Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #1

Tundra/8280WS Recommendations or Opinions

We ordered a Rockwood 8280WS with the Sidewinder option a few days ago. Will pick it up in Elkhart. Our tow vehicle is a 2010 Toyota Tundra DC/standard bed. Does anyone have any experience with this setup. We haven't installed a fifth wheel hitch yet or brake controller. Any recommendations.
JimSandySkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #2

My trailer is very similar to yours. (see signature below)
You are going to be pushing your cargo capacity by 400-500lbs when loaded.
If I remember right, the cargo capacity is 1450 lbs.
Your actual hitch weight will be 1300 lbs+-. Add your hitch, cargo, family, and there you are.
I added air bags to take out some of the sag in the rear end.
I only run them with about 25 lbs when towing and that seems to do just fine.
Also if you haven't already, you will need to upgrade your tires to LT's.
The "P" rated tire is to squishy for heavy hauling.

The truck has PLENTY of power! No issues there.
The six speed tranny does a great job.

I recommend the Prodigy brake controller.
Mine works great.
The connection point is behind the kick panel by the parking brake pedal.
You should have a pig-tail laying in your glove box.
There are lots of clever places to mount it.
I mounted mine on the plastic shroud right above the gas pedal.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...k/IMG_2351.jpg
You might want to visit : Tundra Solutions Forum and talk to some other folks who pull lightweight fivers with the Tundra.

I can't comment on the Sidewinder becasue I don't know much about them.
I am using a Superglide and love it.

Overall my truck performs very well.

Have fun.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #3

I can not comment on your tow vehicle, but I can on the hitch and brake controller.
We have an 8286WS with the sidewinder hitch (now called the Revolution) and I love it. It only cost $400 extra and you do not have to spend the extra money on a slider hitch especially the automatic ones. I can make over 90 degrees turns without hitting the cab and you don't have to worry about sliding your hitch. The hitch also has the option of installing two bolts to convert it to a regular hitch. It also gives you some your truck bed storage back. You can place items behind the hitch and you do not have to worry about the hitch hitting them when you turn.

I agree with fivecodys on the prodigy. Those things work great. I think if you search this forum for brake controllers you will find a lot of discussion about them and will find several people with the same thoughts.
phoneman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies

I apreciate your responses. I have heard and read a lot of positive comments about the Prodogy so that choice is made. I hadn't thought about the tires/shocks; will make that call once I have a shakedown trip. The truck is only a couple of month's old and believe the power will be no problem. It has the 5.7 w/ towing package, plus I had the dealer add a Borla exhaust system (sounds great but I may get tired of listening to it. The specs say the hitch weight is 1077 lbs, with 1900 lbs carrying capacity but I wouldn't bet on it.

I considered the superglide before I found out the factory had a sidewinder option
Old 09-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Weighed our 8280WS empty after picking it up in Elkhart: 1100 lb pin, 7400 lbs total. Weighed it again ready to camp: 1240 lb pin, 8300 lb total. Hope this helps.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #6

Thanks, it does help. Tt's a little surprising to find that the pin weight is close to what they advertised.

Jim
Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
azwade

That's because it is a rear kitchen model and most of the weight goes to the rear. I just picked up my 8280WS in Aug and my weights match that of Dave_Monica. My TV is an 07 Tundra DC 6.5ft bed with 5.7lt engine, tow package, 15K superglide hitch, air bags, bilstein shocks, prodigy P3 brake controller, and top of the line Michelin "E" rated ten ply tires. Just finished a 6.K mile round trip of the east coast (I live in Tucson, AZ) and the Tundra did wonderful. No white knuckle experiences at all including the disgrace they call the Ohio and West Virginia Turnpikes with the undulating concrete freeways and mountains. Very stable and more power than you need with this 5th wheel. Averaged 10.2 mpg traveling at an average speed of 62mph. The Tundra/Rockwood 8280WS represent a great combination if you do the upgrades listed above. No experience with the sidewinder king pin.
azwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. I've been hoping that we'd get at least 10mpg and your posting confirms that... as long as we keep the speed down. Just had the Reese hitch and Prodigy p3 installed yesterday. I'm stil waiting untill we bring the trailer back from IN to make a call on the tires and air bags. It seems as though Toyota would have put something more substantial on the truck with the trailer package. We still don't have a delivery date but expect it to be within a few weeks.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSandySkipper View Post
I'm stil waiting untill we bring the trailer back from IN to make a call on the tires and air bags.

Replacing the tires may be an option...yours are probably rated at 2600# which would still be considerably higher than the rear axle weight rating. The 'E' rated tires will give you more stability.

The air bags IMHO, are not optional...you're going to need them otherwise the TV will be squatting in the rear badly.

Dave

Old 09-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #10

Thanks again. I think I'll go ahead and order the air bags. It seemed to squat a little with about 700-800 lbs. in the bed yesterday. We're still hoping to pick the unit up before the weather gets nasty and prepare for a winter trip to the west coast.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSandySkipper View Post
It seemed to squat a little with about 700-800 lbs. in the bed yesterday.

Reinforces the need for the air bags as you'll have at least 1400 lbs in the bed between the pin weight and the weight of the hitch. It's the only way that you'll get the TV to sit level.

Dave

Old 09-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
azwade

In my humble opinion, the "E" rated 10 ply tires are not an option but a must have. The stiffer sidewalls cut down on sway in the wind and when big rigs are passing.. The standard "P" metric radial that come with the Tundra are just too weak in the sidewalls with heavy loads even though they probably meet the "weight" requirements. I bought Michelin M&S2 top rated (tirerack.com) tires. On the road you will be glad you made the upgrade. Also with my Firestone 5K airbags, I only have to keep 10 pounds of air to get the unit level.
azwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #13

We quickly changed to an LT tire on my 09 F150 after two trips with the TT. Made quite a change in terms of 'mushing' while driving. Those P rated factory tires were a off/on road combo.

We went with a Michelin highway LT tire.

Also added Firestone airbags to the rear. That also improved the 'mushing' a bit.
wayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, 8280ws, rockwood, tundra