Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #21

If you ever want to kill a few hours, sign up for the "Lock Picking Lawyer" channel on YouTube. Each one lasts less than 3-4 minutes, but they are addictive. You'll be watching one after another. And as always, "Have a nice day."
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:23 PM   #22

Duluth Trading Company

Anti-theft trailer coupler ball and lock
Luvnordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
I bought a set of six long shank Master locks in 2007 and have used them on my TT, car hauler and UTV trailers. I also have two security cables for generator and any other item that could walk away. I have keys on all of my vehicle rings plus two extra sets in the truck toolbox and TT pass through.
Did you change the factory lock on the TT pass through? The factory locks only have a few unique keys to them and chances are half the RV owner's in any campground can unlock your factory storage locks.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:15 PM   #24

This trailer hitch lock is my favorite

This trailer hitch lock is my favorite, I use it on my utility trailers. From my point of view, the work required to get it off would make the theft not feasible and/or destroy the trailer hitch.

Master Lock 377DAT Trailer Hitch Lock. $30.63

AlaskaRed
AlaskaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:30 PM   #25
Brake is on left

It is like swimming with sharks. You don't have to outswim the shark, just outswim your friends. Lol. Your rig has to be the least desirable to steal because of the work to get the lock off.
We just lock the latch as well as a coupler lock and hope for the best.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnlindsay View Post
here is something like i use. One for the receiver and one for the trailer coupler. Keyed alike also, works great for me.

https://www.amazon.com/czc-auto-rece...%2c216&sr=8-40

this above is what use.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:33 PM   #27

LockPickingLawyer

look up lockpickinglawyer on youtube and search for his vids on rv locks. You'll be amazed at just how useless most of these locks are. But, at least you'll get an idea of what works best.
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
look up lockpickinglawyer on youtube and search for his vids on rv locks. You'll be amazed at just how useless most of these locks are. But, at least you'll get an idea of what works best.
"Locks keep honest people honest."

A thief will not be stopped by a lock but they are 'opportunists' and will always pick the easiest and quickest target.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #29

Do a search on Youtube for the Lock Picking Lawyer, and see which brands he finds easiest to pick, break, or circumvent. His channel is pretty entertaining to me, since he remains anonymous, has impressive experience picking or bypassing locks, and has a huge following since his style is straight forward and interesting to listen to. You'll quickly get the idea that most locks aren't worth the money charged, since many popular brands can be defeated with the most basic of tools--or no tools at all. Some have no need to be picked, since there are easy ways to unlock or get around them. Sadly, he doesn't specifically list in one page all the locks that are essentially worthless, nor the locks that are most difficult to open with any tools. That said, remember that any big box hardware store sells battery-operated grinding wheel cutting tools, and they can quickly cut through the affordable locks in under a minute. The trick is to have your equipment well enough protected that thieves choose easier targets. So use trail cams & big locks with thick metal, that have protected key mechanisms and hasps that aren't vulnerable to easy breaking with common tools like a pair of open-ended wrenches. You'll see that certain locks with VERY heavy-duty metal may also be quite easy to pick with the right tools. Round keys, U-shaped locks, are no guarantee of security.
DuluthCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:33 PM   #30

Fort knox

https://www.campingworld.com/megahitch-lock-coupler-vault-pro-combo-kit-110849.html
Zack F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:45 PM   #31

If you're truly concerned about thieves, think like one and you'll see that even the most expensive trailer hitch locks have simple vulnerabilities. In some cases it would be simplest to remove the bolt beneath the ball hitch, then connect that ball to the thief's vehicle and drive it away, complete with lock. In other cases the trailer hitch attached to the tongue of the trailer can be easily taken off and replaced with an unlocked replacement hitch, simply by removing three bolts. It's just a matter of chasing the weakest links around, and making it so inconvenient that thieves will hit your neighbor's equipment instead of yours.
DuluthCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:47 PM   #32

Tubular locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuluthCamper View Post
Round keys...are no guarantee of security.
Here's the key for your tubular lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bic2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	261547  
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:19 PM   #33

X-chock

I use x-chocks with combo locks.
Yes they could be cut off, but they would slow an "opportunist" long enough to consider a different rig.
Robertsmusings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:24 PM   #34

