Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #1

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Update on Factory repair of the sidewall crack

Update on our Windjammer 3065 with a crack in the door side slide area. We were just informed that our camper has been repaired and is on its way back to us from the Rockwood/Flagstaff Factory in Indiana
It will be delivered to the RV dealer 7-miles from our home in NY. The camper should arrive in a week or so, we'll be notified by the Transport company of its scheduled delivery.
At the factory the camper received the following :

1.) 2-new redesigned and reinforced side walls (All 2012-Windjammer 3065 have these new walls)

2.) 2-new slide side walls because of the axles being pushed back to the rear 8"-inches.

3.) The camper was sent to the Dexter axle Factory to have the Axles pushed to the rear per the new re-design by Forest River. The frame was also reinforced in several areas forward and aft if the new axle placement. 2-new axles were installed with a new camber setting to improve tow-ability.

4.) A new roof was installed

5.) All windows were cleaned inside and out also the storm windows were removed and attachment points were reworked, reinstalled - also cleaned.(we had the storm window option)

6.) New Thermostat installed,rewired -- (we were having a on and off problem with the old one, seemed to have a short somewhere)

7.) Installed 4-new Day/Night shades in the living room area. Old ones were crooked from original build. (We didn't know we had a problem with them)

8.) Installed a new Stainless Steel Microwave and found a stainless Steel trim piece for installation. ( We had originally complained about this during the PDI at RVW) We had ordered off the 2010 guides and received a 2011 model at delivery, and the 2011 model had the spec's changed deleting the Stainless Steel microwave, received a black one. ---Originally told nothing could be done about this because it was a 2011 model change.----- Wife very happy with this surprise!

9.)Camper sent to a local Pressure testing and water leak detecting company. All passed with Certificate being included with paperwork of leak testing.

10.) Shower resealed and several doors and pocket doors adjusted and latches replaced. (New one to us, again didn't know we had a problem. We were very happy with fit and finish of our camper.)

---- That's about all , whew !! Hopefully, it will make it back OK. I'll update with some pictures when it gets here. I'll try to post some before and after pictures ! I'll have to be honest with everyone, I've been very impressed with Forest Rivers customer service to this point and the way we have been taken care of to this point ! Dave K.

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #2

Sounds OUTSTANDING Dave. Hope everything works better for you now.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #3

Thanks .......Funny thing is the crack was the only complaint about the camper......we were disappointed when I found it because we so very happy with camper. Hopefully that's all behind use now! I forgot to mention that the camper arrived at the factory on the 18th of August. They told us it would be 4-5 weeks for the repair. Only took 2-weeks !!

2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #4

Outstanding service, kudos to Forest River.

One question though, did the hitch weight go up with the axles being moved back?

JR
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #5

I will e-mail Forest River and find out.....you would think so. They also reinforced the frame by adding cross members so the weight of the whole camper would have changed ! I post up if i find anything out !

2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
Old 09-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #6

I am sure that all these repairs that they done to your trailer have cost more than a new trailer. In my case with my new 2011 1809s I am sure that it would have cost less to replace the trailer with a new one than all the works they done and the shipping return from Ontario Canada to Middlebury U.S.A. I guest you really have to need majors repairs before it is declared scrap and considering all the work they did on yours they certainly lost on this one versus a new replacement.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #7

BigRed... I was glad to read that the repair only took 2 weeks since we will be dropping our 3065W off at the factory in mid-October and will have to wait for the repairs to be made.
Did they change any of the interior color schemes? I read somewhere that when Forest River replaces the sides of the TT they have to use the current model years colors. Do you still have the original carpet and fabrics?
I'm also happy to read that Forest River and Doug gave such great service... it's encouraging.
Stevea1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #8

capucine

I am sure that all these repairs that they done to your trailer have cost more than a new trailer. In my case with my new 2011 1809s I am sure that it would have cost less to replace the trailer with a new one than all the works they done and the shipping return from Ontario Canada to Middlebury U.S.A. I guest you really have to need majors repairs before it is declared scrap and considering all the work they did on yours they certainly lost on this one versus a new replacement.

You know I have wondered just that thing......wouldn't it have just been easier to give someone a new camper ?? I have also read many different post about other people not just us that have had simular work done......not that I wanted a new camper or was trying to get a new camper but with the amount of work done....taking camper apart then rebuilding it seem allot more work than writing one off for a loss and giving a new camper off the line. As far as the interior colors and out side colors, we haven't had it returned yet..........hopefully this week !! They (FR) send the camper to a trucking dispatch company then it in there ball as far as delivery !

2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
They (FR) send the camper to a trucking dispatch company then it in there ball as far as delivery !
My tt was returned to the dealer 6½ weeks from the day I delivered it to the dealer. I had to wait another week to pick it up since there was damage to the tt caused by the delivery driver, broken steps on the curb side and broken trim and supports on the street side. Also had a deep scratch on a kitchen cabinet drawer. I asked what happened, but no one seemed to know the cause.
It was also missing the furnance mud dauber screens. One pass through storage door was different along with a few other odd and ends.
So be sure to check the tt over really well when you go to pick it up. Oh yeah, FR did pay my dealer for a 1 hour PDI.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #10

Update to the Update. *** having many issues with repaired unit.

1) - Came back with 2-different manufacture's tires (DURO & Carlisle)

2) - Forgot to reapply all the outside Graphic's ...like a white blank wall !!

3.) - Both slides now not closing completely at repair site a/c of axles being moved rearward 8-inches, The wheel wells are now into the slide side walls. -- Can you say water leaks.

