Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2022, 10:50 AM   #1

Upgrades to the Rockwood 190W factory solar package

This is a question for those who opted for the Rockwood / GoPower 190W solar package that was included on many MY2021 units:

The roof-mounted GoPower solar panel included a junction box to add a second panel to the system. Obviously, GoPower would like you to use their expansion pack, but I'm wondering who has added a panel from another manufacturer?

I am not an expert in this area, but I understand that the voltage / amperage should match or come pretty close to the original 190W panel.

Has anyone found a panel with comparable specs?
Old 03-02-2022, 11:01 AM   #2

You could use a renogy 200 watt panel with very little loss.

Your gopower:
20.4v
9.3a

Renogy:
22.6v
8.85a

In series:
43v
8.85a

This would net you 380 watts of solar. So about a 10 watt loss due to the panels not being identical.
carguy4471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:45 PM   #3
NPR

I have the same set up you mention and I am considering this one.

https://www.amazon.com/RICH-SOLAR-Mo...6&sr=8-18&th=1

20.4V
9.8a
Old 03-02-2022, 05:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPR View Post
I have the same set up you mention and I am considering this one.

https://www.amazon.com/RICH-SOLAR-Mo...6&sr=8-18&th=1

20.4V
9.8a
This one would work as well and net you 379 watts total if in series.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:18 PM   #5

I added an HQST 190-watt solar panel, connected in parallel with the Go Power 190-watt solar panel. I also have two more HQST 190-watt panels in the basement to be installed this spring.
If I recall correctly, the Go Power 30-amp pwm solar charge controller cannot accept series-connected panels because of the controller's voltage limit.
I could be wrong though.
Parallel connection doubles the wattage while series connection doubles the voltage, so read the specs of your controller.
P.S. I just looked at the Go Power 30-amp controller specs; max input voltage of 28 volts, max input amperage of 30 amps. Parallel solar panel connection is the only option if you still have the Go Power controller.
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LT View Post
I added an HQST 190-watt solar panel, connected in parallel with the Go Power 190-watt solar panel. I also have two more HQST 190-watt panels in the basement to be installed this spring.
If I recall correctly, the Go Power 30-amp pwm solar charge controller cannot accept series-connected panels because of the controller's voltage limit.
I could be wrong though.
Parallel connection doubles the wattage while series connection doubles the voltage, so read the specs of your controller.
The go power controller can only take 28V. So yes, do not series your panels together.

It is also limited to 30 amps. That means that 3 190 watt panels would be 29.4amps. To close for me. 2 panels would be my max on this controller.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy4471 View Post
The go power controller can only take 28V. So yes, do not series your panels together.

It is also limited to 30 amps. That means that 3 190 watt panels would be 29.4amps. To close for me. 2 panels would be my max on this controller.
Ha! You beat me to the specifications! I was editing my post while you posted the specs.
I tend to agree that three panels could exceed the 30-amp input limit, if the outside temperature was cold and the panels were in bright sunlight. I'm sure someone has tried it but I'm too old to be able to survive the shock of seeing "magic smoke" billow out of the controller.
My Go Power controller did an admirable job with two panels. Because of my planned expansion to four panels, I upgraded to a 60-amp mppt controller last fall. Amazon had a pretty good deal on a MakeSkyBlue controller so I thought I'd give one a try. No doubt, an mppt controller is an improvement, especially in low-light conditions.
I'm running out of room on my camper's roof. And at my age, cleaning the panels isn't a walk in the park. What's the saying? It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LT View Post
Ha! You beat me to the specifications! I was editing my post while you posted the specs.
I tend to agree that three panels could exceed the 30-amp input limit, if the outside temperature was cold and the panels were in bright sunlight. I'm sure someone has tried it but I'm too old to be able to survive the shock of seeing "magic smoke" billow out of the controller.
My Go Power controller did an admirable job with two panels. Because of my planned expansion to four panels, I upgraded to a 60-amp mppt controller last fall. Amazon had a pretty good deal on a MakeSkyBlue controller so I thought I'd give one a try. No doubt, an mppt controller is an improvement, especially in low-light conditions.
I'm running out of room on my camper's roof. And at my age, cleaning the panels isn't a walk in the park. What's the saying? It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop.
Extendable scrubber/squeegee pole? I like them!
Old 03-02-2022, 08:13 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for your comments. So the consensus seems to be that I'm not stuck with matching with the GoPower-branded panel - as long as the specs are close.

