Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2022, 10:10 AM   #1

TV antenna on 2706ws

I can't pick up any channels with the antenna on our camper. I've tried everything that a lay person could possibly think of. I've tightened every coax connection I can get to inside and on the roof. I even took out the radio and speakers and tightened the hookups behind there. I finally used a continuity tester. The TV coax coming in from the antenna seems to be the problem. Is there an access panel that I haven't found? There's not one behind the microwave which is directly below the antenna. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm about at my wits end!
4Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:48 AM   #2

1. Have you pulled the outlet panel to which your TV coax leads, and made sure the connection is tight on the BACK of the panel?
2. Is there a channel amplifier on this panel, and is it on? (small button, usually with a green power light)
3. Is it possible that your coax is being fed by an aux/sat feed, and not the antenna on the roof?
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
1. Have you pulled the outlet panel to which your TV coax leads, and made sure the connection is tight on the BACK of the panel?
2. Is there a channel amplifier on this panel, and is it on? (small button, usually with a green power light)
3. Is it possible that your coax is being fed by an aux/sat feed, and not the antenna on the roof?
Yes I have unscrewed the outlet panel and tightened the connection on the back. I do have an amplifier with the green light. I've scanned both ways, with it on and with it off. I'm not sure what you're asking on #3 but there is no cable TV or satellite hooked up to our camper.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Blessings View Post
I'm not sure what you're asking on #3 but there is no cable TV or satellite hooked up to our camper.
I have generally seen two leads for signals coming IN over Coax: a sat/cable feed AND the antenna on the roof (in your case, powered). I'd be tempted to see if there's continuity between the coax on the roof and the coax that's feeding your TV (or) have the leads potentially been switched at some point (if the back of your antenna panel has two coax lines running to it, one could be from the roof, and the other from the Sat/Coax line in). You can also feed the Sat/Cable coax input (again, separate, and see if your TV sees that

Couple other, kinda stupid questions ... but doesn't hurt to ask:

1. Are there actually TV signals for the antenna to pick up?
2. Have you gotten signal from the antenna to the TV in the past?
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:26 PM   #5

Do you have another basic antenna you can just plug into the back of the television to see if there are any signals you can pick up that way? One other thought, I assume you have the tv set to antenna and not cable in the signal type menu?
Old 05-19-2022, 09:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
I have generally seen two leads for signals coming IN over Coax: a sat/cable feed AND the antenna on the roof (in your case, powered). I'd be tempted to see if there's continuity between the coax on the roof and the coax that's feeding your TV (or) have the leads potentially been switched at some point (if the back of your antenna panel has two coax lines running to it, one could be from the roof, and the other from the Sat/Coax line in). You can also feed the Sat/Cable coax input (again, separate, and see if your TV sees that

Couple other, kinda stupid questions ... but doesn't hurt to ask:

1. Are there actually TV signals for the antenna to pick up?
2. Have you gotten signal from the antenna to the TV in the past?
I tried to insert 2 pictures so that you can see what I'm dealing with. We'll see if they show up. Yes I have two leads for signals coming in. I have "TV" and "Aux/Sat. The "TV" is the one that shows to have continuity issues. (The same for the hookups in the bedroom) The coax on the roof is not showing to have any issues. I thought the same thing about them potentially being switched (that would not surprise me at all), but that doesn't seem to be the case.

For testing purposes, I currently have an independent antenna up on the roof and I'm picking up 14 channels. We've never really picked up very much with the camper antenna, maybe 2 or 3 channels.

I appreciate you taking the time to troubleshoot with me. Keep the ideas coming!
Old 05-19-2022, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipntdot View Post
Do you have another basic antenna you can just plug into the back of the television to see if there are any signals you can pick up that way? One other thought, I assume you have the tv set to antenna and not cable in the signal type menu?
Yes it's definitely set to "Antenna". For testing purposes, I currently have an independent antenna on the roof. I'm picking up 14 channels with it.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:26 PM   #8

PS Just FYI - Our camper came with the Teton HD Wifi Ranger which evidently also houses the antenna. There is a black coax and a white coax on it. I considered the possibility of them being installed backwards but that doesn't seem to be the case either.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:57 AM   #9

They’re not very good antennas. They’re omnidirectional and sit too low on the roof, so they’re susceptible to multi pathing and other interferences. Where the old style crank up antennas were usually unidirectional and sat a couple feet above all the obstruction on the roof, such as the ac unit.

First, and probably only thing I’d try, is run a new cable between the Teton and the wall plate. Hopefully you can just tape a new coax to the existing cable and pull it through. Otherwise it might take two people and you’ll have to try and fish it through the ceiling and/or walls.