4.) Camper returned to Factory with exterior washed and waxed, Interior spotless, they even noted that the camper was received in showroom condition. Trucking company was required to wash also any road dirt and bugs off before dropping off to factory. (On invoice papers).

a.) Camper returned to us covered in dirt and bugs...looked like he drove it down a muddy road somewhere ? Exterior covered with mud and bugs. I guess it doesn't matter how its returned to the customer.

b.) Interior had caulking and putty on floor throughout camper - rugs and lenoleum. Greasy hand prints on doors and door handles,and cabinets(must have been checking for something), a big dirt splash mark on the ceiling of the living room (not really sure what it was...it washed off)we did get pictures of everything.
Saw dust also in cabinets and throughout camper on the floors.!

**** some of the things listed as completed were not even done. Seemed as though they were rushed for some reason. The repair was originally supposed to take 3-6 weeks and to expect towards the 5-6 week duration. The camper was finished 2-weeks to the day it was returned to the factory. It also appeared to us that the repair itself wasn't well thought out. Other than the 2- new side walls that were re-designed because of the cracking. The repair for the axle shift was cobbed up for sure, nothing fit in that area of the repair. and that is in the wheel well area that is exposed to allot of water spray coming off the wheels. The unit was pressure tested but they don't test inside the wheel well area ( I called and asked). I now have more concerns that when the camper left for the repair.
Maybe I should have just left the ducktape on the crack and called it a day. Because we had nothing wrong with that camper other than the crack. We had it almost a year. It had never been back for any warranty service for anything, not even a loose screw.
I have taken pictures of everything and sent them off to the warranty managers office and they are currently looking into what happened. I have to be honest I have had nothing but praises for the warranty dept I was taken care of in a timely manor....now the factory repair people...not so much. Waiting to here more from FR.

2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
Old 09-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #11

I feel for you BigRed. That's inexcusable.
I truely hope they get their act together soon and take care of you properly.

Good luck.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #12

Keep us posted. What could have been a great story about FR now seems to be giant screwup. Obviously the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.
Its really very sad. All that was needed was just a little more time and effort.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #13

Big red: I am sorry you ended up with all these problems after the repairs at the factory. Our trailer went through a lot of repairs including a new rear wall and the trailer was separated from the frame for a new membrane etc and much more replacemants and you could not noticed any work mess up. In fact the only issue that I was not happy is that the trailer was brought to canada in february and the roads were full of salt causing a lots of mess on the outside from the spray of salt. The dealer cleaned it but I had to repaint the frame under because the paint did not like the salted road. It is not a good idea to carry a trailer in the salt but I gess they had no choice.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:10 AM   #14

Ok........I received a call from Doug Fought -- Rockwood/Flagstaff Warranty Manager. He called to talk to me personally after 3-emails explaining and sending picture's showing what I felt were inexcusable mistakes in the repair of our 2011 Windjammer 3065 (see above).
Doug felt it important to call me and talk. He noted that the Forest River repair facility usually takes pride in there repairs. He said what happened WAS inexcusable especially for a repair on something that was a design problem. He was just going to leave it at that because nothing would or could explain what happened. My e-mails and pictures were forwarded to the Plant Managers Office at the Rockwood/Flagstaff factory and repair facility. They were calling an employee meeting to explain that this will not happen again! (Someone is getting their ears rung!). They are currently in the works to hopefully, I say Hopefully bring my camper BACK to the factory for a second try. I say hopefully because this has never happened before ( supposedly) that a factory repaired camper would have to be brought back! Doug is trying to get his bosses to approve the costs of bringing my camper back! I'm not sure what the plan will be if it doesn't get approved but he said we'll cross that path when or if it comes.......so as of 5pm yesterday (Friday) Doug had not received approval, he had not heard a thing other than his bosses and there bosses were meeting to go over the e-mails and pictures that I sent to come up with a plan of action that may or may not involve the camper being returned! So waiting we are !! ONLY ME .... Figures . Everyone else that I'm heard from have said that there repairs were done over and above what they had expected! -- Dave

2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
Old 09-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #15

I am sure they will fix it right for you. Just the one with different brand of tires is inexcusable. You never do it on a car so why doing it on a trailer? and the rest of the story!!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #16

Good for you BigRed. At least they have taken the first step and admitted their mistake.
I'ts kind of funny how many "bosses" it takes to make what should be an easy decision

Hang in there and stay on top of 'em. Nicely but firmly.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #17

Well I just dropped mine off at the dealership to have my side wall fixed. Now I hope I don't have any issues like you did dave (bigred).
Dean And Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #18

I just heard yesterday our Rockwood Windjammer 3065 was ready.....heading out to Indiana for a factory tour and inspect our camper after the new (re-)repair. They (Forest River) said that I wouldn't be disappointed this time, and I'll be surprised ! There sure! So we'll see what they mean in a few days! I'm sure after my problems, they aren't going to let it happen to anyone else's cracked 3065 thats returned to the factory, mines cost them enough I believe. And they know I'm on this forum! So Wish me luck ! - Dave K.

2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
Old 10-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #19

[I'm sure after my problems, they aren't going to let it happen to anyone else's cracked 3065 thats returned to the factory, mines cost them enough I believe. And they know I'm on this forum! So Wish me luck ! - Dave K.]

I sure hope this proves to be true. The DW and I will be dropping our 3065 off at the factory in 9 days and the thought of a "re-repair" is scary.
We love the layout of this TT and were brokenhearted when we discovered our's had "the crack". We will be interrupting our travels to await the repairs so hopefully it will be one and done.
Good luck on yours and I look forward to your glowing report..
Stevea1956 is offline   Reply With Quote