Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2022, 12:04 PM   #1

USB outlets on retractable tower power (GEO PRO)

Good day all! Can anyone tell me if the USB ports on these GEO PRO's (20BHS) need shore power (or inverter on) in order to operate? I know there are USB's for each bunk bed, one on the GO POWER solar controller and two on the retractable tower of power by the main bed. Just wondering if these will work while boondocking.... I have not taken possession of my 20BHS yet that I ordered last September. Thanks for any feedback
Leotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:12 PM   #2

Typically, USBs are wired for 12v (save for any USB charging ports wired to be built into a 120v plug) and don't need inverter (or shore power).

I think you can pretty much take this to the bank, but your mileage MAY vary (people are reporting wiring differences even in same model/same year/same equipped trailers), so make sure to check!

Hope this helps.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:16 PM   #3

Most of them rely on 120V. Perhaps someone with your model can check the wiring for you.

I've always found that to be a poor design that the USB portion isn't separately wired from the DC supply. Most likely they are supplied by one manufacturer, therefore all the same regardless of RV model or plug location (bed area/counter top).

edit: for reference https://www.recpro.com/rv-usb-pop-up-charger-15-amp/

2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 257BHS
2019 Ford F150 Super Crew 3.5 Eco Boost Max Tow Package
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 05:04 PM   #4

I think the USB ports are dependent on the whole tower having 120V going to it. There's only a single cord going to that location that I can see on our 20BHS. I haven't been able to get a clear picture on where the tower is installed to see they wired a receptacle in the headboard or if they cut the plug off and connected it that way.

The link someone else shared indicates it's also 120V with no mention of a 12V input.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:57 PM   #5

Tower

Mine was only supplied with 120 AC as I had to replace the broken original with another that also broke.

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:36 AM   #6

Based on the other comments, the pop-up USB+120 Vac outlets seem to have been designed for residential use and co-opted for RV use.

If your planned use is boondocking, you could be better off just getting one or two 12 Vdc USB outlets and installing them in spots where it's convenient to tap into 12 volt wiring. Amazon has dozens of styles.
https://www.amazon.com/12-volt-usb-o...olt+usb+outlet
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:48 AM   #7
Dobbs from WI

Another option for tapping the 12 volt is to replace the light(s) near the bed with fixtures that include a USB port.
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:11 PM   #8

On my 2509s, my power tower is 120v only. Its on the same circuit as the GFCI in the bathroom. Oddly enough, the sticker on top of the tower said it was inverter powered. The dealership said it was miswired from the factory, but I contacted Forest River and was shown the wiring schematic that clearly showed it was GFCI 120v, not inverter powered.The FR tech was confused why the sticker was even present on my 2509s.

Speaking of the power tower, are they just cheap quality? The top hat part on my original one doesn't click down in a locked position and no longer sits flush. The warranty one that I received to replace the original also has the same problem and doesn't sit flush with the counter top.
beatstanfurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:46 PM   #9

Answered your own question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatstanfurd View Post
Speaking of the power tower, are they just cheap quality? The top hat part on my original one doesn't click down in a locked position and no longer sits flush. The warranty one that I received to replace the original also has the same problem and doesn't sit flush with the counter top.
It seems like you have answered your own question. Maybe you can find another brand with similar or larger dimensions.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 03:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
Another option for tapping the 12 volt is to replace the light(s) near the bed with fixtures that include a USB port.

That's what I did, new light fixtures had USB port.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geo pro, power, tow