Other than that, the antenna is probably working as well as it is ever going to work. Unless the amp is fried and it’s still under warranty, it really isn’t worth the trouble and expense of swapping it out for a new one. I ended up buying a winegard sensar iv, and cut it in near the living room tv and abandoned the Teton. It’s unidirectional and a crank up style, and pulls in every channel 50 miles out from where I live. Anyways, that would be my suggestion, first see if the cable is really damaged, then decide from there. But my experience, the antenna isn’t worth the hassle.
Nodakjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:46 AM   #10
Casual Camper

Teton Sucks

Quote:
PS Just FYI - Our camper came with the Teton HD Wifi Ranger which evidently also houses the antenna. There is a black coax and a white coax on it. I considered the possibility of them being installed backwards but that doesn't seem to be the case either.
We have the TetonHD on our 2608BS, it doesn't pull in TV at all. I ended up getting a small house-style antenna, strapping it to a length of PVC pipe and clamping that to the ladder. Immediately got 25+ channels. AntennaWeb shows most of the stations are within 20 miles or so, so signal strength shouldn't be a problem. That tells me that the Teton is the problem. Like you, I have also checked connections and continuity...
RV - 2021 Rockwood 2608BS
Ex-tenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:42 AM   #11

hmmn. AND you're getting full continuity on the coax from the roof antenna, all the way to the powered splitter? (assuming yes, and that the coax isn't damaged/compromised in any way), I wonder if the antenna is functioning at all. Did you check it for water intrusion, or to see if it's got power? Second, have you tried ancillary coax (just run down in through a window) - just to eliminate the possibility that you've got continuity, but some sort of interference on the TV signal?

So far, we've eliminated the TV as a problem, the cable from the roof is almost solved, only thing left is power and the antenna itself. It's not much of an antenna, granted, but it should be able to pull in SOMETHING (especially if you're getting 14 channels with your ancillary antenna).

Def puzzling.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:32 AM   #12

Uhh, I don't see where 4blessings stated that he ran the channel-scan function on the TV. With a perfect antenna and connections you still can't get any reception if you've gone 50 miles from home and haven't scanned for the channels in the new area.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:38 PM   #13

I would be interested to see what you finally do. PLEASE KEEP US POSTED TO THE FINAL SOLUTION
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:08 AM   #14

Our 2016 had a crank up Winegard antenna and it was awesome. The new Teton antenna/WiFi....stinks.
JVthePT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:40 PM   #15

Thank you for all of your help, suggestions and comments. I think we all agree that the Teton is a piece of junk.

UPDATE: I still don't have a confirmed diagnosis or fix but I haven't given up. I had previously pulled the outlet panel and tightened the connections underneath. Today I pulled the outlet panel again and disconnected the 3 connections marked "Antenna", "Cable" and "Set 2". I tested each one on the panel with the continuity tester. Set 2 (that goes to the bedroom) tested bad so I'm thinking that maybe that one connector is causing the problems. I ordered a new outlet panel today and supposed to be delivered Wednesday. Even if, after I switch them out, everything checks out good, I'm really not expecting much improvement just because of the quality of the Teton antenna itself.

Let me know your thoughts!
Old 05-24-2022, 02:12 PM   #16

Quote:
FYI, ours filled up with water. If you have the ability, you might pull it off and open it up and see. They had to replace ours.

The replacement I taped up the seams and bottom screw holes with electrical tape before I reinstalled it.

The circuit board inside the old one was trashed from the 12v being on with the water in it.

All better now, still not great but working like it's supposed to.

Does better with the stations that went to uhf. The ones that stayed on VHF are tough with a small antenna.

I also replaced the winegard wall panel because I felt the transfer button was flakey.

Everything but the coax was bad LOL.

Amazon has the winegard wall panel. The antenna you have to argue with wifiranger to get.
Old 05-24-2022, 02:14 PM   #17

My hand sketch of the connectionsClick image for larger version

Name:	20220424_140647.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	273885
Old 09-20-2022, 08:40 PM   #18
wjl

Teton H2O tv antenna

I have a 21 Roo 23IKSS that has a Teton HD WiFi Ranger combo unit. The tv antenna has never been effective. I assumed it was due to omnidirectional design. This past season I cound not even pickup any stations that were watchable. Yes the booster is on. All accesible connections were checked/tightened. I finally removed assembly from roof and disassembled saucer antenna. The saucer was full of water...metal surfaces corroded/rusted and I assume internal circuit board is toast. I am waiting for a replay from Forest River. Contacted Winegard who passed buck to WiFi Ranger(who they own) who then passed buck to F/R due to antenna/wifi unit is F/R only part. Picture taken after I tried using steel wool to clean metal surfaces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	teton - 1.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	279456  
wjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:08 AM   #19

Maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjl View Post
I have a 21 Roo 23IKSS that has a Teton HD WiFi Ranger combo unit. The tv antenna has never been effective. I assumed it was due to omnidirectional design. This past season I cound not even pickup any stations that were watchable. Yes the booster is on. All accessible connections were checked/tightened. I finally removed assembly from roof and disassembled saucer antenna. The saucer was full of water...metal surfaces corroded/rusted and I assume internal circuit board is toast. I am waiting for a replay from Forest River. Contacted Winegard who passed buck to WiFi Ranger(who they own) who then passed buck to F/R due to antenna/wifi unit is F/R only part. Picture taken after I tried using steel wool to clean metal surfaces.
If you really want to to attempt it, you could remove the circuit board and rinse it with distilled water, cleaning with a toothbrush. Unless you believe you can reassemble it in a watertight manner, it's not worth trying.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:53 PM   #20
wjl

Sorry about delay, F/R washes their hands of responsibility of their products to 2nd owners. So I bought a King OmniGo portible antenna and intend to replace Teton saucer with it and pull new coaxial cable thru existing opening in roof and remove wifi ranger wiring and disable. The whole Teton WiFi Ranger setup is just an advertising stunt by F/R to entice would be buyers into thinking their products have the latest technology when in fact it just causes extreme frustration to owners trying to use it. Why put a nice flat screen tv in these units when you have no chance of receiving tv reception by a worthless tv antenna. Should offer retrofits to replace with old Winegard Sensor antennas. Wow do I feel better!
wjl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna