Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #1

Trouble? PDI floor soft spot issue on new 2304DS

Good news...our new UltraLite 2304DS finally arrived at our dealer. Bad news...during our walkthrough yesterday we discovered a soft spot in the floor!

The soft spot is located halfway between the floor heater outlet in the center of the trailer and the front sofa (murphy bed) and appears to be localized, a couple of feet wide.

We left it the trailer for the service dept to diagnose and they told us later that a brace/support that the design blueprint showed in that area appeared to be missing. They planned to remove the tank under the floor and add a brace to that area to remedy the sagging floor.

Is a missing floor support/brace a common occurrence in a new trailer? Has anyone had or heard of a similar experience they could share? How concerned should we be that there isn't a bigger problem and their proposed fix is only a "Band-Aid" remedy? I know Rockwood went from laminate to plywood flooring back in late 2016 and would like to know if anyone has heard of or had similar issues since then.

BTW - other than this issue the rest of the walkthrough went very well with only a few minors fixes needed.

Thanks for sharing any experiences or advise!
StaceyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #2

Welcome and I want to say congrads on your new arrival.

Campers are put together likaty split so the probubility of something missing, something over tightened, something not quite done right is unfortunatly rather high.

We had a camper was missing plumbing...so I would venture to say that it is possible for someone to miss something as obvious as that.

"campers are always a work in progress" (humm I think I should trademark that saying
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #3

I would ask for pictures and description of repairs to put in your file for future warranty issues....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:39 PM   #4

I did not encounter any soft spots in the floor of my new 2304DS during my March 15, 2017 PDI or in subsequent use. Hope the repair works to solve your issues.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #5

If it were me, Id tell them to obtain another one same model from factory and let someone else take the "repaired unit" Who knows how they go about "fixing" the issue, perhaps just with a "band-aid" fix to get you out the door.

If dealer says no, go find one online at another dealer...........

This advice is worth what you paid for it but it is what id do if I were you.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #6

Soft Floor

If you find a soft floor in a new unit have them order you a another unit. All Rockwoods develop softy floors over time with use. Not much thickness to flooring. Better design would be 5/8 inch marine grade plywood flooring.
milton_w_herron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #7

Did you not research FR and this model? Soft floor complaints are all over the web. FR to save $25, purposely does not support plywood joints, letting them fall on "thin air". The mystery to me is why all of them do not have this issue! My 29HFS with its thicker plywood floor, has a minor one and the vinyl isn't stuck down over most of the "living room" area. We all should realize that a company that inspects 1-in-10 to 1-in-20 units that roll out are not interested in quality control. They make them look good to the untrained eye, covering up poor engineering and build quality. Live and learn.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by milton_w_herron View Post
If you find a soft floor in a new unit have them order you a another unit. All Rockwoods develop softy floors over time with use. Not much thickness to flooring. Better design would be 5/8 inch marine grade plywood flooring.
It is a trailer and made to be light. Pretty sure those floors are 1/4 " bonded flooring with Styrofoam
Just Giver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #9

We have a 2016 Crusader 295 RST and experienced a soft spot on our floor around a heat vent near our kitchen island. FR gave dealer permission to repair by going underneath the floor. When they got underneath they discovered that there was no support there. The factory had a strap holding the heat vent up.

The dealer put a piece of .75 inch plywood to support the floor and connected the heat vent to it.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:39 AM   #10

Had soft spots in floor of our 2304. Factory replaced the floor.
wbillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #11
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyR View Post
Good news...our new UltraLite 2304DS finally arrived at our dealer. Bad news...during our walkthrough yesterday we discovered a soft spot in the floor!

The soft spot is located halfway between the floor heater outlet in the center of the trailer and the front sofa (murphy bed) and appears to be localized, a couple of feet wide.

We left it the trailer for the service dept to diagnose and they told us later that a brace/support that the design blueprint showed in that area appeared to be missing. They planned to remove the tank under the floor and add a brace to that area to remedy the sagging floor.

Is a missing floor support/brace a common occurrence in a new trailer? Has anyone had or heard of a similar experience they could share? How concerned should we be that there isn't a bigger problem and their proposed fix is only a "Band-Aid" remedy? I know Rockwood went from laminate to plywood flooring back in late 2016 and would like to know if anyone has heard of or had similar issues since then.

BTW - other than this issue the rest of the walkthrough went very well with only a few minors fixes needed.

Thanks for sharing any experiences or advise!
My questions would be:

How long is this fix going to take?
(How much of your camping season will go by awaiting repairs?)

Is this a locally devised repair, or an engineered fix from FR?
(I would get FR to put a full-warranty on this fix including everything that was disturbed in the process, IN WRITING)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2304, floor, pdi