...in your case, a Chihuahua.

What might help...MIGHT:
Airbags or sumo springs at the rear.
Inflating the TV tires to max sidewall pressure to reduce squirm. Better yet, more "truckly" tires with a higher load range rating and allowable tire pressure to minimize wallow.
Sadly, more weight on the tongue.
Tighten up the WDH to transfer more weight to the front and ensure that your front axle has a firm grip on terra firma.
Check alignment on your Mini-Lite.
An anti-sway device...note that there's no free lunch on weight here either, and some can be pretty chunky.

Tutorial on Sway:

Also be aware that passing semis and other large vehicles will induce sway. Similarly, wind around underpasses (as you enter and leave) can knock you for a loop. To a lesser extent, wind channels through the mountains can present some nasty surprises with lateral gusts. You need to be wary whatever you do.

Learn how to brake properly to dampen out sway...trailer brakes only.

Will what you have work? More than likely, but your experience already proves that yours is a case of every ounce of 10 pounds in a 10 pound bag.
You have work to do.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:35 PM   #11

Remember, regardless of how you balance your load, you should not exceed the capability of your tow vehicle door sticker. Your vehicle is built with a limit towing on the transmission, cooling and most of all braking ability. Just because you get by overloaded, doesn't mean it will be pleasant driving or safe.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:52 PM   #12

I towed my 2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S with my 2015 Chevy Colorado Z-71 from Florida to Central N.Y. and back 3 times.... hitting the Smokies, Blue Ridge, Endless, Catskills, Shawungunk, Appalachian, Adirondack,Green and Berkshire mountains as well as the hills in the Finger Lakes region of N.Y.. That same Colorado now tows a 2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604WS through those same areas... no problems with the exception of the China Bomb Syndrome with the 2604WS..
Enjoy!!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:23 PM   #13

This is to Scottnweeze and Chuck with 2506 and Tundras. I hit the CAT today and loaded by bed with a 100# generator, 40# hoist, mud tool boxes for another 100#s, all were between read axle and tailgate to bias the back; then my R3 hitch in my backseat floor board and the R3 1200# bars for added weight. No passengers but did fill up. No water and empty black and grey tanks.

The load limits are in () as shown on the door sticker. Steer axle 3420 (4000#); Drive axle 3440 (4150#), trailer axle/s 5540. Interestingly a few days ago with me and my wife, the numbers were steer axle 3460; drive axle 2720, a total of 6180 towards the 7200 weight limit. I think I have my WDH dialed in nicely, the front end for 40# s lighter and the rear added 720#s. I may tighten the WDH bars a little tighter next time out.

Soooo, I guess I have some wiggle room there as the 250#s of generator, tools and hoist will not be making the trip to Mount Rushmore next month.

Best—ALAN

My steer axle was 3420, the drive axle
Old 05-13-2021, 08:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAzAl View Post
This is to Scottnweeze and Chuck with 2506 and Tundras. I hit the CAT today and loaded by bed with a 100# generator, 40# hoist, mud tool boxes for another 100#s, all were between read axle and tailgate to bias the back; then my R3 hitch in my backseat floor board and the R3 1200# bars for added weight. No passengers but did fill up. No water and empty black and grey tanks.

The load limits are in () as shown on the door sticker. Steer axle 3420 (4000#); Drive axle 3440 (4150#), trailer axle/s 5540. Interestingly a few days ago with me and my wife, the numbers were steer axle 3460; drive axle 2720, a total of 6180 towards the 7200 weight limit. I think I have my WDH dialed in nicely, the front end for 40# s lighter and the rear added 720#s. I may tighten the WDH bars a little tighter next time out.

Soooo, I guess I have some wiggle room there as the 250#s of generator, tools and hoist will not be making the trip to Mount Rushmore next month.

Best—ALAN

My steer axle was 3420, the drive axle
Thank you so much for posting!!
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, mini lite, tow, towing