RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #1

Type of pin box on 5th wheel

OK while waiting on our camper to be built. Who the heck knows when that will happen ? I was wondering what type , make of 5th wheel pin box comes on the Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8298KS ? I can see in images that it says Turning Point , where you can adjust the pin box some with a plate they have added to it. Who makes this pin box ?
Also who makes the trailer frame for these Rockwood 5er's ?

It's our first 5th wheel so I'm learning more about them as I go.

Thanks
Ram 2500
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopesNC View Post
OK while waiting on our camper to be built. Who the heck knows when that will happen ? I was wondering what type , make of 5th wheel pin box comes on the Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8298KS ? I can see in images that it says Turning Point , where you can adjust the pin box some with a plate they have added to it. Who makes this pin box ?
Also who makes the trailer frame for these Rockwood 5er's ?

It's our first 5th wheel so I'm learning more about them as I go.

Thanks
Never mind I found out what and who makes it. Lippert.
Ram 2500
Old 10-29-2020, 01:12 PM   #3

OK so now I know who makes the pin box . I know how it can be locked in place too. My only question now is where do you get the lock down bolts from?
It takes two 5/8" - 11 x 2" lockout bolts you put in the back. Can any type bolt work? Are there extra bolts that come with the pin box from Rockwood? I found out more about this on Etrailer , but so far nobody has answered my questions about these bolts. Who supplies them or has them. I know they need 200lbs torque once in place to lock them in. That is about all I know. Anybody have an idea. Lippert is not fast to respond to any of my questions.
Ram 2500
Old 10-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #4

If you want to use the turning point feature, you remove the bolts from the back of the pin box. The hitch will arrive at the dealer with the bolts already supplied and in place, to be used in the conventional fashion. The pin box also comes with a universal wedge and necessary hardware to install the wedge so the pinbox is locked out at the fifth wheel hitch head if you wish to use the turning point feature.
Gwiggels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwiggels View Post
If you want to use the turning point feature, you remove the bolts from the back of the pin box. The hitch will arrive at the dealer with the bolts already supplied and in place, to be used in the conventional fashion. The pin box also comes with a universal wedge and necessary hardware to install the wedge so the pin box is locked out at the fifth wheel hitch head if you wish to use the turning point feature.
Gwiggels
Thank you for that information. It is helpful to know it comes with the turning point locked already. I needed that info for the Andersen hitch I have.

I have to go pick the camper up at the dealer 500 miles away and I do not want to have to mess with things anymore than I have to. The PDI is where I want to spend all my time. Not messing around some hitch.

How did you find this information? I searched and googled a lot and could not find this info or anything about the bolts other than a install manual that tells you what they are and where they go.

Thank you very much.
Ram 2500
Old 10-30-2020, 07:09 PM   #6

https://youtu.be/f2JjHwssJos

This video is very helpful. It is for the reese revolution pin box, but I believe it is the same for the turning point hitch. I dont know much about anderson hitches, but I believe you can only use the turning point hitch in the conventional manner on an anderson ultimate hitch, or else you would have 2 pivot points.

I'm sure anderson makes conventional fifth wheel hitches as well. I just wasn't sure which one you had.
Gwiggels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:25 PM   #7

I have that hitch and with the bolts it swivels on the pinbox instead of on the hitch. Reason is for short beds so the camper doesn't hit the truck cab when turning, this works well and doesn't require a slider hitch. If you ever pull with a short bed I recommend this setup, I did change to a different wedge instead of the universal, they make them for different hitches and it fits better with the one spec'd out for the hitch used. If you ever lose those bolts just get some grade 8 bolts that are easy to find.
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwiggels View Post
https://youtu.be/f2JjHwssJos

This video is very helpful. It is for the reese revolution pin box, but I believe it is the same for the turning point hitch. I dont know much about anderson hitches, but I believe you can only use the turning point hitch in the conventional manner on an anderson ultimate hitch, or else you would have 2 pivot points.

I'm sure Anderson makes conventional fifth wheel hitches as well. I just wasn't sure which one you had.
The video does help and I know where the bolts go for sure and how much to tighten them if I need to. Have torque wrench will travel.

Andersen doesn't make a conventional fifth wheel hitch , just the goose ball hitch type for 5th wheels.

They do make a good WDH though. I had one for 5 years and it always worked well and was easy to unhook or hook up. Was great for sway control on the travel trailer also.

Again thanks for your help on this. It is very much appreciated.
Ram 2500
Old 10-31-2020, 09:15 AM   #9
Befuddled wanderer

https://youtu.be/rTEIO8-ZWfQ

Check out this video from Lippert on how to set up the turning point hitch. It's a good explanation of how it works.

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc102bob View Post
https://youtu.be/rTEIO8-ZWfQ

Check out this video from Lippert on how to set up the turning point hitch. It's a good explanation of how it works.

Thanks.
Nice that they have a place to keep the bolts if you ever want to use the turning point function. With the Andersen hitch they will be staying in place to keep the turning point from working .
I just went through 6 or 7 text with my dealer who now understands what and why I have asked that they keep the bolts in place to keep the turning point from working. He is making sure that will happen. LOL will see when I go to pick it up.
Ram 2500

Tags
5th wheel, wheel