Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 08:28 AM   #1

Two week 2.2K mile trip with the 2608BS

Got home yesterday after a twelve night trip to Eastern Montana and Western South Dakota. We gave our 2608 a good workout and it performed flawlessly. We stayed in full hookup sites, partial hookup sites and one no hookup site. We used the A/C and the furnace on the same days without a hiccup. We used the fridge and the water heater on both ac and propane, bingo. Ran the television on Dish Tailgator and campground cable and both did well, but did not try the over the air antenna.

Towing was great. I am very happy with how it towed behind my F250. But, I don’t think I would want to tow it behind a half ton but that’s just me. I had one day driving between Billings and Bozeman in Montana with some pretty strong winds. I was moved about a little and did slow down from 65 to 55 which helped. Never had a sway issue, I was just getting pushed to the side a bit, both truck and trailer. The trailer was loaded pretty heavy with clothes and personal items but I only carried about 12 gallons in the rear located FW tank. A full FW tank (60 gal +/-) makes a difference for me.

Most of my driving was on I-90 crossing several passes including the Continental Divide. I sure like the tow/haul feature on my F250, it got a good workout coming down those grades. I kept my flatland speed to 65 but did bog down to 40ish on the passes. Gas motor. I did drive some two lane state highways and that was no problem with my setup whatsoever.

Most of my many years of towing has been local within 2-3 hours of home with the exception of one cross state trip and one trip to Glacier Park. So I was interested in how both myself and my truck/trailer would do on a 2,200 mile trip and I’m happy to say both performed well!
Old 09-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #2

Thanks for the review, we are going to purchase a 2608bs as soon as the Covid rush to purchase RV's is over. None of the dealers in our area are willing to move from MSRP much because they don't have to right now. We will be pulling it with the same truck, just a 2016 version so it is nice to hear from actual experiences with this combo. We love the 2608BS.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #3

Just spent last week with our 2608BS in the White Mountains in eastern AZ. Camped at 9,000 ft at Big lake. Went great. Didn't run out of propane, water, or waste tank capacity. VERY happy with this trailer. I pull it with a GMC 2500 diesel, and like you, wouldn't want to pull it with a half-ton. But the 2500 does great. Equalizer hitch took all the 30-40 mph wind out on the way home too.
Glad you're enjoying your rig!
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #4

My best friend and his family are at Big Lake as I type this at work. Ugh.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:20 AM   #5

Full water tank towing?

Since both of you have towed the trailer and I have not, I have a question, have you towed with the water tank full and did you notice any changes in the handling of the trailer? We dry camp most of the time and carry our water so I'm concerned that the tank being at the back of the trailer might cause sway etc. Any other advice/experiences you can share about towing with full tanks.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
Since both of you have towed the trailer and I have not, I have a question, have you towed with the water tank full and did you notice any changes in the handling of the trailer? We dry camp most of the time and carry our water so I'm concerned that the tank being at the back of the trailer might cause sway etc. Any other advice/experiences you can share about towing with full tanks.
Lundy,

There is a definite difference when towing with the water tank full. Like you I have several places I go to that do not have water. When I am traveling with a full tank I find I get more tail wag than without. Only once did I have what I would describe as sway and I believe the sway control on both the truck and my hitch kept the sway contained. Meaning that the sway ended before I could reach for my brake controller to control it. After that event I did move some weight forward in the trailer to help offset the balance change with water.

I weighed my truck/trailer on a Cat Scale twice, once with water and once without. With water my trailer weight was 7500 lbs with only 9.9% tongue weight and without the trailer weighted 7000 lbs with 14% tongue weight.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #7

I don't tow with more than a few gallons in the tank. Too rear-heavy, plus I am not sure how safe it is to drive with that tank full. I've heard stories about tank mounts breaking on some trailers. I fill up at the campground or as close to it as I can get. I also have 2 15 gallon barrels in my truck that I can fill and transfer to the trailer.
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:07 PM   #8

Great to hear you had a wonderful experience. We love our 2608BS. We're currently on a month long trip through Florida. We pull with a 2000 GMC 2500 gas with the 7.4 engine (454 cub inch).

We look forward to one day making the Montana trip.
Apsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote