Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #1

Upgrade 30A to 50A

My 2017 Windjammer 3006Wk has 30A service. I wish it was 50A. I believe that the distribution panel is a WFCO 8930/50, which is designed for either 30A or 50A service. I think that I can get a 50A cord, replace the cord receptacle with a 50 socket, and run one more wire feed from the socket to the distribution panel, and re-configure the distribution panel for the additional service wire.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks, Dan
Old 10-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #2

Nope, never needed 50 amp service but your plan seems a good one.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankirk View Post
My 2017 Windjammer 3006Wk has 30A service. I wish it was 50A. I believe that the distribution panel is a WFCO 8930/50, which is designed for either 30A or 50A service. I think that I can get a 50A cord, replace the cord receptacle with a 50 socket, and run one more wire feed from the socket to the distribution panel, and re-configure the distribution panel for the additional service wire.

Thanks, Dan
Dan, to do this correctly, you'll need to run at least 3 appropriate sized wires (L1, L2, and neutral) from the shore power cord receptacle to the distribution panel. I'd have to look at the ground to see if it also needs to be upgraded.

You need to see what size wire they put in for the 30 amp which is most likely going to be undersized for the 50 amp. How far a distance is it from where the shore power cord inlet is to the distribution panel inside the RV?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
Site Team

WM is correct. You'll need to run 4 wires from the receptacle to the power panel. The ones ran for the 30 amp service won't be big enough for the 50 amp service.

I'm looking at doing the same thing on our RV.

Another thing to think about is that it won't be easy to add circuits to the RV to fully utilize the 50 amp service.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #5

Certainly upgrading will require new conductors all the way to the distribution panel. I wouldn't think utilizing the new power would be an issue. Just be sure the breakers are balanced between L1 and L2. Adding new circuits could be a challenge, of course, depending on cable ruting.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #6
D W

Quote:

Thanks, Dan
It can, and has been done. Most of the time it is done with the intent to add another AC unit. Where folks run into trouble is that they install the new panel with premise that with the added amperage service they have 50 amps available everywhere. In most 30 amp service RV's, except for dedicated outlets such as microwave, frig, etc., the service outlets are usually one branch circuit on a 15 amp breaker. Both the 14 AWG wiring and the NEMA 5-15R outlets are rated for only 15 amps max. In essence, 15 amps is 15 amps, and the breaker trips. Some will then get the notion that they will install a 20 amp breaker in place of the 15 amp breaker which keeps tripping due to overload. That is when you're courting disaster. Certainly, you can rewire with 12 AWG, and add NEMA 5-20R's, but that is a tedious process.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #7

Quote:

Thanks, Dan
Dan, you will need to change all 4 wires from the receptacle on the outside of ur camper to your panel box. The three wires for the 30 A service are only #10. YOU will require 4 #6 wires to handle 50 A or you will overload the wiring and literally burning down your camper.

You will also need 2 50 A breakers for Main breakers in each side of your panel for your panel. I am not familiar with that panel and how it can be used as either a 50/50 or 30 amp. If the 30 amp you have now only feeds one side of the panel it is not a problem. If they are interconnected in the back and both sides have breakers that are fed from one Main breaker you will have to remove that interconnect or you risk feeding both sides of the 50 A service to a single buss bar and causing MAJOR problems

The individual circuit breakers in your panel will suffice for the wiring that they feed. They would have been sized by the factory for the potential load
Old 10-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #8

Have been thinking about going 50 Amp for years. Need some advice. Wicked Kitty is a 30 Amp with Generator. Gen in front, power supply and shore power in the rear. 30 feet from shore power plug in rear to transfer in the pass thru. Can the trailer be converted and leave the transfer and gen set up for 30 Amps. Would need to do some creative separation of circuits since I only have one positive wire from Gen Set. Like AC, TV, 12 volt system and Micro would run of the Gen. Other stuff not needed would not. Other wise I would have to run at least another wire and change the transfer which would be a witch and 2 costly for usens. Yea or Nay.

Also it is a 4 foot run from shore power plug to power supply.
Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #9

Why?

Curious why you want to upgrade the service? Are you routinely tripping the 30 amp service breaker? What are you wanting to run that you can't currently run? Just curious what your motivation is.
captaindomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindomon View Post
Curious why you want to upgrade the service? Are you routinely tripping the 30 amp service breaker? What are you wanting to run that you can't currently run? Just curious what your motivation is.
Have never been able to run the AC, Micro, and electric HW. Never have been able to run 2 electric heaters. Had to MOD the kitty with a extra plug to run 2 heaters. One less cord to put out and carrying.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portagie1968 View Post
Have been thinking about going 50 Amp for years. Need some advice. Wicked Kitty is a 30 Amp with Generator. Gen in front, power supply and shore power in the rear. 30 feet from shore power plug in rear to transfer in the pass thru. Can the trailer be converted and leave the transfer and gen set up for 30 Amps. Would need to do some creative separation of circuits since I only have one positive wire from Gen Set. Like AC, TV, 12 volt system and Micro would run of the Gen. Other stuff not needed would not. Other wise I would have to run at least another wire and change the transfer which would be a witch and 2 costly for usens. Yea or Nay.

Also it is a 4 foot run from shore power plug to power supply.
Depending on how it's currently wired and where the transfer switch is located, it certainly is possible. The issue will be that the genny breaker will now be the primary disconnect device when running on the genny. Which isn't necessarily a problem.

The transfer switch should be electrically located between the shore power line and the power panel. The genny should be connected to the other inlet side of the transfer switch.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portagie1968 View Post
Have never been able to run the AC, Micro, and electric HW. Never have been able to run 2 electric heaters. Had to MOD the kitty with a extra plug to run 2 heaters. One less cord to put out and carrying.
Ah, in that case it makes a lot of sense I think. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #13

A 30 amp service is a 120 volt, 30 amp 3 wire service. A hot, neutral and ground. I believe A 50 amp service is actually two separate 120 volt, 25 amp services. Four wire, with two hot wires, red, black, a neutral and a ground. If this is correct, the #10 wires of the existing 30 amp service is heavy enough for one leg of the two hot wires. Your idea to run one more wire (#10AWG) would be correct. Not sure about the existing panel though because it seems like the panel would have to have two separate busses.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Depending on how it's currently wired and where the transfer switch is located, it certainly is possible. The issue will be that the genny breaker will now be the primary disconnect device when running on the genny. Which isn't necessarily a problem.

The transfer switch should be electrically located between the shore power line and the power panel. The genny should be connected to the other inlet side of the transfer switch.
The transfer is 25 ft away from the shore power hook up in the pass tru. When the gen starts running the transfer should still do its job. Since U have 2 hot wires for a 50 the gen should replace one side with power. The other hot wire will do what ever it wants 2.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:15 PM   #15

Wow! It seems like an awful amount of work and expense just to run a heater. I think I would just buy a propane heater that is certified for indoor use and invest in some small tanks and a refill adapter for them. If I run into electrical problems with blowing the post fuses on my 30 amp service, I dig out the adapter and use the 50 amp fuses. My reasoning is that the 30 amp fuses may be a bit worn out from usage, but that is just me. I don't know a lot about the electrical... but I did sell some nice catalytic heaters at ACE Hardware that you could use indoors and ran on those small propane bottles. Radiant heat for 10 hours on a bottle?? Refill the bottles with the adapter??? Hmmm..... TOASTY!!!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
A 30 amp service is a 120 volt, 30 amp 3 wire service. A hot, neutral and ground. I believe A 50 amp service is actually two separate 120 volt, 25 amp services. Four wire, with two hot wires, red, black, a neutral and a ground. If this is correct, the #10 wires of the existing 30 amp service is heavy enough for one leg of the two hot wires. Your idea to run one more wire (#10AWG) would be correct. Not sure about the existing panel though because it seems like the panel would have to have two separate busses.
A 50 amp service is actually two separate 50 amp conductors out of phase with each other. So you get a total of 100 amps at 120 volts, or 50 amps if you are crossing both legs at 240 volts. Either way, you get 12,000 watts, or more than three times the wattage of a 30 amp service (3600 watts). So you are getting more than three times the power moving to a 50 amp service. And you would need to replace all the conductors, not just add a third conductor, if that makes sense. The reason they can use a common third return conductor is because they are out of frequency with each other. IANAE - I am not an electrician :-)
Old 10-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #17

Mark just burnt down the house.
Days camped 2014 33 . 2015 42. 2016 38. 2017 35. 2018 41. 2019 43. 2020 42. 2021 40.
mikes86gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes86gn View Post
Lol!
Old 10-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes86gn View Post
Indeed he did! You need to upgrade those 10 guage cables to 6 guage. Each leg is 50 amps, not 25.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #20

Thanks for all the responses! I'd like to install a second A/C. Also, it would be great to run the A/C, a hair drier, and the microwave at the same time without tripping a breaker. I'm going to look into this more. It seems the hardest part is running new wires from the cord socket to the distribution panel, but I don't think that will be too difficult.

Tags
upgrade