My choice for the coupler lock: https://www.draw-tite.com/product/63...r-coupler-lock (Gorilla)
BucknB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:34 PM   #35

RV theft protection

I agree with the comments posted above.
The best you can hope for is to make your RV more difficult to take than others nearby.
We have always used a hitch lock.
As noted, you can just use chains to pick up the tongue and head off.
We used to travel by motorcycle in our younger days.
At that time we used a case hardened chain and ran the chain between the wheels and something stationary nearby - such as a large post or bench.
The same chain will work to run between two tires on one side of the trailer through the holes in the wheels themselves.
Thieves will not be able to pick up the tongue with a chain and head off.
They will also not be able to put on the spare on one wheel and head off.
If you use a good padlock with a round security key it will be very difficult to pick.
The weakest link is the lock as it could be removed with a grinder or cut-off tool of some kind.
Both the chain and the lock are case hardened - however, nothing cannot be cut off.
Would certainly discourage all but the most determined thief.

Always looking for something better - there is always something better out there - somewhere.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:51 PM   #36

If you ever loose your Tubular key, just grab a pen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilter3446 View Post
… If you use a good padlock with a round security key it will be very difficult to pick.
The weakest link is the lock as it could be removed with a grinder or cut-off tool of some kind.
….
A little cautionary advise. If you ever loose the key to your 7-pin tubular lock, do not worry. Grab the assortment of ball point pens in your kitchen and watch this video. ‘https://youtu.be/egtn7swD_Jg’.

7-pin tubular locks are among the easiest to open. One does not need lock picks or any real skill.

Enjoy and happy camping.
wszApex245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wszApex245 View Post
A word of caution about insurance. Insurance company never reimburse for the full value or replacement cost of an RV. The insurance company is only going to pay the depreciated value of the travel trailer which is approximately:
Replacement value is an option.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:54 AM   #38
Insert witty title here

My trailer security is 3 fold.

1. I lock the coupler

2. The DC cutoff switch is inside my locked trailer so you can't lower or raise the tongue jack.

3. My truck is parked in front.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:41 AM   #39

Hitch Lock

Howdy!

I did a ton of research for a coupler lock when we bought our Rockwood 2506s in 2018. There are a ton of items out there. I bought one, which was advertised as very robust...but it was bent during shipping! The company gave me my money back, and were very apologetic.

I finally decided to spend the money and get a very high quality lock. After all, I'm trying to protect a $25,000 trailer, right?

I got one from Proven Industries.

https://www.provenlocks.com/?msclkid...ontent=Branded

It is absolutely solid and would take special equipment and a bunch of time to defeat.

I also add other deterrents like "Protected by ADT" stickers on a couple of my windows and a "Video Surveillance" warning on my door. Additionally, I put locks on the X-chocks. I also pull the 30A fuse on the tongue jack so even if everything else was defeated, unless the thief happened to have a spare 30A fuse in his pocket the tongue jack won't work, so he probably couldn't hitch up my camper.

The whole strategy is to deter as much as possible (stickers) and to make it as difficult and time consuming (hitch lock, X-chocks locks, fuse) as possible for someone to steal my camper. Obviously a dedicated thief is nearly impossible to defeat, but most camper thefts are crimes of opportunity and the thief wants an easy, quick target. So, by making my camper harder to steal, my hope is a wannabe thief will pass and go find an easier target.

Oh, I also keep a battery powered radio playing inside the camper when we're gone. I play it loudly enough to be heard outside the door. It just gives a wannabe thief an extra reason to go somewhere else as it creates the illusion that someone is or at least could be inside.
jlh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 01:04 PM   #40

Thieves like to work quietly.

Instead of a chain thru the wheels .. a cable alarm lock would be better. Cut the cable and a 120 DB alarm sounds.

Like this:https://store.lockalarm.com/

Alarms powered by replaceable battery that cannot be accessed w/o removing the cable and deactivating the alarm = turned off via the key.

I have several of them .. different length cables and use them on my Honda inverter generator, portable satellite TV dish, etc. purchased on EBay and Amazon.

Tags
hitch, lock, trailer