I'm also considering upgrading the controller, so will definitely look to upsize. Not sure about others, but I have not been impressed with the GoPower 30A controller.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy4471 View Post
Extendable scrubber/squeegee pole? I like them!
Honestly, I've been trying figure out some kind of hinged pole like that.
I think I'm going to get one of those expanding ladders and just lean it against the top edges of the camper. That way I wouldn't need to walk around on the roof.
I looked up the specs for my HQST panels;
Max Power at STC:190W
Open Circuit Voltage:24.3v
Short Circuit Current:10.15A
Optimum Operating Voltage: 20.3V
Optimum Operating Current: 9.3A
Dimensions:60 x 26.8 x 1.4 in (1489 x 670 x 35 mm)
Weight:24.2 lbs (11 kg)
Old 03-04-2022, 10:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrawford View Post
This is a question for those who opted for the Rockwood / GoPower 190W solar package that was included on many MY2021 units:

The roof-mounted GoPower solar panel included a junction box to add a second panel to the system. Obviously, GoPower would like you to use their expansion pack, but I'm wondering who has added a panel from another manufacturer?

I am not an expert in this area, but I understand that the voltage / amperage should match or come pretty close to the original 190W panel.

Has anyone found a panel with comparable specs?
Our 2017 FR TH had GoPower 200 watt system. I parallelled a 180 watt no brand panel and came close to doubling output.

I'd say, get close and do not sweat it. Contrary to the example above, with the GoPower 30 amp PWM Controller you cannot run the panels in series, so you may suffer some loss in the wire from the roof down when you parrellel the second panel, But hey, just get it done then see what you need to do to perfect things later.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrawford View Post
Thanks everyone for your comments. So the consensus seems to be that I'm not stuck with matching with the GoPower-branded panel - as long as the specs are close.

I'm also considering upgrading the controller, so will definitely look to upsize. Not sure about others, but I have not been impressed with the GoPower 30A controller.
There is some loss in any system, but we found that running two GC2 batteries with our then 380 watt system and the GP PWM Controller worked fine. Unless you're a fanatic, having the batteries pretty well topped off by 10:00 or 11:00 in the morning on a sunny day was just fine for us.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Unless you're a fanatic, having the batteries pretty well topped off by 10:00 or 11:00 in the morning on a sunny day was just fine for us.
I wish!
I guess that's one of the differences between Ontario, California and Ontario, Canada. Not quite as much sun here!
Old 03-14-2022, 02:04 PM   #14

So I so new to this stuff. I have a Rockwood and it has the same Go power 190 watt system. I was wanting to add another panel as you mentioned in this post. Im confused as to series or parallel. If I just used the connector on top of the trailer will it just plug in?
terrydunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 05:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrydunn View Post
So I so new to this stuff. I have a Rockwood and it has the same Go power 190 watt system. I was wanting to add another panel as you mentioned in this post. Im confused as to series or parallel. If I just used the connector on top of the trailer will it just plug in?
It's easy to add a second panel. Buy a set of branch connectors, which will plug into the fitting on the roof of your camper. The two wires coming out of each solar panel will plug into the branch connector, and you're done.
The GoPower solar charge controller will only accept panels connected in parallel because of the controller's voltage limitation.
Old 03-14-2022, 05:53 PM   #16

Here’s a short video showing how the connection is made.
https://youtu.be/nWq_qS986cg
Old 03-15-2022, 11:55 AM   #17

There have been a lot of answers provided above, so I assume that you realize that this is a pretty easy upgrade. I added two 200w NewPowa panels, using the formulas mentioned previously. Wired in series, I will experience a little bit of loss (approximately 30w), but I designed the system accordingly. Good luck with the upgrade.
FiremedicPQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:03 PM   #18

Thank you everyone, I appreciate all your advice
terrydunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:46 PM   #19
Open Space Wanted

Figured since this a Rockwood forum I'd share a video I came across last year and had bookmarked.

Not a fan of the exposed long wiring and tape but at least he did it himself and didn't have a foreman watching every move.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
Figured since this a Rockwood forum I'd share a video I came across last year and had bookmarked.

Not a fan of the exposed long wiring and tape but at least he did it himself and didn't have a foreman watching every move.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
All in all, not a bad job and pretty affordabe. I'd have done a couple of things differently but nothing dramatically different.
I'd probably look at other ways to secure the wiring but eternabond tape seems to be the most popular way.
Thanks for posting the video.

Tags
factory, rockwood, solar, upgrade