Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 05:07 PM   #1

TV wall mount location?

Hello everyone. I'm new to the FR forum. I need info on where to find the tv wall mount backing plate behind the wall in the bedroom of my 2015 8299bs. i noticed a sticker on the wall marked "TV BACKER". Does anyone know the size of the "TV BACKER" plate thats behind the wall and its exact location? I have an existing wall bracket that i would like to mount but not sure where to drill the holes.Thanks.
ICU99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #2

The wall plates are not always behind the sticker. You can pull the cable and electric plates and feel around with a bent coat hanger. My previous trailer was off by about 10". Make sure if the backer wall is shared with a bathroom, you don't drill into the black tank stand pipe.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:56 PM   #3

Thanks. Will try the coat hanger.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:00 PM   #4

take some magnets and move them around until you can see the shape of the plate. If I remember correctly it is about 12x12. Not very thick steel. Did mine last year started with a 1/8 inch drill and once the hole for the mounting plate is through I made the hole larger for the screws I used. As memory serves me I tape the drill at 3/4 inch deep, so that I would not go through the wall. If you need mounting plates that match the outside bracket, get them here: https://shop.ramco-eng.com/collectio...-mounts/ms1114
bkool2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:16 PM   #5
World Wide Wanderer

Electronic stud finder might to do the job. I had one RV where they 'forgot' to install the plate. I just put a piece of plywood across a couple of studs, painted it to match then installed the TV mount on it.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:49 PM   #6

I asked FR and they sent me a Pdf of the wall engineering drawings showing the location of the plate. But use a stud finder to be sure it's there.
Rivasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #7

The backer board is generally from the ceiling and down 18" to maybe 24". The paneling is very thin so when you tap on it it sounds hollow. When you tap on the area with the backer, the sound is much more solid.

What I did when trying to locate mine was to pull a switch and 12 volt outlet on the wall, then use a small mirror to look up inside. Then I took a measuring tape and ran it up inside the wall, using my fingers to hold the tape measure up against the inside of the paneling. When the end of the tape bumped the backer, I took a measurement at the switch hole and wrote it down. Then, on the outside of the wall, I place the tape measure on the same spot and marked the wall at the top end of the tape with a piece of masking tape. That gave me the bottom of the backer on the outside of the wall. I then measured down from the ceiling to the masking tape. With that measurement, I went to the point of where the TV mount would be, measured down the same distance and marked it with masking tape. Taping the wall verified that it was correct.

While I had the switches and 12v outlets hanging out of the wall, I mounted the TV mount, then wired the TV inside the wall, including the coax. Very clean install with no wires showing. Make sure of where the existing wires are on the inside of the wall, so you don't damage them while putting on the mount or doing the new wire runs. Click image for larger version

Name:	P4210483.jpg
Views:	6314
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	135977
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #8

My sticker was off...I was able push on the wall and feel my tv location block...it was off a few inches.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions. I located the the backer plate by tapping on the wall. I actually thought i located a stud when i tapped on the wall but as it turns out i drilled into the wall and drilled through a metal plate. Lucky me. Project went smoothly.

Mike

Tags
cat, location, mount