Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #1

TV Antenna Direction???

Ok, my 2018 Ultra Lite has a Wingard Razar Z1 TV Antenna. It's a directional antenna, meaning you need to point it towards the broadcast antenna. I've downloaded an app that nicely points out the broadcast sources and helps me point my phone in the right direction.

Here's my question - What is the front of the antenna? I know this sounds silly, but my guess is that it's reversed from how they are installed. When turning the inside handle in the direction for Travel, the "forward" direction used for travelling might actually the back of the antenna. It's rounded and pure plastic. Meanwhile the opposite side (rear facing during travel) has the metal arms coming out of the side. I'm thinking that side (with the metal arms) would actually be the front of the antenna, and what should be pointed toward the broadcast source.

I did find this installation guide from Wingard, Winegard Company Antenna Support, Troubleshooting and on page 3, instruction step 4, it seems to confirm my suspicion, that the "back" is the front, and the "front" is the back.

I know everyone will pounce on me to simply point in multiple directions, but my campsite is on the fringe of being able to receive any channels in 3 different directions, so I'm trying to aim this as precisely as possible without having to guess and redo a channel scan every time.

Thanks all!!!
csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #2

sorry, I can't help you with any info about your antenna, but when you do get an answer, ... you may find the "antenna point" app helpful in knowing were the towers are, ... tap on the towers shown to identify each one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0831.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	362.1 KB
ID:	171812  

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
sorry, I can't help you with any info about your antenna, but when you do get an answer, ... you may find the "antenna point" app helpful in knowing were the towers are, ... tap on the towers shown to identify each one
Thanks. Using a similar app called DTV Antennas.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

The flat end is supposed to point to the tv towers, the arrow head end is the back of the antenna and is pointed forward in the stow(travel) position.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The flat end is supposed to point to the tv towers, the arrow head end is the back of the antenna and is pointed forward in the stow(travel) position.
Are you saying then that my diagram is backwards? That my green "point" arrow should be the opposite direction? That would also confirm that it's installed backwards, if what you are saying is that the side with the metal fins should actually be front facing when stowed.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by csyrell View Post
Are you saying then that my diagram is backwards? That my green "point" arrow should be the opposite direction? That would also confirm that it's installed backwards, if what you are saying is that the side with the metal fins should actually be front facing when stowed.
Your diagram is correct.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Your diagram is correct.
Ok, I think I've got it. Forward for stowing is the smooth curved side of the antenna. This makes sense as it's more protected against damage. Forward for directional aiming is the small flat end with the metal fins.

My apologies for this. I do appreciate the assistance.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #8

I got the Rayzar that just replaces the batwing on the batwing mount and the install orientation is the rounded end facing forward which means the rounded end is forward facing when stowed. The metal blades at the rear are not electrically connected to anything within the antenna and I think they are just for looks. The antenna itself (in the rounded end) is a UHF antenna. The antenna does perform quite well. Is it better than the batwing? Maybe, maybe not.
Attached Images

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I got the Rayzar that just replaces the batwing on the batwing mount and the install orientation is the rounded end facing forward which means the rounded end is forward facing when stowed. The metal blades at the rear are not electrically connected to anything within the antenna and I think they are just for looks. The antenna itself (in the rounded end) is a UHF antenna. The antenna does perform quite well. Is it better than the batwing? Maybe, maybe not.
I emailed Wingard and received this response (almost immediately I might add!!!).

The rounded side is the back of the antenna. The side of the antenna with the visible elements is what needs to be aimed at the broadcast towers.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #10

FYI: The metal blades are indeed functional eventhough not electrically connected. Remove them and TV reception will be worse.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by csyrell View Post
I emailed Wingard and received this response (almost immediately I might add!!!).

The rounded side is the back of the antenna. The side of the antenna with the visible elements is what needs to be aimed at the broadcast towers.
My comment refers to the stowage of the antenna. If you will recall the rotational knob inside the coach for the batwing antenna has the arrow pointing aft (corresponding to the blade end of the antenna) and locks into various positions left and right. The stow position is with the arrow locked pointing aft (rounded end of antenna pointing forward) for cranking the antenna up and down. The rounded end (front or back as you will) of the Razar antenna is the business end.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #12

I have the batwing antenna that I added the “wingman” to. It really improves tv reception but makes the antenna way more directional. What I did was mark with a sharpie the ring inside the camper to match which way the the strips were pointed. Then there is no confusion about which way the antenna is aimed. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna