Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #1

Unwinterizing 8312ss

Hey all, never had to unwinterize our 8312ss before, and this year it's up to me. What do i need to do for the hot water bypass? is there 2 valves? 1? i was there when the guy winterized it, so i remember we took the filter out, so do i put that in first and then turn the valves? Or wait till everything is drained? And then put the filter back?

Thanks in advance.

Neil
nelly101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly101 View Post
Hey all, never had to unwinterize our 8312ss before, and this year it's up to me. What do i need to do for the hot water bypass? is there 2 valves? 1? i was there when the guy winterized it, so i remember we took the filter out, so do i put that in first and then turn the valves? Or wait till everything is drained? And then put the filter back?

Thanks in advance.

Neil
Fill up your fresh water tank with city water.
Turn on your pump and flush all sinks both hot and cold water lines then toilet.
After you totally get fresh clear water out of them you can move to your hot water heater that should have 3 valves.
1 for fresh water in
1 for hot water out
1 bypass valve between the two

Turn the water in valve on
Turn the hot water out on
Turn the bypass off.

Then go to your sink and turn hot water side on until you have water and no air coming out.
This may take some time as the hot water tank needs to be filled up all the way.

Take a look at this generic picture of the valves.

You can if you want add a 1/2 cup of bleech into the fresh water tank and flush it also thru the complete system until you get odor free water.

I'm sure other may have mor efor you.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	30554  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #3

Hey iggy, thanks for the quick reply. Let me ask you another question. We've never had the fresh water filled at all. Always been hooked up to water at a campsite. So would i need to fill the fresh water tank? Or just turn the water on at the taps, and let all the antifreeze run out?

As you can probably tell, I've never had to do this myslef. I've always had someone do it for me. So i don't want to ruin anything.

Neil
Old 05-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly101 View Post
Hey iggy, thanks for the quick reply. Let me ask you another question. We've never had the fresh water filled at all. Always been hooked up to water at a campsite. So would i need to fill the fresh water tank? Or just turn the water on at the taps, and let all the antifreeze run out?

As you can probably tell, I've never had to do this myslef. I've always had someone do it for me. So i don't want to ruin anything.

Neil
How did you add the antifreeze last fall will help answer the question.
If you just sucked the antifreeze up using the hose and pump and never added it to your fresh water tank than yes all you need to do is hookup a water hose and flsuh the system. This should flush the pink stuff out.

If you never had any water in the fresh water tank and plan to use the water for drinking I would sanitize the tank with bleech and and about 1/3 of a tank and let sit over night and flush out.

Here is link to a neat video on Youtube that wil explain how to clean fresh water tank for drinking.
How-To Sanitize the RV Water System by RV Education 101® - YouTube

Here is anothe rlink that may help also
http://www.ehow.com/how_5019274_sani...ater-tank.html
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #5

Hey Iggy,

Yes that's exactly what we did. Nothing has ever been in the fresh water tank. We've always been hooked to city water. Well for the 3 years we've owned the trailer anyway. On a permanent spot as well, so don't know if we'll ever need to use it.

So with the filter, i'm pretty sure we took it out and place in a bag in the sink, do we flush everything first , and then put it back in? Or put it in first? And is it a good idea to replace it every year?

NEil
Old 05-16-2013, 04:12 AM   #6

Hi Neil,

Flush the entire system with city water before replacing your filter. Personally, I'd also replace the filter each year too.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #7

The tech that winterizes mine puts all of the valves back to normal position after he winterizes so all I have to do is start using it in the spring. Makes it nice and easy,

Jack
jacksum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #8

I do that with mine too. Makes life that little bit easier when winter is finally over.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote