Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #1

Travel trailer battery

I have an 08' Rockwood 8296SSFK. When I plug into an electrical outlet, there is a low volume high pitch whistling sound coming from the converter/fuse panel area. My neighbor stated that it was the converter attempting to charge the battery (which is bad), and if I don't replace the battery, the converter will burn up. He also that I need to keep a battery hooked up in my trailer or else the 12 volts/amps would burn up?? Has anyone ever heard of this? I am (newly) seasonal, so I always use electric, do I need the battery at all?
Kathy T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #2

Yes you do need the battery, it works the brakes in the event of a breakaway.

The noise you hear may be the fan for the converter.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:13 PM   #3

That noise is probably from the high frequency electronics in the converter. Whether it's good or bad depends on the condition of the battery. It will probably make more noise when the current output is high (charging hard, low battery) and not as much when the battery is fully charged.

I don't think you need the battery if you are not towing. Sometimes I will leave my power plugged in when I'm at home and open the battery disconnect to keep from over charging the battery. (May not be necessary, but I do it.) This doesn't seem to cause a problem. My slides won't move with the battery disconnected.

Disconnect the negative lead at the battery and see if the noise changes.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #4

Travel trailer battery

Thank you Ford Idaho and andymil! Yes, high frequency...that's the noise I hear. I know it's not the fan, that is pretty loud when it runs. I'm pretty sure the battery is completely dead at this point and everything seems to work being just plugged in to the electric box. Do you think I could ruin anything if I just disconnected it while I'm parked? I know I need it if I will be towing it again and will replace it at that time.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #5
Site Team

If your battery is dead/ bad disconnect it and remove it. Make sure the battery connections are insulated and and don't touch. You could damage converter or blow the reverse polarity fuses. If you are planning to tow, you need a good working battery to operate the breakaway switch. If you are not going to tow, the dead battery will freeze and break and could damage the RV.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #6

Travel trailer battery

Thank you Flybob!

Tags
battery, trailer, travel, travel trailer